Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2011, 09:43 PM

898 posts, read 827,922 times

Advertisements

To reiterate, because they're stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 05:42 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,427 times
White Americans: Why don't they vote Democratic?

Answer THAT, and you may know why.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:54 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Lee Atwater, Roger Ailes, Karl Rove:

This might have something to do with it:

The Willie Horton Ad and the Revolving Door Ad - YouTube

Oh. And Jesse Helms.....

Jesse Helms "Hands" ad - YouTube

Old 08-25-2011, 06:55 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
They don't pander to the racists...
You have to be kidding me. Refer to my last post.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:45 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
I am black and am not a democrat. I have voted for democrats, republicans, and libertarians within the past 10 years. I usually do not vote for Republicans at the federal level because they like to insists that black people "play the race card" or they like to pander to their extremely conservative base and think it is okay to openly say derrogatory things not just about black people but other minorities.

Also a lot of republicans on the federal level, like what some republican posters have said here, think that black people are stupid. Why would I want anything to do with anyone who thinks I am stupid?

They also believe we vote more for democrats because of welfare. Only a VERY small percentage of black Americans are on welfare, they would have you believe that the majority of us are. The lies concerning this especially is the main reason why republicans running for president usually do not get my vote.

I admit that I used to like McCain and thought it would be a great campaign in 2008 and that I would have a tough decision because I really thought the presidency was stolen from him in 2000. But he went way away from where he used to be and I lost a lot of respect, that and because he picked Palin and I have a strong distaste for anyone who doesn't know what newspapers they read.

Also, a lot of black people I know, who though are conservative socially, do not mix social issues with politics. My mother is a very evangelical Christian, she does not believe in gay marriage, she does not believe in abortion and she is just all around very socially conservative. She has told me she doesn't like republicans because of loudmouths right wing pundits, they make her skin crawl and always spout crazy things about black people, so she votes democrat.

ETA: I would vote for a moderate republican. I am looking in Jon Huntsman and so far like a lot of what he says. He doesn't seem like a religious nutso (though my mom is Christian, I am agnostic so don't like social issues being brought to the forefront or having to hear about someone's religion because I don't feel that where they worship is important to politics). If a great moderate republican ran, someone right/center, who wouldn't bow down to the crazies on the far right of the republican party and who didn't spout stereotypical comments about black people, I would vote for him/her very easily.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:20 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I am black and am not a democrat. I have voted for democrats, republicans, and libertarians within the past 10 years. I usually do not vote for Republicans at the federal level because they like to insists that black people "play the race card" or they like to pander to their extremely conservative base and think it is okay to openly say derrogatory things not just about black people but other minorities.

Also a lot of republicans on the federal level, like what some republican posters have said here, think that black people are stupid. Why would I want anything to do with anyone who thinks I am stupid?

They also believe we vote more for democrats because of welfare. Only a VERY small percentage of black Americans are on welfare, they would have you believe that the majority of us are. The lies concerning this especially is the main reason why republicans running for president usually do not get my vote.

I admit that I used to like McCain and thought it would be a great campaign in 2008 and that I would have a tough decision because I really thought the presidency was stolen from him in 2000. But he went way away from where he used to be and I lost a lot of respect, that and because he picked Palin and I have a strong distaste for anyone who doesn't know what newspapers they read.

Also, a lot of black people I know, who though are conservative socially, do not mix social issues with politics. My mother is a very evangelical Christian, she does not believe in gay marriage, she does not believe in abortion and she is just all around very socially conservative. She has told me she doesn't like republicans because of loudmouths right wing pundits, they make her skin crawl and always spout crazy things about black people, so she votes democrat.

ETA: I would vote for a moderate republican. I am looking in Jon Huntsman and so far like a lot of what he says. He doesn't seem like a religious nutso (though my mom is Christian, I am agnostic so don't like social issues being brought to the forefront or having to hear about someone's religion because I don't feel that where they worship is important to politics). If a great moderate republican ran, someone right/center, who wouldn't bow down to the crazies on the far right of the republican party and who didn't spout stereotypical comments about black people, I would vote for him/her very easily.
that was a really good post. It says a lot about how many of us feel to be degraded constantly by the Republicans. I am dunbfounded when a republicaan accuses a Democrat of playing racial politics or class warfare when that is what they have done all along. How many campaigns have we seen Republicans saying derogatory things about gays and/or blacks? That needs to stop. They need to focus on this economy and leave the religion in their church on Sunday.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:16 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
This is a spin off from the Allen West/Harriet Tubman thread.

I got curious, and wondered if anyone--specifically african americans here--could tell me why they tend to vote Democratic. I have my ideas about it, and White Republicans have their theories, (That Democrats keep blacks "enslaved" with govt. promises) but I'd like to hear directly from you guys on this, since I don't get to talk to many black people about politics in real life. What is it about Democrats that appeal to you--or what is it about Republicans that turn you off?

mackinac81
Not black but parties shifted long ago on this subject. Dixiecrats are now the republican base. Whatever grievance anyone had against them can now be laid at the feet of what sits in the republican chair, but is not republican.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:03 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Its not that simple. How are you expecting Black people to vote for you (the Republican candidate) when you won't even meet those people in person, shake their hands, look them in the eyes, kiss their babies, throw out a pitch at their son's Little League game, state what you stand for and make commitments to them for a better America when you (the Republican candidate) readily do it the same in predominantly White communities?

Call it what you will. Racism. Negligent. Ambivalence. Or simply deeming that population as unimportant. But the majority of Black Americans see the racially tinged issues that the Republican paryy has had in the past being brought forward into the present by their overt absence among us.
more race baiting. How hard is it to know blacks are no different in that they want a good education system and safe neighborhoods, and low unemployment.

here's a Romney clip. see how well he panders

Mitt Romney - Who Let the Dogs Out? - YouTube

here's a Ron Paul clip addressing the important issues

Ron Paul Calls For An End To The Racist War On Drugs - YouTube

Old 08-26-2011, 05:47 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Wealthy whites are the "black people" of the Republican party. The get hand outs, tax breaks , special programs, (like millions to rich farmers) Every aspect of their economic life ,from their second homes, real estate, luxury cars, private jets, dividends, business income , is coddled by the Republican party.

Democrats attract people who don't have a very complex or involved economic life. Social programs are the "economics" of the poor. Good educational opportunities, health care, nutrition, safe housing, can improve the quality of life for a poor person the same way a tax loop hole can allowing a rich person to write off a jet

Old 08-26-2011, 05:50 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
more race baiting. How hard is it to know blacks are no different in that they want a good education system and safe neighborhoods, and low unemployment.

here's a Romney clip. see how well he panders

Mitt Romney - Who Let the Dogs Out? - YouTube

here's a Ron Paul clip addressing the important issues

Ron Paul Calls For An End To The Racist War On Drugs - YouTube
Well at least Ron Paul is right on the War on Drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies