Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:48 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,148,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If black folks didn't originate in Africa, where in the hell did they originate from then?
According to Anthropologists EVERYONE originated in Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 09:55 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,119,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
People don't call themselves African-American because they have slave ancestors. We say African-American because Africa is a place where our ancestors come from, regardless of if they were slaves or not. I'm Black and I don't have a problem with being referred to as an African-American. If Italians can say Italian-American to give reference to where they are from then so can we. The same is true for a Mexican-American or a German American, Irish American. Of course, some of us can get even more deep as referring to ourselves as Nigerian-American, Ghanian-American, Senegalese-American or something like that.
Italian-Americans, etc., IMO, hyphenate b/c of their culture. There are VERY few black people in America who know anything about African culture. If they are directly descended from Africa, eat African food, talk to each other in whatever language, they are African-American. Just b/c you're black doesn't mean you should call yourself African-American.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:01 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,119,992 times
Quote:
But they have African blood and to most of us as Black Americans/African-Americans, that's what it is about. We are giving a link to our background and ethnicity. That's really all that it is. Some use the term to show a connection to African (and that's fine too). However, there is also those who just use it to describe who they are as a ethnicity.

Also, you guys, don't forget that there IS an African-American culture. There are many things that are common to African-Americans that were developed during or retained from the days of being a person in the land of the United States who descended from Africans beginning in the 1600s.

So ... there's nothing wrong with identifying with those who were instrumental in your culture. If you read about Africans in the United States back in those days you will see that Black Americans DO have a culture and it goes back to Africa.

Just like an Italian or a German. Yet, for some reason, people always try to treat us Black Americans as if we can't have a heritage and have a label for that.
It's not necessary to give a link to your background/ethnicity. It's not something that needs to be advertised. I think most blacks in the US know nothing of their actual background/ethnicity anyway (sure, their ancestors all came from Africa HUNDREDS of years ago), so it's disingenuous to refer to yourself as African-American if that is the case.

My ancestry goes back to Cuba, Spain, England, Scotland and some other places I can't remember. I really only acknowledge the Cuban part b/c my father is full Cuban while my mom is a "mutt." However, despite whatever my bloodline is, I was not raised with Cuban traditions (maybe some of the foods, but that's b/c I spent the first 8 years of my life in Miami), so I would not feel comfortable calling myself Cuban-American. It implies a culture that just does not exist for me.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:04 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,636,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Some say that blacks should not be referred to as African Americans because they have no relations with the African Continent while others say the term "black" takes the legacy away from slave ancestors who did not choose to leave Africa.
Africans are mostly the ones who complain we should not use the term African-American because we have never stepped foot in Africa. I guess. I don't even know anymore. I call myself by my national origin. Haitian-American.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:06 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,389,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Very true, but most people don't go back 40,000+ years when describing their origins. :-)

Anyway, America is a country of sub-cultures making it useful, interesting, and even fun to identify ourselves by our subtle shades of cultural differences.

It doesn't make anyone any less American to hyphenate. Or should we drop our surnames, too?

WASPs from Connecticut, Italian-Americans from the Bronx, African-Americans from the deep south, Hispanics from northern New Mexico, and German-Americans from Wisconsin all have distinct cultural values and practices stemming from their diverse origins. To ignore that would be obstinate.

Yet they are all equally American and share American values and identity. Let them have their hyphens if they want them.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:12 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,172,047 times
Gee gosh ! I'm sure glad the US has gotten past that race thingy! Yup! Can't play the "race card" in a country so oblivious to race!!!!!

Black or African American? Which is More Accurate in Identifying Slave Descendants?

Overrespresentation of blacks and other minorities in federal jobs ( 1 2 3 4 5)

News, Where are the people of color in national parks

Add these threads to ALL the many others picking on, finding fault, "wondering innocently why " and all the other crap that NO ONE EVER APPLIES TO WHITES and you get racism supreme in America....

Old 08-07-2011, 12:37 PM

316 posts, read 560,954 times
Quote:
It makes everyone in the world no different from each other.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,248,466 times
Quote:
So! If you want, refer to yourself as AA then. I don't care. But I'm DEFINITELY an African American.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:45 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,513,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just wanted to ask OP:

Why is it important to distinguish which of us were slaves? Should we be identifying which of us descends from someone who owned slaves? Should we identify which Americans came here after 1900?

My family, both sides, came here prior to 1750. Should I be able to identify myself somehow (other than DAR membership, lol) as an "original American" since my ancestors fought (and some died) in the Revolutionary War?

Why isn't it enough that we are all simply - Americans?
What point are you trying to make with this one?

Here's another conundrum for you.
My ancestry can be traced to slavery of a sorts although I'm a white anglo saxon male. British Navy used to "press gang" a significant portion of their members to release them after they performed some sort of duty "above and beyond" or simply didn't require them any longer and one of mine was allowed exit while in the U.S., prior to it becoming the U.S. of course.
Also have release document proving a great great ... grandfather fought in the Civil War and was discharged after being wounded in the hip by a musket ball. Have some Cree backgound as well, so I've coverd all the same bases as anyone else. Does this give me the right as a Canadian to call myself a "white Amuurikan", a whity born on the NORTH AMERICAN continent? Just ask'n.

Your history should have absolutely nothing to do with how you are "defined" today. You're either proud of being an American of U.S. citizenry or you're somehow desirous of some "special status" for whatever reason.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:22 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,841,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
With all due respect, why must you compare your heritage to that of whites? It's not a contest.
I didn't compare anything, I expressed why I consider myself an American moreso than an African American, mainly because my ancestry over the past 300 some odd years has my predecessors in America. Why are you trying to make it a contest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Italian-Americans, etc., IMO, hyphenate b/c of their culture. There are VERY few black people in America who know anything about African culture. If they are directly descended from Africa, eat African food, talk to each other in whatever language, they are African-American. Just b/c you're black doesn't mean you should call yourself African-American.
A large percentage of black people know a lot about African culture. Much moreso than the average white person. You probably don't know but the black vernacular dialect (what so many people call Ebonics) is rooted in African language structure and is a certified dialect.

I know of different tribes in Africa, I know some words in different African languages. I know about African food and know how to make it. I could say the same thing about Italians, I know some words, how to make their food, about their culture. I could also say the same about Chinese or Mexican or Vietnamese. What difference does it make and why do you care so much about what people chose to identify themselves as?

Quote:
It's not about your nationality when people say African-American. It is a reference to your ethnicity, background, ancestry or even your culture (there are some people who either are closer to an African culture or who have studied African culture and implemented it in their household and life). I have mixed ancestry as well, but to me, ... I am a Black American or African-American. Like I said in my post above, people only tend to talk about these things in specific situations. So, if the need arises or someone asks, I can add or explain my other ancestry because it may be appropriate for the conversation. However, the truth is that I am predominantly of African ancestry, so that's what I choose to identify as.
I know many of the arguments concerning why black people want to call themselves African Americans. Like I said, my husband considers himself African American. We have very interesting and heated discussion sometimes about the topic (he is very passionate about this subject). But what I bolded above in your quote is the exact reason why I consider myself a Black American. My ethnicity (mixed, not primarily African), culture, background, and ancestry are American. I have traced my family back to the early 1700s, before there was even a USA. I love being an American and am happy that I am an American. I am equally honored and happy to have African ancestry and I love African people. Some think I am nuts as I am even considering retiring in Africa. I know all the stereotypes about Africa and Africans are not true. I love being black and love my blackness, my nappy hair, my big lips, everything that is African about me. But I have never been to Africa, I do not have a direct connection to Africa. I am an American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies