Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:45 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I don't think the US government had that much money in 1811. Nor was the country the size it is today.
You think it didn't have that much money as it does now?

Have you looked at our debt lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Well, let's cut back on government subsidies to the rural hospitals, too. Why stop with airports?
Absolutely. Lets do.

Next?

Old 08-15-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Not to nitpick, but rights can only be protected by law. It is privilege that is legislated. "Fairness" falls into the privilege sector and "fairness", as perceived by the House and Senate, plays a part in dang near every piece of legislation passed.

My rights are mine, inalienable, mine and mine alone. You have absolutely no authority over those, nor does anyone else. Care to read the constitution sometime or does it take a gun stuck into your muzzle to respect such?

Old 08-15-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomba View Post
Hey brainiac, where does that internet food come from?? You ever try to order fresh vegetables and fruit and have it shipped. Get real.
Who are you responding to, and what is your point?

Old 08-15-2011, 02:53 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Those rural flights are literally a matter of life and death in some remote places (Alaska's bush for example). And there's no way in heck the average person in those areas could afford a $4,000 flight in an emergency or for the few shopping trips for supplies each year.

If everyone feels these should go away, so should subsidies for urban airports, roads, etc. They're all being propped up and made affordable by the government.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:06 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
Regular scheduled flights to some rural airports will be cut back or abolished if subsidies are removed. That's fine. As others have alluded to, the price of the ticket should reflect the true cost of the service. Even if the commercial airlines pull out of some airports there are always charter flights that could be scheduled. The idea that someone people will suddenly be cut off from the rest of the world just because their taxpayer subsidized airfares disappear it ludicrous. Airfares in general are too cheap. Adjusted for inflation they haven’t gone up in 20 years.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:19 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
My rights are mine, inalienable, mine and mine alone. You have absolutely no authority over those, nor does anyone else. Care to read the constitution sometime or does it take a gun stuck into your muzzle to respect such?
What on earth are you talking about? I stated much the same thing when I said that "rights" can only be protected by law, not granted, and I was responding to another poster who said that rights were granted. It is privilege that is granted.

I have been a strong and consistent supporter of rights on this forum, including the right of self-defense.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:23 PM

378 posts, read 707,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Those rural flights are literally a matter of life and death in some remote places (Alaska's bush for example). And there's no way in heck the average person in those areas could afford a $4,000 flight in an emergency or for the few shopping trips for supplies each year.
People shouldn't live there if they can't afford the cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
If everyone feels these should go away, so should subsidies for urban airports, roads, etc. They're all being propped up and made affordable by the government.
Sure.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:33 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Hardpressed to feed themselves? Are you kidding me? City dwellers would buy their food from people who can pay for their own travel, or from overseas.
Would you, as a city dweller, really believe that if truckers all took their vacations the same week you would be eating at the end of the week. It sure sounds like that.

I might insert here that the federal government has made it a crime for truckers to go on strike for this very reason. However, the DOJ would have a hell of a time proving that if they all "accidentally" went on vacation at the same time. Of course, you do know that food stores in New York City would be selling from empty shelves within three days of trucks not coming to them.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:41 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
You can order all the food you desire on the internet and have it shipped anywhere in world..... even the city.
Anywhere in the world when our truckers are on strike or all on vacation the same week. Someone would have to round stuff up and haul it to the airlines so they could set sail. After they unload at the proper airport they will have to find some truckers that aren't on strike or on vacation. Do any of the airlines land in front of your house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies