Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 05:56 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,387 times

Advertisements

Our son, now age 4, was born with 85% hearing loss in both ears. He has speech therapy and requires hearing aids. Recently, he has worn out the clear ear molds and our audiologist said they would be about $75 for new molds. We called our insurance and they told us the molds would not be covered, however, if the molds were ordered with new hearing aids, they would be covered. And since there is no deductible, we will put in an order for the top of the line hearing aids. I love it! The insurance company would rather pay $3,000+ for new aids than to pay $75 for new molds.

Anyone else see that as crazy?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 07:06 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Our son, now age 4, was born with 85% hearing loss in both ears. He has speech therapy and requires hearing aids. Recently, he has worn out the clear ear molds and our audiologist said they would be about $75 for new molds. We called our insurance and they told us the molds would not be covered, however, if the molds were ordered with new hearing aids, they would be covered. And since there is no deductible, we will put in an order for the top of the line hearing aids. I love it! The insurance company would rather pay $3,000+ for new aids than to pay $75 for new molds.

As an exercise in curiosity, just to see what the result would be, why not explain that very rationale explained above to them (preferably in a written letter - though I know going through written channels takes a little bit more time. However, if you want to get through to them, I think it's a better medium).

If you just call on the phone, you usually get a low level functionary, and it's not necessarily within their job description to always do things which make any sense whatsoever... they just follow the "pre-written script" of crap they are told to do, regardless of how ostensibly dumb it may be in certain circumstances. Maybe if you can grab some upper-level management persons name off the Internet, you could explain in two short paragraphs how: (a) what they are doing seems incredibly stupid, and (b) conclude with a short sentence about how if they would simply pay attention to what you are saying... instead of ignoring common sense, as they so often do... they would save themselves a few thousand dollars.

Unless of course, you want the new hearing aid.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:25 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,026,960 times
I had minor cancer surgery which would not be covered as an out patient,meaning in the docs office.So we rented a hospital room for 3 grand and paid an RN to stand there and an ana something and a bunch of other junk and then they covered it. room rent was for 24 hours even though I went home after 2 hours.total extra cost 8 grand for a stupid carcinoma on bottom lip. then the raised my ins from 300 a mo to 1800 a mo. been paying cash ever since

Old 08-30-2011, 07:41 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Quote:

Someone in that insurance agency is getting a kick back.

Glad your son is getting taken care of though I feel fortunate myself to have a good job and insurance to take care of my kids, although they rarely get sick. I feel awful for those who are unable to obtain good insurance for their kids and themselves.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:44 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times
Quote:

Why not just do the honorable thing and pay the $75 for what you actually need?

It's people like you that make the system what it is.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:47 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

Thats like blaming Rich folks for taking tax cuts, or poor people for taking welfare.

Use all you can get legally, thats smart. I don't think I'm going to change the mind of the "super rich" making over a million a year that they should pay more taxes. Hell I'd soak everything for all I can get. But that doesn't stop me from trying to educate the other 99% of us how stupid it is to continue those tax cuts.

Everyone should do whatever they can to actively resist the government by taking every red cent you possibly can from it.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:47 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,192 times
Quote:

I see it as a flaw , and we wonder how DEBT snowballs good example

Old 08-30-2011, 07:48 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Thats like blaming Rich folks for taking tax cuts, or poor people for taking welfare.

Use all you can get legally, thats smart. I don't think I'm going to change the mind of the "super rich" making over a million a year that they should pay more taxes. Hell I'd soak everything for all I can get. But that doesn't stop me from trying to educate the other 99% of us how stupid it is to continue those tax cuts.

Everyone should do whatever they can to actively resist the government by taking every red cent you possibly can from it.
Let me guess....you're a democrat, right?

Old 08-30-2011, 07:50 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

Excellent post!!! This is the heart of the matter, over all and in general. "How can I get over on someone, something, etc and get out of paying and make someone else pay for me. Then cry and scream, when my taxes go up, my healthcare costs go up, etc."

There is NO free lunch. Some of us are paying for our health insurance and because of deadbeats, we pay more. Doesn't matter, as long as they get theirs.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:51 PM

21,096 posts, read 19,701,602 times
That is crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies