Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 10:48 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Hell is nothing more than a fictious place used to manipulate and coerce people to a believe a religion that is nothing more than a political took designed to subjugate, control and manipulate large groups of people.
Hooray for tolerance!

Oh that's right:
We need only be tolerant of certain groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Try doing something like performing abortions that goes against Christian principles and see what happens:
Anti-abortion violence
The difference is that those who kill others "in the name of Christianity" are doing
the exact opposite
of what Jesus taught.

However,
Mohammed "solved" problems via violence
and Muslims are urged to do the same as per the teachings of Islam.

Neat how that works out, isn't it?
Blows your whole idea out of the water, but neat how it works out.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:56 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Hooray for tolerance!

Oh that's right:
We need only be tolerant of certain groups.
You have the right to believe whatever you want.

I have the right to dispute you believe while still respecting you right to believe it.

That's tolerance.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
You have the right to believe whatever you want.

I have the right to dispute you believe while still respecting you right to believe it.

That's tolerance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy
Hell is nothing more than a fictious place used to manipulate and coerce people to a believe a religion that is nothing more than a political took designed to subjugate, control and manipulate large groups of people.
^ Doesn't sound tolerant to me in the least.
Sounds mocking.

Don't want to mess with your agenda, though.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:48 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Sounds mocking.

Would you share your definition of "mocking" with us?

Old 08-23-2011, 12:13 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Sounds mocking.

There's discussing beliefs, and there's mocking.

I don't see that person's statement as mocking, just a statement of their belief.

One can still tolerate other's beliefs and disagree with them verbally.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:09 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
If a teacher is expected to be respectful of gays and minorities, that expectation should also extend to people of faith. The teacher was out of line. No way was she being objective and trying to stimulate the students to think. She wasn't just mocking religion, she was also mocking the students who believe in Christ. That kind of mockery is not acceptable, regardless of what the court said.
Absolutely. Even the ACLU acknowledges the protection the First Amendment is supposed to provide religion from being disparaged by government.

Press Release 10/20/06 (http://www.acluarkansas.org/News/PressReleases/120806_district_letter.htm - broken link)

"Under the First Amendment, public schools should not inhibit or disparage religious belief or nonbelief..."

I certainly hope this is appealed and justice served.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:17 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Absolutely. Even the ACLU acknowledges the protection the First Amendment is supposed to provide religion from being disparaged by government.

Press Release 10/20/06 (http://www.acluarkansas.org/News/PressReleases/120806_district_letter.htm - broken link)

"Under the First Amendment, public schools should not inhibit or disparage religious belief or nonbelief..."

Sorry, maja, but after reading all of the links provided (particularly those with excerpts of the court transcripts), it seems pretty clear that the student in question was not being mocked; indeed, by his own admission, he never even spoke in class.

In a different situation and in principle, I would agree that religious beliefs should not be mocked in the classroom; in this situation, there was no mocking (read the links), thus no case. Your point is a fair one, just not in this particular case, given the facts of the case.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:24 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post

Looks like the ACLU would back this teacher up, as he did not do any of that.

Once hearing the whole story, not just oversensitive people thinking anything negative said about Christianity is "mocking", the teacher did nothing wrong in this classroom.

IN fact, he made what was going to happen in the class quite clear.

The party suing (the kid) was just too stupid to actually prepare himself.

Methinks that he's of the type who gets his mommy and daddy to do his work for him.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:50 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Sorry, maja, but after reading all of the links provided (particularly those with excerpts of the court transcripts), it seems pretty clear that the student in question was not being mocked; indeed, by his own admission, he never even spoke in class.

In a different situation and in principle, I would agree that religious beliefs should not be mocked in the classroom; in this situation, there was no mocking (read the links), thus no case. Your point is a fair one, just not in this particular case, given the facts of the case.
Are you aware this teacher was involved in another lawsuit involving school & religion? And there were 20 other such remarks that were allegedly made by this teacher. And, although the student, himself, may have not been mocked with a personal attack, his religion was. That , in itself, is against the First Amendment. This statement certainly does not appear to pertain to the teaching of history.

"Referring to his former colleague, Corbett told his class, "I will not leave John Peloza alone to propagandize kids with this religious, superstitious nonsense."

Analysis: Court parsed teacher's allegedly anti-Christian remarks | corbett, law, court - News - The Orange County Register
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies