Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 07:49 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,959 times

Advertisements

What happened in Japan was a tragedy, a natural disaster. While following the news coverage online and on cable tv, it occurred to me that what we are not hearing about events in Japan is quite important. No reports of looting, rioting, widespread criminal activity.

Contrast this to what happened in New Orleans after Katrina or Haiti after the earthquake there.

Why is this? Culture? Civil society? Homogenous population? All of these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 07:51 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,104 times
Culture, culture and culture.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:52 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
What happened in Japan was a tragedy, a natural disaster. While following the news coverage online and on cable tv, it occurred to me that what we are not hearing about events in Japan is quite important. No reports of looting, rioting, widespread criminal activity.

Contrast this to what happened in New Orleans after Katrina or Haiti after the earthquake there.

I always see conservatives bring up "homogeneous population." I wonder why that is?

Old 08-26-2011, 07:57 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
Hey, I lived in New Orleans for several years. The City's population is pretty homogeneous so that could not be the answer.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:58 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,416,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post

Japanese citizens have turned in money that was found to the government. Why? The Japanese are people of honor and integrity. They do not take handouts and they have pride in their integrity. I went to high school in Japan. On our senior trip two seniors were found having intercourse. Our Japanese high school host called everyone together and was going to commit Hari Kari because he had lost face with the Japanese hosts. He wasn't kidding. It was extremely traumatic for all of us. An American born teacher intervened and stopped the suicide.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:58 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,032,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I always see conservatives bring up "homogeneous population." I wonder why that is?
they act better ? who knows but it sure seems that way

Old 08-26-2011, 07:59 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,782,362 times
The Japanese as a whole(IMO) have a far better respect of life and other people's property, than alot of Americans. Their history dictates it.....

Old 08-26-2011, 08:03 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Spare us the implied racism b.s. OP`s point is well-taken, as anyone with a modicum of good sense is aware.

The unanimity of cultural expectations among the Japanese people is key to understanding their patiently accepting, even fatalistic, approach to disasters like the Fukushima earthquake/tsunami -- as well as their stolid and calm undertaking of the task of rebuilding.

Prime Minister Kan resigned yesterday, partly as a result of his perceived ineffectiveness in responding to the disaster and accelerating recovery efforts. Can you imagine an American politician actually paying more than lip service to taking responsibility for his/her shortcomings and failures?

Centuries of isolation have created a population in Japan which is indeed homogenous, and not simply racially. The Japanese people share social, behavioral, and ethical expectations to a degree that is impossible in more diverse nation-states. This phenomenon has both positive and negative aspects. The willingness of Mr. Kan to step down and put the national interests before his own, and the calmness with which Japan faced down, and is dealing with the aftermath of the Fukushima disaster, are examples of the former.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:11 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,782,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Spare us the implied racism b.s. OP`s point is well-taken, as anyone with a modicum of good sense is aware.

The unanimity of cultural expectations among the Japanese people is key to understanding their patiently accepting, even fatalistic, approach to disasters like the Fukushima earthquake/tsunami -- as well as their stolid and calm undertaking of the task of rebuilding.

Prime Minister Kan resigned yesterday, partly as a result of his perceived ineffectiveness in responding to the disaster and accelerating recovery efforts. Can you imagine an American politician actually paying more than lip service to taking responsibility for his/her shortcomings and failures?

Centuries of isolation have created a population in Japan which is indeed homogenous, and not simply racially. The Japanese people share social, behavioral, and ethical expectations to a degree that is impossible in more diverse nation-states. This phenomenon has both positive and negative aspects. The willingness of Mr. Kan to step down and put the national interests before his own, and the calmness with which Japan faced down, and is dealing with the aftermath of the Fukushima disaster, are examples of the former.

Right on the money

Old 08-26-2011, 08:31 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Japanese citizens have turned in money that was found to the government. Why? The Japanese are people of honor and integrity. They do not take handouts and they have pride in their integrity. I went to high school in Japan. On our senior trip two seniors were found having intercourse. Our Japanese high school host called everyone together and was going to commit Hari Kari because he had lost face with the Japanese hosts. He wasn't kidding. It was extremely traumatic for all of us. An American born teacher intervened and stopped the suicide.
There was not a lot of honor or integrity involved in the circumstances leading up to the real estate meltdown in the late 1980's that lead to the current economic malaise that Japan has endured for over 20 years. In many ways our own financial crises is similar than theirs.

For all the Japanese people's accomplishment and they are many they are subject to the same human fallacies and weaknesses that affect other human beings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies