Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 08:27 AM

888 posts, read 887,280 times

Advertisements

If we cut the federal income tax to a minimal flat rate - and replaced it with a VAT - do you think it would bring in money from the drug dealers that do not report their income? The VAT would be a tax on consumption, and drug dealers have to consume too They could pay their fair share. Would it represent a financial windfall for the government, or are we just talking small peanuts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 08:35 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
I realize "they" call it that, but I don't consider the VAT a tax on consumption. I consider it a tax on value added, through production.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:36 AM

248 posts, read 244,376 times
I think that a VAT is the fairest way to tax people as it would force everyone in the "underground economy" to pay their fair share. Here are the major problems I see with this issue.

1. There needs to be some kind of subsidy for lower income peopls.
2. This tax would be grossly unfair to seiniors who had paid income tax their entire lives only to have all of their savings taxed again as they spent it.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:38 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
a VAT (especially WITH an income tax) is just stupid and over taxation

go with a STRAIGHT UP consumption tax eliminating all other federal taxes (personal, payroll, exsise, corporate)

Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans For Fair Taxation

Old 08-18-2011, 08:39 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBob View Post
I think that a VAT is the fairest way to tax people as it would force everyone in the "underground economy" to pay their fair share. Here are the major problems I see with this issue.

2. This tax would be grossly unfair to seiniors who had paid income tax their entire lives only to have all of their savings taxed again as they spent it.
your terms are wrong

a VAT is an additional tax...we need the fairtax

Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans For Fair Taxation go ahead look at it

Old 08-18-2011, 08:40 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,104 times
Quote:
Check out the FairTax, they have some type of prebate that goes up to a certain amount.

Quote:
This is a very valid point, probably one of the biggest problems with introducing a VAT.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:47 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Quote:
If we cut the federal income tax to a minimal flat rate - and replaced it with a VAT -
In most countries outside of the US, VAT is sales tax at about a rate of 15%. How is extra sales tax a windfall for the gov't?

Old 08-18-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
In most countries outside of the US, VAT is sales tax at about a rate of 15%. How is extra sales tax a windfall for the gov't?
Well the way it is going, our economy is supposedly based on consumption, but as the new generation's purchasing power severly declines and the middle class is eroded away, we will consume less (to level of consumption similar to Europe), so I guess revenues from any type of consumption tax would not make much of a difference.

Of course, if we opened the borders completely and combined currencies to make the Amero, maybe that would stimulate consumption.
Then a consumption tax would be a valid replacement for income tax.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:23 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
I think we should scrap the taxes on investment and business and move to vat/sales tax.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I think we should scrap the taxes on investment and business and move to vat/sales tax.
as I said previously, the drop in consumption by the eroding middle class would not necessarily result in increased revenue...
in fact subsidy needs will increase as the middle class becomes poorer and more seniors are living longer
if we devalued the currency further and made our exports more competitive, we might be able to outsource a portion of the VAT to those countries who buy our products, like Germany does it...

the only clear solution I see under a Status Quo (Non-Ron Paul) administration is to create the North American Union, strengthen our currency with MXN and CAD, create the Amero, and open the borders.
To keep track of everyone, we would then institute a VAT/Consumption tax. Income tax would be difficult to continue to implement

Rock Hudson Perry would help get us there, so would Obamachange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies