Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 03:43 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
And the next reblogging will say pre-schoolers.

Then maybe toddlers?
OMG...some people read to an infant while they are still in the womb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 03:46 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
After reading along a few pages, I want to return to this bit of misdirection and diversion.

First, the OP dealt with parents objections to certain content established as "Required Reading" for high and middle school children, and what books are in the "school library". The objections being posed to these inappropriate books were IN FACT the actions of a parents exercising their parental rights that you claim to support on one hand, yet dismiss and attack on the other.

I'm assuming you understand what "required reading" means? Making such books required reading is ABSOLUTELY an act on the part of the school authorities to remove "choice" and usurp the rights of the parent relative to their rights to decide what is or is not appropriate content for their children. And it usurps the rights of the children too .... given the "required" nature of it removing "choice" as an option.

Furthermore, the "agenda" that you want to plead ignorance to is quite clear on the surface, and you know it. That agenda is "social re-engineering" against the wishes of the majority, who, by and large aren't even aware of the depth of efforts being pursued in that direction. The facts are, the purpose of the public schools "used to be" to teach and educate children to instill literacy, not to indoctrinate an mold social-sexual-political values and views, which is precisely what the school system is focused on doing today. And again, you claim this is the parent's responsibility, while defending those within the school system who are covertly engaged in this end around run on parents "values and views".

Just be honest here. You are obviously defending, therefore in favor of this social re-engineering and indoctrination, so demonstrate the courage of conviction and admit it. Defend the position, rather than employ these coy tactics of diversions, straw man arguments and dismissing all objections as illegitimate.
Oh, let's do be honest here. I asked this question in my first post on this thread, and no one has answered.

What did Fox News mean when they said it was on a "required" reading list? My last "required" reading list "required me to read five books over the summer. The reading list had over eighty titles shown, and I was "required" to select five to read. So, until you've shown that the students were actually "required" to read the two books that have since been removed from the list, then all your coy tactics of diversions, straw man arguments and dismissing of the opposition would be illegitimate.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:58 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,277,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Why would gay students read these books in particular? They are not gay themed books.
Perhaps the poster who is a librarian and defended these books based on a possible need by gay students to not have to feel ashamed could answer your question. I asked the same question. I don't get it.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:59 PM

14,029 posts, read 15,041,009 times
LOL, imagine the outrage if it where a staight Orgy.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:11 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,277,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Ridiculous?

PROVE that ten-year-olds were forced to read these books. YOU asserted it, now PROVE it.
What a ridiculous position to take. Do you also assert that a child has to be forced to have sex with an adult for it to be considered rape? Would you consider it okay if a teacher recommended drugs as long as they didn't require them to take them?

Teachers are in a position of authority. They are supposed to be recommending what is healthy for children. Get it? Unless you think its good for 10 year old children to be reading about orgies and sexual molestation, why would you think its acceptable for teachers to recommend it. Recommend may just be a flimsy CYA attempt because after all, if kids were being offered this on the internet, the parents would probably get the police involved.

Face it. There's a reason the school district, after receiving enough complaints has now apologized and is revising their reading list. Unfortunately, a little late for some children who had already done their "summer reading."

I stand by my reply above. These books have been reported to be on a required reading list for both high school and middle school students. But whether required or recommended, I don't care. See above.

Quit nitpicking. Required or recommended makes no difference. See above.

"Even more disturbing, is that the books reportedly on the required reading list were not just for high school students, but for middle school students as well."

School Reading List Featured Books on Lesbian Sex, Gay Orgy | TheBlaze.com

Old 08-24-2011, 04:31 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
What a ridiculous position to take. Do you also assert that a child has to be forced to have sex with an adult for it to be considered rape? Would you consider it okay if a teacher recommended drugs as long as they didn't require them to take them?

Teachers are in a position of authority. They are supposed to be recommending what is healthy for children. Get it? Unless you think its good for 10 year old children to be reading about orgies and sexual molestation, why would you think its acceptable for teachers to recommend it. Recommend may just be a flimsy CYA attempt because after all, if kids were being offered this on the internet, the parents would probably get the police involved.

Face it. There's a reason the school district, after receiving enough complaints has now apologized and is revising their reading list. Unfortunately, a little late for some children who had already done their "summer reading."

I stand by my reply above. These books have been reported to be on a required reading list for both high school and middle school students. But whether required or recommended, I don't care. See above.

Quit nitpicking. Required or recommended makes no difference. See above.

"Even more disturbing, is that the books reportedly on the required reading list were not just for high school students, but for middle school students as well."

School Reading List Featured Books on Lesbian Sex, Gay Orgy | TheBlaze.com

So, how are you going to change the world? Not sure that whining about this stuff every single day on an internet forum qualifies as doing something about it.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:32 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,048,492 times
And like I said, I don't find it disturbing at all that this would appear on a summer reading list for middle schoolers.

It may be because I'm younger, but I remember what I was like in middle school. I pretty much had a good handle on sex and drugs due to the DARE program and sex education. I don't exactly find these books inappropriate or disturbing.

But then again, I was reading college-level books by then which (yes, were in my school library) did contain sex and drugs.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:44 PM

15,107 posts, read 8,643,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Oh, let's do be honest here. I asked this question in my first post on this thread, and no one has answered.

What did Fox News mean when they said it was on a "required" reading list? My last "required" reading list "required me to read five books over the summer. The reading list had over eighty titles shown, and I was "required" to select five to read. So, until you've shown that the students were actually "required" to read the two books that have since been removed from the list, then all your coy tactics of diversions, straw man arguments and dismissing of the opposition would be illegitimate.
I need not "prove" anything. I am commenting based on reports of two news organizations, including an "confession-apology" i.e. "New Jersey school district has apologized to parents after requiring high school students to read the graphic books"

Now, you may challenge those reports, but YOU need to prove they are not accurate .... it's not my responsibility to conduct an investigation and interview students, parents, and school board members to prove the report's validity.

Secondly, that they were even on a "list" of required reading can be automatically viewed as "sanctioned and recommended" by school authorities, regardless of whether or not they were included as part of a larger list offering other options ... a point which you have done nothing to prove other than apply your totally irrelevant past personal experience. The operative point is that the material was objectionable .... offered no specific academic value over and above some other non-sexual, non-homosexual, non-pedophile material .... clearly showing either extremely poor judgment or an underlying agenda.

I dismiss the poor judgment possibility because of the "Caveat / excuse" given by the superintendent when he said: "You want to spur interest in kids reading that fits their needs not that of people in the 1930s,” he said. “Interests change.”

First, you have the very blatant dismissal of traditional values as something outdated and only applicable to "people of the 1930's" , a classic progressive tactic of "times have changed". Then you have the "we only give them what they want and need" as if a 15 year old NEEDS to read about drug induced orgies and pedophile sex acts purely for some academic literary value.

The promoters and defenders of this nonsense know EXACTLY what the agenda is .... not surprisingly, very few have the courage to just own it and defend it. Instead, it's the old tactic of "What agenda? There is no agenda" .... followed by "prove it".

Not only are these progressives who promote this social re-engineering "degenerates" but cowards too.

If you defend it, you own it.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:50 PM

30,363 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
I disagree with labeling children as homosexual and believe there are way too many well-meaning adults who do this, which plays in to the hands of the not so well meaning adults who prey upon them.

Sexual liberation itself is a misnomer as it alludes to the idea that sex is a free, safe past-time with no accountability, responsibility or potentially harmful consequences.
Teenagers aren't children, and they know what they like and want... did you know what/who you liked at age 15-17, or were you still playing in a sandbox and watching Sesame Street? How soon we forget, but I think most of us were pretty aware of our preferences by the time puberty hit.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:55 PM

15,107 posts, read 8,643,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So, how are you going to change the world? Not sure that whining about this stuff every single day on an internet forum qualifies as doing something about it.
She's not going to change the world any more than she'll be able to reason with unreasonable minds. But she does clearly establish who she is as a person in the subjects she discusses, and doesn't attempt to hide behind diversions and denials. One admirable quality after another, IMHO.

The better question might be what value to the world is offered by defending this psychological attack on our children, and what statement is being made about the character of those who choose to do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies