Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 01:12 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,718 times

Advertisements

Fed promises to keep rates low for at least 2 years - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/fed-under-pressure-act-world-markets-swoon-050130864.html - broken link)

Can we fire this dip$hit and bring back Paul Volcker?

Virtually 0% interest rates + multiple QE's is as unsustainable as our debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 01:13 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Fed promises to keep rates low for at least 2 years - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/fed-under-pressure-act-world-markets-swoon-050130864.html - broken link)

Can we fire this dip$hit and bring back Paul Volcker?

Virtually 0% interest rates + multiple QE's is as unsustainable as our debt.
How about firing the whole Fed by abolishing it? The Fed is possibly creating a bubble by keeping interest rates this low for too long. If I remember right, when Greenspan was Chairman and the dot-com bubble burst, the Fed lowered interest rates a lot and gave rise to the housing bubble?

Old 08-09-2011, 01:14 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Look at the Fed go... They are trying to get Obama re-elected.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:16 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,620 times
If anyone paid attention to the statement...it translates to...the economy will not improve as long as ObamAA+ is in the White Crib.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:18 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
If anyone paid attention to the statement...it translates to...the economy will not improve as long as ObamAA+ is in the White Crib.
After rereading it, I think you're right.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:20 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Good angle on it. Fed won't raise rates until after the election.

Also, in before some lib accuses you of racism

Old 08-09-2011, 01:21 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Weakened, flattened, depressed, extended period exceptionally low (to mid 2013) the words used by the FED today are clues. There were 3 votes of decension in today's FED vote (basically a mutiny).

Old 08-09-2011, 01:23 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Actually, the date given is when Bernake concludes his term.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:37 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
Sounds like a plan to me. Are you guys all wealthy retirees? Sadly, Americans should not be in debt...and god forbid unsecured debt with "variable interest rates." But a lot of Americans are in that sort of debt currently...So keeping interest rates low for a limited time:

1. Allows the people with adjustable rate mortgages that they couldn't refinance to avoid default. A couple of these guys are still hanging on to their McMansions because interest rates haven't gone WAY up. They may not deserve these homes, but whatever...we have enough defaults currently.

2. Allows students with adjustable rate student loans to not default - Hopefully they'll pay attention to the debts and pay them off ASAP before rates rise. A big jump in rates right now would murder a lot of these people.

3. Allows people with credit card interest and lines of credit with variable rates to pay off the balances. If interest rates jumped to say 30%, a lot of people would probably default on the unsecured debt.

So, while nobody should live above their means...I believe an instant jump in interest rates would screw a lot of people...especially banks. LOL I mean, there's nothing to sell if you have a bunch of defaults on unsecured debts.

I don't like banks, but somehow I think a big bunch of NEW defaults now on unsecured debt may not be super peachy for the economy. Thus, I am OK with the temporary reprieve. I thought rates would go through the roof after the downgrade...thus giving the economy a final one-two-punch.

As long as we can do something about employment and innovation etc, then the lower rates kind of gives the US a shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies