Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 04:49 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
With the battle over whether to extend the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy shaping up as the major political event of the fall, opponents of repeal were handed a bounteous gift this summer when Bill Gates, Warren Buffett and 38 others announced that they formed a pact to give at least half their wealth to charity. After all, what better illustration could there be of the great social good that wealthy people can do when the government lets them keep their hard-earned dollars to spend as they please?
Read the rest of the article here: The Charitable-Giving Divide - NYTimes.com

One thing I have questioned in recent days is why upper-income people tend not to give as a great of a percentage of their income as lower-income people. After all, one would naturally expect lower-income people to give a much lower portion or none of their paltry earnings to charity, as they have their own needs and basic wants to meet. People with high incomes often have a great amount of superfluous income and could easily sacrifice a large portion of it without seeing a significant reduction in their standard of living, which would still be high. Yet according to this article, it does not work this way.

This raises a number of questions: Are the wealthy simply selfish, with an "I got mine" mentality, or are there other explanations? Do they tend not to have any experience with poverty, and hence are unable to sympathize with the poor and needy? Do they believe what additional amount they pay in taxes covers their obligations towards charity?

Also, just an anecdotal observation, but I've noticed that the very well-off tend to donate more to charitable causes involving animal welfare. Has this been your experience? If so, why do you think this is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 04:55 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
The question is, If liberals are so concerned about disparities then why don't they give more at all?

Study: Conservatives More Generous Than Liberals
-- Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).

-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.

-- Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.

-- Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.

-- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:59 PM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Why don't the wealthy give away a greater proportion of income than the poor?
How much have you given?

Old 08-09-2011, 05:03 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
The question is, If liberals are so concerned about disparities then why don't they give more at all?

-- Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).

-- Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.

-- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.
I have read that too.

I've read that it is actually religious practice that influences charitable giving. Conservatives have been shown to be more active in practicing their religion than liberals, so conservatives tend to give more than liberals, although religious liberals do tend to give a similar amount as religious conservatives.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

Also, just an anecdotal observation, but I've noticed that the very well-off tend to donate more to charitable causes involving animal welfare. Has this been your experience? If so, why do you think this is?
I'm not well off but I donate more to animal causes myself.
At least they don't try to milk and scam the systems.

I do donate food to food pantries and have volunteered there and am just disgusted to see how some come in better dressed than I could ever be and treat it as a free supermarket.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:07 PM

1,019 posts, read 590,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Read the rest of the article here: The Charitable-Giving Divide - NYTimes.com

One thing I have questioned in recent days is why upper-income people tend not to give as a great of a percentage of their income as lower-income people. After all, one would naturally expect lower-income people to give a much lower portion or none of their paltry earnings to charity, as they have their own needs and basic wants to meet. People with high incomes often have a great amount of superfluous income and could easily sacrifice a large portion of it without seeing a significant reduction in their standard of living, which would still be high. Yet according to this article, it does not work this way.

This raises a number of questions: Are the wealthy simply selfish, with an "I got mine" mentality, or are there other explanations? Do they tend not to have any experience with poverty, and hence are unable to sympathize with the poor and needy? Do they believe what additional amount they pay in taxes covers their obligations towards charity?

This is a treat example of GIGO (Garbage In - Garbage Out).

Old 08-09-2011, 05:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
The wealthy used to. Then the government decided it could do a better job than charities and used our taxes for that. Now you have social welfare programs to take the place of charities.

Can't have it both ways folks.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:21 PM

915 posts, read 3,181,149 times
If that is your theory, let's start with all the A, B, C and D celebrities first! Those dumb asses are the one who never can keep their stupid mouth close but keep voicing about saving this and that but yet, they never seems to contribute much except maybe a few celebrities.
Where is Bono, where the motherland of Ireland needs him? I guess he is too busy saving some other countries? Why they moved their based in Ireland to Holland? Avoiding taxes eh?

Old 08-09-2011, 05:24 PM

487 posts, read 382,911 times
The more substantial question is why don't wealthy liberals VOLUNTARILY give a greater portion of their income away to various foundations?

Old 08-09-2011, 05:25 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post

If you remove the donations given to churches, liberals give slightly more that conservatives. How much of this battle do you think is even relevant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies