Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 12:15 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times

Advertisements

lberta is number one when it comes to labour market performance across North America, says a report released by the Fraser Institute on Thursday.
The think tank evaluated employment growth, private sector growth, rates and duration of unemployment and overall productivity in 10 Canadian provinces and all 50 American states between 2006 and 2010.

Alberta had the best-performing job market among all jurisdictions, with the highest total employment growth — including growth in the private sector — and the second-lowest duration of unemployment, the report said.
Saskatchewan came in second overall among all provinces and states, while Manitoba placed fourth, tied with North Dakota. B.C. was ranked at sixth place overall, tied with Wyoming.

“The Western provinces have evolved into labour market powerhouses, not only compared to the rest of Canada, but also to the United States,” said Amela Karabegović, a senior economist at the Fraser Institute who co-authored the report.

source:Alberta's labour market leads North America - *News - MSN CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 02:16 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,992,839 times
Proud Canadian, what price is Alberta paying for being the Tar Sands Capital for the world? Do you know what is being done to get oil out of the tar sands in Alberta? Where do you think the waste sand and polluted water are being dumped? Mile after blackened mile ....

Old 09-01-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Proud Canadian, what price is Alberta paying for being the Tar Sands Capital for the world? Do you know what is being done to get oil out of the tar sands in Alberta? Where do you think the waste sand and polluted water are being dumped? Mile after blackened mile ....
Yes I have seen the tailings ponds and the benifts of creating jobs in both countries and the US not needing to be as dependant on oil from the ME.. which means mean we don't have to send troops to secure and protect piplines and deal with countries with govronments that use the oil money fund radical terroist groups...

we can't have it both ways we either keep depending on ME oil and our not have to send our fighting men and women to wars over it there and OPEC would have no influence..

I mean creating jobs and and having a secure source of oil and the downside is taillings ponds and a bit higher CO2 emissions..but than again Canada oil industry is regulated while chia does not even have to have any evironmental controls

Old 09-01-2011, 04:10 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
I agree with GTO. I'd rather we get our oil from Canada than from the Middle East, despite it being more expensive due to extra refinement. Mwruckman, let's be realistic. Some pollution is always gonna happen. You can't stop it 100%, unless you want all of us to live a lifestyle that predates the Stone Age.

I wonder how good North Dakota's economy will be after more oil starts to be developed there. Sadly, something like oil is needed to prop up certain jurisdictions in North America. I don't think Texas's economy would be as strong as it is now if it weren't for the good quality crude that comes out of the ground between El Paso and Midland

Old 09-01-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I agree with GTO. I'd rather we get our oil from Canada than from the Middle East, despite it being more expensive due to extra refinement. Mwruckman, let's be realistic. Some pollution is always gonna happen. You can't stop it 100%, unless you want all of us to live a lifestyle that predates the Stone Age.

I wonder how good North Dakota's economy will be after more oil starts to be developed there. Sadly, something like oil is needed to prop up certain jurisdictions in North America. I don't think Texas's economy would be as strong as it is now if it weren't for the good quality crude that comes out of the ground between El Paso and Midland
I think the Canadian oil sands and US Natural gas will be the way we will go for power and fuel for the 21st century now that the super easy sweet light crude stuff is near gone...

Since CNN has the EXXON comercial promoting the keystone XL pipeline then ANGA has the clean fuel for the future ad and they are on every commercial break.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I think the Canadian oil sands and US Natural gas will be the way we will go for power and fuel for the 21st century now that the super easy sweet light crude stuff is near gone...

Since CNN has the EXXON comercial promoting the keystone XL pipeline then ANGA has the clean fuel for the future ad and they are on every commercial break.
My thinking always was, we shouldn't drill for ANY of our (the U.S.'s) oil until the ME dries up, then people will buy our oil at higher prices and we economically benefit from it, as will Canada since Canada's tar sands are just as large as Saudi Arabia's oil reserves

Old 09-01-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
My thinking always was, we shouldn't drill for ANY of our (the U.S.'s) oil until the ME dries up, then people will buy our oil at higher prices and we economically benefit from it, as will Canada since Canada's tar sands are just as large as Saudi Arabia's oil reserves
Alberta moved closer to reality after a Calgary-based company filed for a licence to build the province's first reactor.
Energy Alberta Corp. said late Monday it has formally requested permission from the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission to construct a pair of twin-unit Candu reactors about 500 kilometres northwest of Edmonton.

Power from the reactors would be sold to oilsands developments that use heat and electricity to generate steam, which is then pumped into the ground to enhance recovery.

After Athabasca, the Peace River area hosts the province's largest oilsands reserves that remain largely untapped.

According to Energy Alberta's website, nuclear power is an alternative to burning expensive natural gas to increase Alberta's oilsands production, which is expected to quadruple by 2020.

Energy Alberta will initially build one twin ACR-1000 that will produce 2,200 megawatts of electricity with a targeted in-service date of early 2017.

I mean Canada is trying to keep it quite after the Fukishima incident and now waiting for Keystone XL pipeline to get the offical approval and that is already drawing alot of press...

Old 09-01-2011, 07:37 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,314,137 times
Alberta is nice but I prefer Saskatchewan and Manitoba. I read on Zerohedge that Canada has basically just entered a recession.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
Alberta is nice but I prefer Saskatchewan and Manitoba. I read on Zerohedge that Canada has basically just entered a recession.
No country is safe from recession. Not even Australia, which is going to enter recession in the near future especially since the housing market is starting to show signs of slowing down and China. China has the mother of all property bubbles and it pales in comparison to the U.S.'s.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:15 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,992,839 times
Quote:

The problem is West Texas Intermediate Crude is becoming harder to produce and there is a big sucking slurping sound being heard in those fields. The only reason Syncrude and other tar sands ventures are a worthwhile concern is the price of oil is likely to stay north of 85 dollars a barrel from now on. The same with coaxing gas out of shale formations near coal deposits which is called fracking. We are running full speed to a brick wall called peak oil, peak gas and peak coal. So who is being so unrealistic here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies