Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:08 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You are correct.

But there are lot's of big government lemmings who do in fact believe that the government owns all of your income and just let's you keep a portion.
Hence 0bama's many references to "spending cuts in the tax code". He thinks any of our earned income that we get to keep after filing our taxes, is an expenditure of the federal government.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:12 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces74 View Post
I also love how people conveniently forget the economic impact from 9/11 when addressing the problems of the Bush presidency.

Oh, and the overwhelming support for the "let's get those bastards" mentality that followed.

Marvin the Martian could have been in office, and the policies would have been the same.

Also, a large chunk of that debt is directly related to the housing bubble bursting while Bush II was still in office. Had it waited another year, it'd be on Obama (or McCain). It's all semantics. Realistically, we should pin it all on Alan Greenspans head, and anyone who blockaded the attempted corralling of Fanny Mae and Freddie Mac in 2004, when we still had a chance to stop this. Yes, I'm looking at you, Barnie Franke.
Don't forget all the laws Clinton repealed in the late 1990s, which allowed, previously illegal, mergers of commercial banks and investment banks, like Citigroup, started this entire financial mess. Allowing F&F to run without proper oversight sure as hell played a part too.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:12 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces74 View Post
I also love how people conveniently forget the economic impact from 9/11 when addressing the problems of the Bush presidency.

Oh, and the overwhelming support for the "let's get those bastards" mentality that followed.

Marvin the Martian could have been in office, and the policies would have been the same.

Also, a large chunk of that debt is directly related to the housing bubble bursting while Bush II was still in office. Had it waited another year, it'd be on Obama (or McCain). It's all semantics. Realistically, we should pin it all on Alan Greenspans head, and anyone who blockaded the attempted corralling of Fanny Mae and Freddie Mac in 2004, when we still had a chance to stop this. Yes, I'm looking at you, Barnie Franke.
I actually agree with you re: Afghanistan. I think even Dennis the Menace Kucinich would have been pushed into invading Afghanistan. I reach an entirely different conclusion with Iraq. Unfortunately, though, the Democrats, as is typical these days, didn't have much of a spine to stand up to the president. I blame the Republicans for their agenda, and I blame the Democrats for not having a spine to stand up to them.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:14 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Obama doubled the debt.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:39 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Partly, yes, but at least he's spent it on things like trying to get people working again.

Reagan spent money on wasteful star wars programs. Bush launched us into an ill-advised war.

See the difference?
Yes. I see the difference. Obama is outspending Bush by leaps and bounds.

Hmmm... it looks to me like Obama is spending billions on three wars..... and there is no end in sight.

Fed spending in the first four years of Bush was 8.3 trillion compared to Obama's four years at 14.5 trillion (projected).

8.3 trillion vs. 14.5 trillion. Hmmmm.... which one is the big spender by a wide margin ?????????

Old 08-16-2011, 08:58 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
80% of our national debt comes from Reagan, Bush and Bush II.

The two biggest culprits now are those Bush wars and the Bush tax cuts.

The economic downturn caused by reckless deregulation during the Bush Administration is another big factor.

It might shock you to learn that Congress is about to pass another big wall street bailout. The conservatives call it an extension of tax cuts.

This ‘tax-cut for the wealthy’ bill amounts to an astronomically larger debt than 5 stimulus packages or healthcare bills would have.

The recipients of this tax cut are the very, very wealthiest Americans.
Just to remind you, Bush I lost re-election mainly because he raised taxes after campaigning, "Read my lips, no new taxes".

Old 08-16-2011, 09:12 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
Just to remind you, Bush I lost re-election mainly because he raised taxes after campaigning, "Read my lips, no new taxes".
Just to remind you, Presidents do not raise or lower taxes. That would be Congress.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:01 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Let me see if I have this right.

2008, debt is appr 10 trillion. 2011, only 3 years later, debt is over 14.5 trillion, which is 45% higher, and in only 3 years. That's 15% per year, meaning an 8 year presidency with no changed = 120% increase.

based on those statistics, it could be inferred that unless drastic changes are implemented, that this president, could DOUBLE our national debt, and that means that he will have increased our national debt MORE THAN ALL OTHER PRESIDENTS PRIOR TO HIM COMBINED!

Old 08-16-2011, 11:11 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Partly, yes, but at least he's spent it on things like trying to get people working again.

Reagan spent money on wasteful star wars programs. Bush launched us into an ill-advised war.

See the difference?
1. Government doesn't get people working, business get people working.

2. Reagan's star wars program forced other countries to spend money they didn't have, bringing down the Berlin wall, and the USSR, in addition to attempting to find a way to protect the U.S.

3. Congress OK'D the war that Bush got us into, Has Obama gotten approval from congress for our participation in Libya?

Yes, I see the difference.. Thanx!

Old 08-16-2011, 11:19 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
80% of our national debt comes from Reagan, Bush and Bush II.

The two biggest culprits now are those Bush wars and the Bush tax cuts.

The economic downturn caused by reckless deregulation during the Bush Administration is another big factor.

It might shock you to learn that Congress is about to pass another big wall street bailout. The conservatives call it an extension of tax cuts.

This ‘tax-cut for the wealthy’ bill amounts to an astronomically larger debt than 5 stimulus packages or healthcare bills would have.

The recipients of this tax cut are the very, very wealthiest Americans.

Spiraling Debt on Republicans, but Lying Works Too | The Nevada View
It doesn't bother you that Skippy passed $2 T of entitlements and a $3.8 T budget on top of that debt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies