Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 08:15 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times

Advertisements

As Union Membership Falls, RGA Chairman Gov. McDonnell Says There’s Been ‘More Unionization’ Under Obama | ThinkProgress

I'm not a huge fan of unions, but the statistics are interesting. I think the solution to increasing the middle class can be done through unions. However, it needs to be reformed so it's not unions vs management. In its current form, I think they cause more harm than good.

Obama 2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 08:18 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
That's because a large share of middle class income came from manufacturing, and that sector lost a huge, dramatic amount of jobs over the years. Then those people take on lower paying service or warehouse jobs, decreasing the average (or median) middle class income Course, technically, being laid off can count of decreased union membership

Old 08-19-2011, 08:20 PM

Yeah that's true. I can understand why unions were more important decades ago when manufacturing was huge and safety regulations lacked.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:21 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
As Union Membership Falls, RGA Chairman Gov. McDonnell Says There’s Been ‘More Unionization’ Under Obama | ThinkProgress

I'm not a huge fan of unions, but the statistics are interesting. I think the solution to increasing the middle class can be done through unions. However, it needs to be reformed so it's not unions vs management. In its current form, I think they cause more harm than good.

Obama 2012
You want unions to be the management people, huh?

I want to apologize for accusing you of throwing some crap at us in another thread from Kos when i should have remembered that you only use tables and graphs from ThinkProgress. Of course you know that Soros created that one and that the Progress means progressive.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:23 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Yeah that's true. I can understand why unions were more important decades ago when manufacturing was huge and safety regulations lacked.
Yes, they were definitely needed back then. It was only since around the 1980s when unions started losing their purpose. Also, remember as well that manufacturing in this country started it's long and steep decline around the same time that Nixon opened up trade with China and each president since then has refused to put up tariffs to counteract their currency manipulation and depressed wages. Some food for thought

Old 08-19-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You want unions to be the management people, huh?

I want to apologize for accusing you of throwing some crap at us in another thread from Kos when i should have remembered that you only use tables and graphs from ThinkProgress. Of course you know that Soros created that one and that the Progress means progressive.
Sometimes I think whether you even want to have a discussion or just want to try and irritate the other person...

Where did I say I want unions to be management?

I said, unions in their current form do more harm than good because unions fight management, which in turn hurts the company. They need to find a way where unions want what's best for the company, whether it's done through profit sharing or a percentage of bonuses management awards themselves.

add: Unions are not needed in small businesses and many other industries. I believe they should only be considered in industries or fields with high risk factors.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yes, they were definitely needed back then. It was only since around the 1980s when unions started losing their purpose. Also, remember as well that manufacturing in this country started it's long and steep decline around the same time that Nixon opened up trade with China and each president since then has refused to put up tariffs to counteract their currency manipulation and depressed wages. Some food for thought
I was intrigued by Trump's idea of imposing a tariff on Chinese goods iequal to the amount of their currency manipulation.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:29 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,032,105 times
many workers have neither the skill or talent to thrive without union protection. So out in the real world they are shocked and stunned that they have to compete with competent skilled and talented workers. as a former union carpenter who makes more and works more than the union carps I can say this from having lived there

Old 08-19-2011, 08:32 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,765,700 times
I would first say correlation is not causation. However, the decline of middle class wages for many sectors does seem to be related concptually to union busting. The "right to work" movement is all find and good, but most blue collar Americans are seeing their livelihoods go down the drain. White collar is next. The funny thing is, people on this board like to cheer union failure, yet unions were one of the only forces fighting for Americans.

The corporate class of America is interested in striding on a global stage where they can hobnob and network with other entrepreneurs or globalists. Labor is a resource to be mined wherever the recovery costs are lowest. They have no loyalty to American workers anymore. Gates is interested in improving education, but the chances of Joe the plumber becoming a Gates or Zuckerberg boy genius are about nil. They need working class jobs.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:33 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
"Correlation does not imply causation".

As already pointed out we've lost many jobs to overseas manufacturers and Unions have not helped keep those jobs here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies