Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 03:54 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Something I have not read in any of the responses here...

Flashing the high beams to warn about a speed trap is a very bad idea and a serious safety hazard. In many cases, it blinds the oncoming driver for a couple of seconds. If that driver panics, you could find yourself trying to avoid a head-on collision. There have been people I've known, whose eyes close when hit with bright lights, and it can be as long as 15 or 20 seconds before they can open them again. I know people that will not drive at night because of this danger. If the oncoming driver is one of these people, the simple act of flashing the high beams on and off again can cause a serious, and even fatal accident.

Instead, turning the headlights off and back on again is far safer. It blinds no one for any period of time that becomes a hazard.
Well, then you can't read, because that comment was right above you.
I agree...usually on big highways, though, there is no way that is going to happen, because oncoming traffic is so far away from you. In the daytime, it matters less, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 04:17 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post

He let me go after stating he could arrest me if he so wished for obstruction. I was so displeased that I decided to write a complaint to the FHP. I researched and found he had made a major illegal weapons arrest on that roadway a few months earlier.(Griffin Road in Davie for locals) I suppose he was settling in to the same spot and awaiting another offender.
It's a sad day in America when a cop can arrest somebody for flashing their lights.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:19 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Could be! Where in Wales?
Barry. Just outside of Cardiff.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:24 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Barry. Just outside of Cardiff.
I know it well bach. Did a few gigs at the Memorial Hall . I was born in Pontypool and finished up in Newport.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:28 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Simple solution.. Don't speed and you won't get a speeding ticket..

Old 12-21-2011, 04:59 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Simple solution.. Don't speed and you won't get a speeding ticket..
You have it Sir!

Old 12-21-2011, 06:08 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Stupid Officer.

When they use those laws such as that for insignificant purposes, the law ends up being tried in court and then the officer loses yet another law that would be useful for pulling over an actual legitimate offender.

It is the same with some states that have "improper lane change" or "improper right or left turn", etc... They are subjective laws meant to give an officer a legal means of pulling over someone who is highly suspect case where normally, you wouldn't have any means to do so.

Officers are taught (unofficially) to be careful about using them as they should only be used in extremely obvious cases of an erratic multi-lane change that is dangerous or when it can be used on a suspect that is believed to be in a major violation through other means which has no immediate PC to pull over.

All this officer did is make this vague law a target of removal.
Virtually every state in the country has laws that require you to signal a lane change or a turn. In the majority of states, the police do not enforce it. Perhaps, because the police, themselves, do not obey that one. But, check your state's "driver's handbook"... Bet you it's in there, no matter what state you're in. Vermont is one of few states that is serious about enforcing it.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:15 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Then is it also within my first amendment rights to mount red and blue emergency flashers on the roof and drive around with them on?

It isn't about expression, it is about traffic laws regarding use of lights.
Um.. running around with flashing lights on the roof would imply an intent to deceave other drivers..

Not even close to the same comparison

Old 12-21-2011, 06:17 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I was driving one evening in a stretch of road,(A divided four lane highway with center meridian), flanked by a canal and vegetation with no overhead lighting and no other background lighting. There was also no moon so it was quite dark. I noticed a vehicle stopped in the center meridian and flashed my lights at the fellow. The vehicle immediately lite up and it was a FHP trooper in a marked car who proceeded to pull me over.

He checked my various IDs and then advised me he could ticket me for flashing my lights at him. I told him the truth--I did not know he was a police car. The road lighting conditions are so dark that I thought him a hazard to traffic and flashed so that he would be aware. I thought it was either a disabled vehicle or absent minded driver behind the wheel. I also told him that he could be easily rear-ended as FHP cars use that two-tone black/mustard paint scheme which melds nicely with background in low light conditions.

He let me go after stating he could arrest me if he so wished for obstruction. I was so displeased that I decided to write a complaint to the FHP. I researched and found he had made a major illegal weapons arrest on that roadway a few months earlier.(Griffin Road in Davie for locals) I suppose he was settling in to the same spot and awaiting another offender.
Thats nothing, I once had a copy show up at my home because I stuck up my middle finger to another driver, wanting to arrest me. I had to educate him on the law, and the middle finger being a first amendment right as well, and if I was arrested, it would open the township up to a legal liability for denying my first amendment rights.

He was not a happy camper by time he left my home but a few months later I heard a guy was paid tens of thousands by the town next to us because he was arrested for using his middle finger.

Found the story http://www.foxnews.com/us/2009/11/23...er-settlement/

Last edited by pghquest; 12-21-2011 at 06:37 AM..

Old 12-21-2011, 06:23 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
Kind of surprised that others are surprised by this. I grew up in Maryland (am in my 50s now) and it has always been the case that if a cop sees you flashing your lights to warn an oncoming driver of radar, they will ticket you. That's why I always waited until I was out of view of the cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies