Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:31 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
A taste of what? Have you ever been on public assistance? I've been on UI, its no picnic. I have to fill out forms, and stand in lines, and waste hours that I could have been using to look for work to get a measly check that is 50% of what I used to earn. My UI payments pay my rent and my car insurance AND THAT IS ALL. Not a dime more. They keep a roof over my head and they keep Anaheim PD and CHP from towing my car for not having insurance.

Food stamps was a complete headache. It took me one month of pawning some of my possessions before I'd even call them, as I was proud and did not want to go on food stamps, but my family and friends aren't doing much better, so it was either food stamps or starving to death. I had to wait a month to get the card that would enable me to buy food, and and the food stamp line is out the door here. They wanted documentation and info on my bank accounts.

Up until this recession hit I'd never been on public assistance at all. I hate being on it now. But the alternative is homelessness and starving to death. There are no jobs. Not in Utah, not here, and not where my family lives in Texas. I've had one friend who got lucky and after a month of looking got hired on a McDonald's for 10 hours a week at minimum wage, and she used to make $12 an hour in a call center.

I want a job. I don't like being on public assistance. If anything, its a "taste" of poverty. And most of the people I know don't like to be on public assistance more than I do.

The Democrats aren't going to get voters because they offer entitlements, they are going to get more votes because Republicans have nothing better to do than point at people like me and call us "parasites" while they claim that those of us down on our luck would solve all or problems if we just took a job picking fruit or flipping burgers or mowing lawns, not realizing that even those jobs are tough pickings.

If I have to read blather about how I am a welfare queen too much more, I'll just vote straight ticket democrat...for the first time in my life. I'm tired of being called a parasite, and if that's all the Republicans have to offer me is homelessness, hopelessness, starvation, and worse, then better the devil I know than the one who calls me worthless!

Many of the people on entitlements today are on them because they lost their job. They need a job to survive. If I found a job tomorrow, I'd be off the entitlements. All I'm seeing from Republicans is a whole lot of hate and vitriol. Something tells me that if we elect them as a country, they'll make this country worse not better by making more people homeless, all the while throwing more money at Libya.

Wonderful post. I wish some of the people on here had more understanding of how life truly is here in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 12:40 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Wonderful post. I wish some of the people on here had more understanding of how life truly is here in America.
I understand it.

When I started my business I had holes in my pants and they were NOT fashion.

I wanted a dog but, could not afford one.

I was the last person I know that got cable and a computer.

Even then the computer was required to fill out my well logs.

One of my first big things to buy was health insurance.

Don't fool yourself.

I know what it feels like to take sugar and ketchup packages home so I had the products.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I understand it.

When I started my business I had holes in my pants and they were NOT fashion.

I wanted a dog but, could not afford one.

I was the last person I know that got cable and a computer.

Even then the computer was required to fill out my well logs.

One of my first big things to buy was health insurance.

Don't fool yourself.

I know what it feels like to take sugar and ketchup packages home so I had the products.
I'm not fooling myself, Driller. Many people have struggled, bootstraps, etc.

Problem is, nowadays, there aren't any boostraps anymore, because all the raw materials have been taken away.

Health insurance is no longer affordable for the vast majority of people who are unemployed.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I'm not fooling myself, Driller. Many people have struggled, bootstraps, etc.

Problem is, nowadays, there aren't any boostraps anymore, because all the raw materials have been taken away.

Health insurance is no longer affordable for the vast majority of people who are unemployed.
If I had to start over I could, trust me.

Your thought is like saying every has all ready been invented.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
That is one of the most idiotic and convoluted comparisons I've ever heard of. People DIRECTLY pay into SS, and when they turn 65 they directly take money back out of SS. You pay in, you get benefits at the eligible age. It's that simple.

I thought the intent of food stamps was to feed the poor hungry?

It IS a ponzi scheme. The people receiving benefits today are reliant on the the current workforce. The original recipients of SS never paid a dime into it. I also support SS, but it's unsustainable in its current form for exactly the reason you state: "And do keep in mind that one does not get out what one pays in, dollar for dollar. Some get back MUCH more." Several times more, actually. Oh, and the fact that the gov't raided the SS trustfund for years didn't help either.
Your last paragraph contradicts your first.

RE: food stamps-see this:

The Food Stamp Program: history, nutrition educati... [J Am Diet Assoc. 2007] - PubMed result

The Food Stamp Program has grown from a modest effort to distribute excess farm commodities during the Great Depression to the nation's largest food assistance and nutrition program

Bob Dole was a big supporter:

Bob Dole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Later, as a member of the Senate Select Committee on Nutrition and Human Needs Dole joined liberal Senator George McGovern to lower eligibility requirements for federal food stamps, a liberal goal that was supported by Kansas farmers.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
If I had to start over I could, trust me.

Your thought is like saying every has all ready been invented.
Yes. You are in a position to start over. Some people never had a chance to begin with, and things are getting worse and worse. That's my point.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Yes. You are in a position to start over. Some people never had a chance to begin with, and things are getting worse and worse. That's my point.
Nope...I could start with nothing.

Many would say I never had a chance.

I am a female in a male dominated industry.

I had to do my apprenticeship with some real pigs.

I have heard more jokes about my boobs than you can imagine.

But, I made it...wrote my test..did my practical, passed that fine.

Then I walked right down the hall and reported the pigs (along with proof) of DEQ violations.

In a year they were all out of business.

Remember guys, if the chick isn't laughing, it is not over.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Nope...I could start with nothing.

Many would say I never had a chance.

I am a female in a male dominated industry.

I had to do my apprenticeship with some real pigs.

I have heard more jokes about my boobs than you can imagine.

But, I made it...wrote my test..did my practical, passed that fine.

Then I walked right down the hall and reported the pigs (along with proof) of DEQ violations.

In a year they were all out of business.

Remember guys, if the chick isn't laughing, it is not over.
Look, I'm married to someone whose story mirrors yours almost exactly, except she's not white. She's had the same experiences you have -and she reported them, and they're still in business, because her complaints have consistently been ignored. She probably could start over again with nothing - though considering she's married to me, neither of us, inshallah, would ever need to start over again. But we are also related to people who have almost no chance for success the way we've had, and their prospects are far worse than mine, hers, or yours are. This country has gone to hell, and it's the conservatives who have engineered its downfall.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Look, I'm married to someone whose story mirrors yours almost exactly, except she's not white. She's had the same experiences you have -and she reported them, and they're still in business, because her complaints have consistently been ignored. She probably could start over again with nothing - though considering she's married to me, neither of us, inshallah, would ever need to start over again. But we are also related to people who have almost no chance for success the way we've had, and their prospects are far worse than mine, hers, or yours are. This country has gone to hell, and it's the conservatives who have engineered its downfall.
That is to bad about your wife.

I planed my revenge two years and had pictures.

Since we were talking about drinking water, the state had to act.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:02 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Your last paragraph contradicts your first.
No, It does not. Do we or don't we pay into a SS trust fund via FICA withholdings? (We do). Did the first recipients of SS pay into it? (No). SS taxes were first collected in 1937 and benefits were first paid out in 1940.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
RE: food stamps-see this:

The Food Stamp Program: history, nutrition educati... [J Am Diet Assoc. 2007] - PubMed result

The Food Stamp Program has grown from a modest effort to distribute excess farm commodities during the Great Depression to the nation's largest food assistance and nutrition program
Bob Dole was a big supporter:

Bob Dole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Later, as a member of the Senate Select Committee on Nutrition and Human Needs Dole joined liberal Senator George McGovern to lower eligibility requirements for federal food stamps, a liberal goal that was supported by Kansas farmers.
Yes, the program is the nation's largest food assistance and nutrition program. And yes, some farmers support it. Who cares? This has NOTHING to do with Social Security. Just stop with the idiocy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies