Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 06:48 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It was rare to hear the National Anthem before World War II.
The fact that the 'Star Spangled Banner' wasn't officially named as our National Anthem until 1931 may have had something to do with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 06:58 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
It's a show of respect, unity, patriotism and its a tradition.. nothing more, nothing less.

If you don't like the song, don't sing. I don't think you are charged an extra fee for not singing... If you don't like Military men/woman or symbols.. then don't clap for them.. again, no extra charge. That's beauty of living in a free country..

I don't think the powers that be are plotting indoctrination for the souls that are lost. I don't have to be brainwashed in order to support my country, i do it out of free will.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:09 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,524 times
It's just an American culture thing. Eating bad food in excess, showing displays of power and faithful nationalism, friendly and unfriendly competition, and just generally being surrounded by national symbolism. It's the same reason why people do the same thing for holidays like labor day: "Fire up the grill, pa! And let's throw the pigskin around! Throw down a coupla Buds! It's the American way!"

I'm not a fan, this is just my hypothesis.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:18 AM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
It's a show of respect, unity, patriotism and its a tradition.. nothing more, nothing less.

If you don't like the song, don't sing. I don't think you are charged an extra fee for not singing... If you don't like Military men/woman or symbols.. then don't clap for them.. again, no extra charge. That's beauty of living in a free country..

I don't think the powers that be are plotting indoctrination for the souls that are lost. I don't have to be brainwashed in order to support my country, i do it out of free will.
Bingo....

Old 09-01-2011, 07:19 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
To promote nationalism.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:23 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
wow, look at all the sour pusses in here. Why don't you guys just move to Russia or North Korea or something. I've never seen such a sour attituded bunch of people in my life.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:28 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
"Why is the National Anthem Played at Public Events?"
Is such situations the public is a captive audience.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:35 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
wow, look at all the sour pusses in here. Why don't you guys just move to Russia or North Korea or something. I've never seen such a sour attituded bunch of people in my life.
Because they are even worse about promoting nationalism than we are.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:46 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
This is a serious question. Anybody know?

I am trying to figure out how a modern-day baseball or football game is linked to a song written in 1814 during the battle of Fort McHenry in Baltimore, MD. Who is making the decision that all sporting events have the national anthem broadcasted to the entire audience? Is it the owners? The professional leagues and academic associations? Are there laws forcing the national anthem to be played at public events?

Follow up question: why is it that the military gets so much publicity at sporting events? Veterans get applause when they appear on the jumbo screen. Stadiums and arenas have many military personnel singing the national anthem. Fighter jets and helicopters do flyovers after the national anthems.

What does the military presence at stadiums and arenas mean? Is this a recruitment vehicle for the all-volunteer armed forces? Is this a PR image strategy in order to make the military more "humble" and "honorable"? Is this an intimating gesture against the American public?

My simple answer: the national anthem and military ceremonies at public sporting events are forms of indoctrination. There is a concerted plan by the government and the wealthy (i.e. sports team owners) to instill a sense of patriotism as a form of distraction from the real horrors of American government power and market destruction of human lives and the environment.

What do you guys think?

I think that you should avoid attending sporting events if you don't like it.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:56 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,089,219 times
Is it that big of a deal? Please I hope youre not complaining about it. Stuff like this is as close to culture and any sense of unity that America has. I just see people complaining about stuff like this all the time and trying to get a white washed boring America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies