Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 11:18 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,025,526 times

Advertisements

The Obama administration publicly announced Monday that it has denied immigration rights to Bradford Wells and Anthony John Makk -- a gay couple in San Francisco that has been married for seven years -- and ordered the deportation of Makk to his native Australia, according to SFGate. Makk applied for permanent residency as a spouse of a U.S. citizen when his visa expired, but he was denied, as his same-sex marriage is not federally recognized.

Makk is the primary caregiver to Wells, who suffers from AIDS. The couple has lived together for 19 years and legally married in Massachusetts in 2004.

Although President Obama announced just last month that he would fight to repeal the controversial Defense of Marriage Act that bans same-sex marriage, his administration cited that very act in the decision.

Until the act is repealed, the White House has vowed to enforce it on a case-by-case basis. In this case, Makk has lived in the United States for more than 20 years, owns a San Francisco business, has no criminal history, has never lived here illegally and is the primary caregiver to his husband.

The timing of the deportation is especially stressful for the ailing Wells, who suffers from advanced AIDS and was rushed to the emergency room in June with symptoms of a heart attack, according to SFWeekly. Wells could join Makk in Australia, but he would be forced to give up his medical insurance.

Bradford Wells And Anthony John Makk, San Francisco Gay Married Couple, Split By Deportation (UPDATED)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 11:37 PM

I figured the liberals on this forum would shrug this one off & I was absolutely right.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:22 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,988,843 times
They call themselves liberal????? Ughhhhhhhhh.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,777,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I figured the liberals on this forum would shrug this one off & I was absolutely right.
Sure looks like you were.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:42 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,446,632 times
There is a minor thong called the Defense of Marriage Avt that prohibits the Feds from recognizing same sex marriage. I'm glad Obama is following the law. There ate worse fates in this life them being sent to Austraila.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
There is a minor thong called the Defense of Marriage Avt that prohibits the Feds from recognizing same sex marriage. I'm glad Obama is following the law. There ate worse fates in this life them being sent to Austraila.
Its the principal of the matter & these types of things are taken on a case by case basis anyways.

The husband was caring for his spouse of 19 years whom is dying of advanced AID's & Obama deports him.

What ever happened to Obama being so pro-gay rights now, in San Francisco of all places.

Now the man will be left to suffer & die without his loving spouse by his side.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:46 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,855,792 times
Quote:
Why do you think that was a wrong decision?

Quote:
Its the principal of the matter & these types of things are taken on a case by case basis anyways.

What ever happened to Obama being so pro-gay rights now, in San Francisco of all places.
Being pro-gay rights doesn't entitle the President to override existing laws. He is opposed to DOMA, if you care about such instances, support the President in getting it repealed.

Last edited by EinsteinsGhost; 08-12-2011 at 10:58 AM..

Old 08-12-2011, 10:53 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,183,739 times
A sad situation indeed. This is a good example of why DOMA needs to be repealed. Hopefully they can appeal their case in court and get the decision reversed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies