Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 12:27 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,843,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Wow, your answer sure shows that you buy into the constant race card being played. Many who are exploited by the democrats as if they have the blacks back and support are actually using them for their votes. It is the power of this that keeps the blacks from actually knowing what freedom is.

As sweet it is for blacks who are truly liberated from being a former slave to actually know they are equal to any other race and don't need to be constantly cut down as if they are lesser and need support for their cause as if they are lesser than others this division movement goes on. Of the democrats love to keep the blacks into the slave ships and feed them with division.

Wake up and smell the coffee and know the real meaning of equal and really be set free with dignity for the black race. Herman Cain is free and is equal to anyone. If every black was free there would be a mature mind and people like Al Sharpton would no longer have power working the division between the races. You my friend have been taken over by the democrats message of division.

Martin Luther King was a man to bring together all people as equal.
RNC Chief to Say It Was 'Wrong' to Exploit Racial Conflict for Votes

Ken Mehlman, the Republican National Committee chairman, this morning will tell the NAACP national convention in Milwaukee that it was "wrong."

"By the '70s and into the '80s and '90s, the Democratic Party solidified its gains in the African American community, and we Republicans did not effectively reach out," Mehlman says in his prepared text. "Some Republicans gave up on winning the African American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization. I am here today as the Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 01:31 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Wow, your answer sure shows that you buy into the constant race card being played. Many who are exploited by the democrats as if they have the blacks back and support are actually using them for their votes. It is the power of this that keeps the blacks from actually knowing what freedom is.

As sweet it is for blacks who are truly liberated from being a former slave to actually know they are equal to any other race and don't need to be constantly cut down as if they are lesser and need support for their cause as if they are lesser than others this division movement goes on. Of the democrats love to keep the blacks into the slave ships and feed them with division.

Wake up and smell the coffee and know the real meaning of equal and really be set free with dignity for the black race. Herman Cain is free and is equal to anyone. If every black was free there would be a mature mind and people like Al Sharpton would no longer have power working the division between the races. You my friend have been taken over by the democrats message of division.

Martin Luther King was a man to bring together all people as equal.
One thing I love, is when republicans glomp onto MLK Jr. Yeah, Yeah, he said that thing about judging people by the content of their character. He was also a vocal proponent of Affirmative Action, stridently against the Vietnam War, strongly pro-union, and in favor of a guaranteed minimum salary for all Americans. The fact is, MLK was *hated* in his day. And there's really not much in the current GOP that he would find acceptable, although I doubt he'd love the democratic party either.

I'm also amused by the obsession with Al Sharpton that you, and many white people have. The man has never had all that much of a following outside of NYC - and in that city, he's one of the best high-profile critics of police brutality. I can see why MSNBC gave him a show, since he's sure to bring better ratings, but I'd really rather have Melissa Harris-Perry host a show than him.

As for myself, no, I'm not on any "plantation", I'm a progressive. Even if the GOP were to dump their "reparations", "Democrat plantation" talking points, I'd still be voting for democrats and trying to pull them to the left. That's how freedom actually works for black people. It doesn't mean "all black people vote for republicans". it means "black people decide who to vote for individually". And in my case, you're barking up the wrong tree. And that's *actual* freedom - I looked at the two parties, and decided that I'm closer to the democrats than to the republicans (although I'd rather see more to the left - I'm in favor of single-payer, as one example).

Old 10-03-2011, 01:18 PM

132 posts, read 304,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I agree with most of what you say. They do hate poor white people though -- unless they know the poor white personally or can tell the poor white people are like them, just fallen on hard times.

I think what distinguishes me -- a white liberal who grew up poor -- from white conservatives is that I've interacted with enough black people to realize they are more or less like white people. Some black people work hard; some are lazy. Some are extremely intelligent. Some are dumb. People are people are people.

I think there is a certain element in the Republic party that thinks that all black people are on welfare and all people on welfare are black -- blacks are essentially leeches on hard working whites. They are ignorant. If they got out more and opened their eyes they'd realize that plenty of white, lazy ignorant people are on the dole and popping out chillin's to make some cash, and plenty of black folks study hard and go to school to make something of themselves.

I also agree with you that Republic elites are for the most part not racist. They are educated enough to know the score. For now, they'd just rather pander to the ignorant white vote rather than try to reach the educated black one. It's a shame. It's on them though, not blacks who don't vote for them.
It’s mystifying to me how black people became the face of the poor. The truth of the matter is black people, like whites are primarily hard-working middle class people, like my parents were. There has always been every strata of black person in America, from dirt poor to super rich. There is a black upper class that has been in existence since the 19th century that sends its children to the best schools, only joins certain high brow clubs and has debutant balls.

Obviously the idea about black welfare queens is a fabrication, and it infuriates me. Some of the poorest individuals in America are white people who live in Appalachia. Most of them vote Republican. What’s at work there?

I can tell you why I don’t, and it has little to do with my race. The Republicans support an anti-gay, anti-woman, anti-labor and nakedly pro-corporate and radical fundamentalist Christian agenda I simply can’t get behind.

I agree with the Republicans views on personal responsibility (was warm to the idea of welfare reform, cold to the idea of any job and no childcare). I support gun rights and keeping our borders secure. I concede that the government is in many ways too big and inefficient. On these things I can agree with Republicans, but we part company there.

This current crop is just frightening. Creationism? Abstinence only sex Ed? Allowing pharmacists to say no to filling BC prescriptions? Denying marriage to gay folk? Balking at science and facts? Taking its marching orders from Limbaugh. Signing pledges not to pass certain legislation. Oh, hell to the nizz-oh.

In the past I would vote Republican if the candidate in question was socially liberal. No more. The GOP's detour off to the far right of sanity has left me with no choice but to vote for the Democratic party, which has its own problems. For one, they are a bunch of p**sies. They still don’t seem to understand that the Republicans are playing for keeps and must be dealt with accordingly.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:36 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elle92 View Post
It’s mystifying to me how black people became the face of the poor.
You are saying that rhetorically I hope.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:52 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,324,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You are saying that rhetorically I hope.
And I hope your response to his is rhetorical....

(if not you've just revealed alot about a certain mindset)

Old 10-03-2011, 02:04 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,449,100 times
If the eyes of "black" Americans who have always voted democrat were finally opened to what the dems have done to them for all these years, I think they'd go on a republican voting rampage because the idea that they were used and manipulated as a voting block would be something they'd have to compare with being politically enslaved.

When your mind is clouded by dogma and you don't even know why or where it came from, and when the cover is pulled away from your vision - you see clearly and can make decisions for yourself without being manipulated.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:05 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
And I hope your response to his is rhetorical....

(if not you've just revealed alot about a certain mindset)
And what precisely have I revealed because my question was straight forward and I have no idea how it could be construed otherwise.

When someone states that they are mystified by racism in American I hope that they are speaking rhetorically, and not out of an absence of historical information. So what "mindset" did I reveal, a penchant for historical literacy or what?

Old 10-03-2011, 02:06 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,260,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
African Americans: Why don't they Vote Republican?
With the leading GOP candidate visiting a place called n*****head ranch, I really do wonder why blacks don't vote republican?

Old 10-03-2011, 02:07 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,324,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
If the eyes of "black" Americans who have always voted democrat were finally opened to what the dems have done to them for all these years, I think they'd go on a republican voting rampage because the idea that they were used and manipulated as a voting block would be something they'd have to compare with being politically enslaved.
Your comment makes no sense to me...none at all...

I'm 'black'...at least I think I am....whatever that is....

And the Democratic party has done nothing to me...nothing what so ever at all...no more or less than the Nazi Party or Rep party or black panther party....

No party has ever done anything to me, except the ones i throw at my house...

Old 10-03-2011, 02:09 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Your comment makes no sense to me...none at all...

I'm 'black'...at least I think I am....whatever that is....

And the Democratic party has done nothing to me...nothing what so ever at all...no more or less than the Nazi Party or Rep party or black panther party....

No party has ever done anything to me, except the ones i throw at my house...
You're in Florida. Two words for you:

Hanging Chad. Did you vote democrat? Did you think Gore was robbed? And the fallout afterward, did you think the republicans stole the election?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies