Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 07:58 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,823,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Liberals don't seem to have noticed that the USA credit rating dropped.
Thanks to the tea baggers refusing to cut a penny.

Quote:
It comes down to either we control spending and EVERYONE including the welfare types tighten their belts or spending will be controlled for us, it will be out of our hands. The more we spend, the less credit worthy we become and it's the entitlement programs like food stamps and Medicaid that are growing at wild uncontrolled rates.
The Obama plan was 4 trillion in spending cuts, with some huge chunks coming from medicare, medicaid and low income assistance programs. All he was asking for was the right to chip in 1 trillion from the tax cuts to the rich, that's it. The right wingers absolutely refused to cut not one penny. The S&P made it clear the right wingers were behind the downgrade for being a bunch of babies not willing to cut any of their own outrageous spending.
It's quite clear the GOP and tea party don't give a damn about balancing the budget, just to make sure their cronies are taken care of on taxpayer dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 08:08 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,874,254 times
The usual Republican class warfare. What else is new? My employer pulls this nonsense all the time. He offered us a new project requiring a list of qualifications that ran for over a page. The wages offered are nearly four dollars less than a hour than I'm currently earning. The job was described as great opportunity. Yeah for him to earn even more money while demanding ever more from his staff for wages that we were earning nearly a decade ago. But that's Republicanism for you: screwing over the poor and the middle class so some overfed creep can buy his third house.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:09 PM

527 posts, read 468,122 times
There should be MASSIVE cuts to the Pentagon's budget, eliminate subsidies and tax loopholes to corporations posting huge profits while taking the govt. money before going after the poor and needy.Why is it that everyone is outraged over the 'entitlements' to the needy, while silently accepting the handouts to the rich through such subsidies and tax loopholes-dont even try to use the argumentthat they are the 'job creators'-the only jobs they create are overseas to get the low wage slave labor to even further increase the profit margin.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post

The Obama plan was 4 trillion in spending cuts, with some huge chunks coming from medicare, medicaid and low income assistance programs. All he was asking for was the right to chip in 1 trillion from the tax cuts to the rich, that's it. The right wingers absolutely refused to cut not one penny. The S&P made it clear the right wingers were behind the downgrade for being a bunch of babies not willing to cut any of their own outrageous spending.
It's quite clear the GOP and tea party don't give a damn about balancing the budget, just to make sure their cronies are taken care of on taxpayer dollar.
All Obama's plan was big tax hikes on the working taxpayers and some kind of planned "future cuts in spending". The big taxes were going to be immediate and the proposed spending cuts well off into the future.

Not good enough by a long shot. Spending must be cut and must be cut now.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
And keep in mind there are NO Tea Party types or Conservatives in other countries with high debt and AA+ (or lower) credit ratings. Look at Greece or Spain, no Tea Party at all.

It's not fiscal responsibility that got us into trouble.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:21 PM

415 posts, read 616,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
republicans understand a lot of things, including that what is happening in europe is on its way here. we do need to cut back on regulations, and taxes, and government spending. if we dont this country WILL go bankrupt, and then all that social spending that has been done for decades goes away completely because the government HAS NO MONEY. and if that happens, riots will be the least of our problems.

we cannot continue along the path we are on now. if we do we become like the soviet union and we go away. but we are not going to make the needed changes unless we get people in elected office that will use sound business principles to make this country more business friendly so we can grow our way out of the problems we face.

as for cutting off entitlements, even the republicans wont do that, especially not in one go. we are however going to have to ween the american people off the entitlement mentality.
No, they don't. If we are broke, then we NEED TO ACT LIKE IT. If we're cutting old people off social security and medicare, kicking people off food stamps and UI, telling college kids that tough beans no more financial aid, then we had better stop funding wars, other countries, recovery efforts, and everything. EVERYTHING gets cut. The military, the IRS, the top secret pet projects, the pork, the special interest groups, the tribal stuff, Planned Parenthood, the research groups doing bizarre research stuff, aid to Haiti, aid to Israel and Libya, corn subsidies, and whatever else is there. NOTHING IS EXEMPT.

It doesn't matter who we have in power. We're always too broke to help our own grandmas, our own poor people, our own college students, but we love, as a country, to throw money at third world corrupt hellholes in the name of American interests, start wars that we cannot afford, fund bizarre studies where monkeys smoke weed and wear lipstick, and countless other crap.

I read an interesting article on Drudge the other day that pointed out that it is not entitlements that got us into this mess, it is our government spending more and more money that it does not have, and not on entitlements. Supposedly we are broke, but we just threw more money at Libya, we threw more money at Fannie and Freddie, and more money at failing car brands that are all "too big to fail" or "integral to American interests abroad."

The way both parties are running this country is akin to someone telling their landlord that they are too broke to pay the rent, and then going out and buying a $1500 handbag and a $100,000 car. But by god, $600 in rent was too much to ask for.

I'd back the Republicans if they were really going to go after the deficit. But all I am seeing here is them inciting riots by cutting entitlements. And as I've said elsewhere, I'm sure my tax money will continue to subsidize Iowa, pay for weed smoking monkeys, secret ops I know nothing about, Libya, whatever country gets hit by an earthquake or hurricane next, big corporations that need to collapse in a heap of their own dung, and three wars. But by god, we're too broke to feed our poor people.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
No, they don't. If we are broke, then we NEED TO ACT LIKE IT. If we're cutting old people off social security and medicare, kicking people off food stamps and UI, telling college kids that tough beans no more financial aid, then we had better stop funding wars, other countries, recovery efforts, and everything. EVERYTHING gets cut. The military, the IRS, the top secret pet projects, the pork, the special interest groups, the tribal stuff, Planned Parenthood, the research groups doing bizarre research stuff, aid to Haiti, aid to Israel and Libya, corn subsidies, and whatever else is there. NOTHING IS EXEMPT.

It doesn't matter who we have in power. We're always too broke to help our own grandmas, our own poor people, our own college students, but we love, as a country, to throw money at third world corrupt hellholes in the name of American interests, start wars that we cannot afford, fund bizarre studies where monkeys smoke weed and wear lipstick, and countless other crap.

I read an interesting article on Drudge the other day that pointed out that it is not entitlements that got us into this mess, it is our government spending more and more money that it does not have, and not on entitlements. Supposedly we are broke, but we just threw more money at Libya, we threw more money at Fannie and Freddie, and more money at failing car brands that are all "too big to fail" or "integral to American interests abroad."

The way both parties are running this country is akin to someone telling their landlord that they are too broke to pay the rent, and then going out and buying a $1500 handbag and a $100,000 car. But by god, $600 in rent was too much to ask for.

I'd back the Republicans if they were really going to go after the deficit. But all I am seeing here is them inciting riots by cutting entitlements. And as I've said elsewhere, I'm sure my tax money will continue to subsidize Iowa, pay for weed smoking monkeys, secret ops I know nothing about, Libya, whatever country gets hit by an earthquake or hurricane next, big corporations that need to collapse in a heap of their own dung, and three wars. But by god, we're too broke to feed our poor people.
Comparing able-bodied healthy but lazy college kids to elderly ill seniors needing Medicare is kind of far fetched don't you think?

Many of us didn't party and lay around playing video games when we went to college but actually worked our way through.

That's a good example of the entitlement attitude many now have. They want to go to college and get rich someday but they want the working people to pay their way. Why? Because they are too elite to have to work for something they want, something that will benefit them very nicely.

Exactly why should a factory worker be taxed to pay for someone's wonderful education so he or she will be well paid and look down on that factory worker?

Old 08-29-2011, 11:18 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,946,541 times
Quote:
And you believe the democrats do????
Do what? Care about jobs? Jeez, try reading my post already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
The Republicans don't care that there are no freaking jobs. Political power is no longer defined by the amount of support from the people, rather it is created by huge contributions from wealthy International Corporations. In the last major election, the Dems copped to this and were pigging out at the trough with everyone else.
Quote:
(Long list of sins committed by Democrats in regard to protecting and keeping jobs in America.)
Honey, you're preaching to the choir with this one. I am enraged at how both political parties have not only just stood by and watched, but even actively encouraged the outsourcing of so many of America's jobs.

Our country is in such serious trouble on so many levels, it makes me want to cry.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:41 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,946,541 times
Quote:
Liberals don't seem to have noticed that the USA credit rating dropped. I realize Obama insisted after S&P dropped our rating, that we are still AAA but that's really not the case.
And Conservatives also appear to be oblivious to this fact. With them it's just party on and God forbid anyone pays the bill by re-instating taxes - especially on mega-corporations and the top 5% or 10% in wealth who hold 50% of the entire income of the US.

I cannot believe that Conservatives want the rest of us to believe that they are the party of fiscal responsibility when they flatly refuse to pay so much as one thin dime in taxes to run this country. They are like spoiled children who figure they'll just get by on the family trust fund and never lift so much as a finger to go earn some money and pay their fair share in the upkeep of this country.

Quote:
It comes down to either we control spending and EVERYONE including the welfare types tighten their belts or spending will be controlled for us, it will be out of our hands. The more we spend, the less credit worthy we become and it's the entitlement programs like food stamps and Medicaid that are growing at wild uncontrolled rates.
EVERYONE is not tightening their belts. Why do you persist in pretending that the Bush tax cuts for the very wealthy never happened and in fact remain in effect to this very day, thanks to the greed of International Mega Corporations and the short-sightedness of the Conservative party?

I can decide that I don't feel like paying the rent or the mortgage, and then attempt to make up for this by driving my car less. Except - whoops! That car is needed to get me to my job 50 miles away. But never mind about that because since I've decided to stop behaving in a responsible financial manner, I don't need to pay the gas bill either because I just won't give the kids more than one meal a day. And here we go for yet another round of conservative "fiscal responsibility." Spare us, please.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:19 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,996,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Dude, Bloom County was the worst cartoon strip ever created.
What it buddy, I have fond memories of "Death Tongue",Bill the Cat, Opus, Steve Dallas and Edith Ann. If you are not careful I send the X-7 Cruise Bassolope your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies