Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Drinking be Lowered?
Yes 84 56.76%
No 64 43.24%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:06 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,640,311 times

Advertisements

Is there any other requirement in America that requires a person to be 21 instead of 18 in order to be considered not a minor? I'm not aware of any. But if an 18 year old can be tried as an adult for any crime, serve the military, buy a house, marry, etc, then I think it is safe to say you have to move the drinking age down to 18 or move everything else up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 09:08 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,640,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I agree. I know there are exceptions but I just don't believe that enough eighteen year olds have the maturity to drink. When I was in college, the drinking age in Texas was 18 and I don't think it was a good thing.
Are 18 year old college students unable to obtain alcohol despite their age? In my experience, the 21 thing stops no one from drinking that wants to drink. IMO, it more than anything could encourage drinking as age 18 is a rebellous time for most people, so breaking the law by drinking is a rush.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:52 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,218,665 times
I am 21 right now, and I honestly don't get how it is justified that just last year the government would let me die for them, but not drink a beer.

On a more practical note, I do think lowering the drinking age would be a positive thing. I went binge drinking a whole lot more before I turned 21 than after. Before, I would really only drink at parties, so most of the time I did get completely smashed. In the couple of months I have been 21, I nearly always just go to a bar and have a few drinks with some friends. The current system is set up so its almost difficult not to do stupid stuff with alcohol before you are 21.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:24 AM

575 posts, read 3,134,671 times
I think it should be lowered. for a country with a drinking age as high as it is, we have more alcohol related fatalities. The thing is that countries with a lower drinking age have stricter laws, *that are upheld*, related to driving under the influence, etc.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:31 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,598,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glxyman21 View Post
I think it should be lowered. for a country with a drinking age as high as it is, we have more alcohol related fatalities. The thing is that countries with a lower drinking age have stricter laws, *that are upheld*, related to driving under the influence, etc.
Great point. You're right about the laws being upheld more in other countries.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:00 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,763,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Is there any other requirement in America that requires a person to be 21 instead of 18 in order to be considered not a minor? I'm not aware of any. But if an 18 year old can be tried as an adult for any crime, serve the military, buy a house, marry, etc, then I think it is safe to say you have to move the drinking age down to 18 or move everything else up.

Agree..could never figure that one out..you are either an adult or your not

Old 08-16-2007, 11:39 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,466,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glxyman21 View Post
MADD said a higher drinking age would prevent this. Nope!

Old 08-16-2007, 11:44 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,830,420 times
I have heard that in countries like France and Italy it's not uncommon for chidren to drink a glass of wine at the dinner table. They have less chronic alcoholism and binge drinking that the U.S does.
The stigma that we put on alcohol brings out the worst in people, it actually encourages abuse. We use alcohol as an excuse and justification for all sorts of bad behaviors.

I have seen 30 years olds, 40, even people who look 50+ hassled when they try to buy alcohol or tobacco. I rarely drink and never smoke but I think forcing people who are obviously adults to show ID shows we live in a sick society. Although they are just "doing their jobs" I wish that clerks would get fined or fired if they ID anyone over age 25, same thing with nightclub bouncers, if they hassle an adult they deserve to suffer and starve When I see people hassled like that it makes me truly hate this aspect of the U.S..not to mention it slows the line.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:14 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,101,067 times
Agreed Jay F,

Why don't we remove the age limit totally. We push kids into thinking that "Hey, when you turn of age, you can do this." We give them a hurdle so they try harder to jump it.

Always said there was 3 ways of doing something. 1) do it yourself. 2) hire somebody to do it. 3) Forbid your kids to do it. It will still get done.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:20 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,745,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I agree. I know there are exceptions but I just don't believe that enough eighteen year olds have the maturity to drink. When I was in college, the drinking age in Texas was 18 and I don't think it was a good thing.
I believe there may be social problems with drinking at 18,but that said if my child is old enough to die in war at 18,then he should be able to have a legal drink at 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies