Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:52 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times

Advertisements

At my effective tax rate, I work 3 months out of the year for the government. The government takes 3 months of my work and I get to keep the other 9. How do you feel about working many months out of the year for the government? How would you feel if you could spend those months working to pay for your kid's education, to retire earlier, etc.

How do you feel knowing you spend many months out of the year, working your job, so that Wall Street bankers can get bonuses, that Iraqis have freedom: none of which benefit you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 10:57 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
At my effective tax rate, I work 3 months out of the year for the government. The government takes 3 months of my work and I get to keep the other 9. How do you feel about working many months out of the year for the government? How would you feel if you could spend those months working to pay for your kid's education, to retire earlier, etc.

How do you feel knowing you spend many months out of the year, working your job, so that Wall Street bankers can get bonuses, that Iraqis have freedom: none of which benefit you?
One of every eight dollars paid to United Health Care goes to the CEOs Salary, that is one mans salary, and he doesn't even pay wage tax on that.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:59 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:

You need a new CPA.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:01 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
I think the other question that must be asked with the op question is "how much does the government do for you". While I may be taxed 35% every year, I get all or most of my social security back, Medicare, safe food saving doctors visits and keeping ne at work working, etc. The list goes on and on.

The idea that the government takes and gives nothing back is ridiculous.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think the other question that must be asked with the op question is "how much does the government do for you". While I may be taxed 35% every year, I get all or most of my social security back, Medicare, safe food saving doctors visits and keeping ne at work working, etc. The list goes on and on.

The idea that the government takes and gives nothing back is ridiculous.
The fair value of services I receive from the government is 1/4 of that which I pay in taxes. I will bet anyone $100 on that.

Let's start here. I pay 5.65%/25% to the government in social security and medicare and I will get ZERO of that back when I am eligible so we're already in the red with benefit vs cost.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:15 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
The fair value of services I receive from the government is 1/4 of that which I pay in taxes. I will bet anyone $100 on that.

Let's start here. I pay 5.65%/25% to the government in social security and medicare and I will get ZERO of that back when I am eligible so we're already in the red with benefit vs cost.
Bull****, back up your claim. The air you breath, the water you drink, the education of your children, the roads you drive on, the safe flight you took, etc, all provided through tax money.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:16 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
How long do you work for the government each year?
about
2080 hours

80 hours a payperiod...26 pay periods a year

Last edited by workingclasshero; 08-30-2011 at 11:31 AM..

Old 08-30-2011, 11:22 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Well one alos has to realise that government works all year proving service the major decide they want by voting.One could calunlate now long works for the fiancers ;grocery store;insurance companies etc. but I think at eleast we agree that once we leave out driveway we want a road to drive on ;if you drive and other services provide for in taxes. The bascias everyone agree on ;its just getting more to pay and what we want to pay for that is disagreed on.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Bull****, back up your claim. The air you breath, the water you drink, the education of your children, the roads you drive on, the safe flight you took, etc, all provided through tax money.
Back it up? I just did.

I have an effective tax rate of 25%.

5.65%/25% goes to a social security/medicare fund of which I will never see.

I went to private school my whole life. I did go to a public university, but that's laughable considering my degree still cost $60,000 and my university only receives 19% of its funds from taxpayer money. I suppose it's fair to say that 19% of my university education was public.

I'm not saying I don't receive any benefit. I said that I shell out more than I receive. Care to prove otherwise?

Old 08-30-2011, 11:39 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
I have an effective tax rate of 25%.
unless you are rich you are not paying anything near 25%

60k puts you in the 15% bracket, and I can tell you as a person who earns 60k..I get EVERYTHING back federally...I get hit by the state and mostly from the local (property tax is 20% of my gross(at 13k))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies