Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 04:20 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
102 Things NOT To Do If You Hate Taxes | Addicting Info (http://www.addictinginfo.org/2011/05/18/102-things-not-to-do/ - broken link)
I know of very few people who don't accept they have to pay taxes.

The questions are, how much?, what are the taxes being used for?,
Is the taking of peoples money equitable to ALL Americans? Is the tax for the federal gov't getting involved in items that are state responsibilities/ etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 04:23 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
I think the OP gets at what is really at the heart of the issues between cons and libs.

Cons hate taxes, but at the same time it seems that they don't really know what all tax dollars support. They hate big government, but love the military which is nothing more than big government.

If conservatives would intelligently address these issues before their collective knee-jerk bashing of taxation, then talking to them about politics and current affairs would go much more smoothly.
Most conservative do NOT hate. Most liberals hate. That is why they accuse the right of hating so much.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:40 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I know of very few people who don't accept they have to pay taxes.

The questions are, how much?, what are the taxes being used for?,
Is the taking of peoples money equitable to ALL Americans? Is the tax for the federal gov't getting involved in items that are state responsibilities/ etc.
Really? That's encouraging. I was under the impression that most conservatives thought that taxes were theft. I'm glad to know that in your circles people at least accept that they are necessary. That's a start.

Last edited by WestCobb; 08-24-2011 at 04:56 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 04:53 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
I think the OP gets at what is really at the heart of the issues between cons and libs.

Cons hate taxes, but at the same time it seems that they don't really know what all tax dollars support. They hate big government, but love the military which is nothing more than big government.
Of course you are wrong. Most Americans are simply adding up what they pay in taxes and comparing it to what they get in return at current market rates. Lately taxpayers have been getting an extremely raw deal.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:00 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,024,274 times
Interesting topic.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:06 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
I dont mind paying taxes at all so........

Old 08-24-2011, 05:38 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
No issue with paying my fair share of taxes. No issues with many social services.
I take issue with federal aid to countries that hate us.
I take issue with our elected reps granting themselves benefits we the tax payer don't enjoy.
I take issue with Us footing the lion share of the bill for NATO and the UN.
I take issue with pork and waste.
I take issue with a lot of things our tax dollars are wasted on then being told its my fault.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:50 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
102 Things NOT To Do If You Hate Taxes | Addicting Info (http://www.addictinginfo.org/2011/05/18/102-things-not-to-do/ - broken link)
I don't hate taxes, I hate when taxpayer money is mishandled and wasted. There IS a difference you know.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:57 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:

If conservatives would intelligently address these issues before their collective knee-jerk bashing of taxation, then talking to them about politics and current affairs would go much more smoothly.
in other words, shut up conservatives because you liberals know better how to spend the peoples money than the people do, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
We don't 'hate' taxes.

We hate corrupt politicians that keep increasing taxes to line the pockets of their constituent electors. We hate they spend money like pigs eating from a trough that we have to fill. We hate they have spent us into oblivion.

Taxes are necessary and when put to responsible use, appreciated by all.

As it is now, not so much.
absolutely right. i dont mind paying a proper amount of taxes, and i dont mind government running some programs. what i do mind however is excessive taxes, and the constant cry to raise taxes, and the constant overspending and waste of money.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:32 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
BEST THREAD HERE IN MONTHS
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies