Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 07:00 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Germany has sky high import taxes!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
No. Their import taxes are not high, obviously, as imported stuff is not expensive there. Thus I can import the already imported stuff and still save a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Um, what do you mean when you say Germany has high import taxes? I thought you meant to say that Germany levies high taxes on stuff it imports from abroad, i.e. outside the EU
And that is not the case, quite to the contrary, they have much lower import taxes than in most other EU countries, from which I benefit since there are no import taxes on trade within the EU. I directly benefit from Germany's low import taxes despite living in another EU country.

You did not import anything into Germany to know.

Germany exported it to you.

Kinda what China does for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 09:57 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Then how do you explain countries such as Germany? They have more and tougher regulations, higher taxes, high debt, and face the same market uncertainties as the rest of the world. They, too, are swamped with legal and illegal immigrants... and yet, they seem to be doing quite alright.
they also dont have a welfare class like the US does, and they dont have the defense spending the US does, and their normal unemployment rate is higher than the US is. full employment for the US is considered to be around 4% unemployment, for germany i believe it is around 6-7%. one m ore thing is that germany is used to buying things at higher prices, where as here in the US we are used to finding the "deal" and getting the lowest price possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I can think of one major thing that is costing the Nation big time right now, higher inteest rates on our loans, Thanks Teabaggers.
Casper
really? the last time i looked the prime lending rate was 0.25%, and it hasnt gone up since the credit downgrade.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:27 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You did not import anything into Germany to know.

Germany exported it to you.

Kinda what China does for us.
German retailers import the stuff from Asia, just like Portuguese retailers do, from the same manufacturers. But the Germans do it much cheaper, even though it is the very same products. And when I order my stuff from a German retailer, I benefit from the low import taxes there as there are no additional import/export taxes within the EU. That is what I meant.
Same thing between Portugal and Spain. Spain has much lower energy import taxes, so people near the border go to Spain to fill their tanks as gas and diesel are a lot cheaper there.
What is quite expensive in Europe is software. Usually MS software costs more in euros here than it costs in dollars in the US, should be the other way round considering the exchange rate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies