Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 01:01 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Trust me that I mean no personal stab when I ask you this.....but does "Bigg Mann" allude to a certain stature? Could that stature have contributed to your health problems, and thus your disability/inability to work?

If so, then it's best that I not comment any further, because there's not one single iota of empathy that would come from these typing fingers.
To clear up some assumtions (sp) I have always been Bigg. I am 6'4" and averaged 300 lbs most of life. I was a delivery driver running a handcart delivering 500 cases of freight to 30 stores daily and was one of 3 fastest out of 50 drivers.

I got hit by a backhoe and thrown 20 feet when I was 24 yrs old. Was told I would likely need hip replace later in life. That became reality 4 yrs ago when I was not able to do my job anymore and normal tasks were becoming more and more difficult.

YES I have gained even more weight due to not being able to walk much more than 25 feet due to bone on bone pain. I have been working out with personal trainer at YMCA but unable to continue due to pain. Will be getting Lab Band surgery later this yr and hip replaced after that.

Belive me I would rather be making what I was (60,000.00) than getting SSDI. Thanks for not speaking before knowing whole story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 09:39 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Who said anything about taking away your benefits?

When you rail and vent against entitlements it is an implied threat to take away benefits that some people rely on for survival. To me it is no different than pointing a gun at me.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:01 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
When you rail and vent against entitlements it is an implied threat to take away benefits that some people rely on for survival. To me it is no different than pointing a gun at me.
That is full BS. I rail about Obama but don't want to see him dead, just gone and away from doing more harm than he has already done.

If you honestly rtake all of this personally then you need to get a thicker skin or stop being on the internet.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:49 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman
That is full BS. I rail about Obama but don't want to see him dead, just gone and away from doing more harm than he has already done.

If you honestly rtake all of this personally then you need to get a thicker skin or stop being on the internet.
How can a person not take it personally when someone else is supporting and helping to drive the movement in congress to take his benefits away? That's pretty darn personal.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:57 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
How can a person not take it personally when someone else is supporting and helping to drive the movement in congress to take his benefits away? That's pretty darn personal.
But nobody is doing that. You can't see the forest for the trees. They don't want to take away from people who already receive it. They want to prevent the fraud and waste as the biggest driver. You need to stop feeling sorry for yourself and try to think a little.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:25 AM

640 posts, read 1,214,896 times
I have been on SSI for a short time. I have a documented disability called aspergers syndrome. I have been to therapy before. I am still high functioning and I have worked retail earlier this year before I got laid off. I used to be on SSI when I was younger for a year but I got my benefits cut off because I wanted to work. I was sick of being judged and called a scum of the earth and still am. I had alot of trouble finding a job and so now I am back on SSI, because my parents FORCED me to. I get very little money and it goes to my rent the same day I get it. I apply for jobs whenever I have the chance to.....mcdonalds, the grocery store, walmart, gas stations, anything I can find. I have a backlog of applications.

The comments about people not wanting to take any job are just generalizations. Some of us actually want to work and will do anything, but we have to deal with discrimination (AS is an invisible impairment), and snobby employers who blow you off and have shady hiring practices. That's coming from someone who is 21 now, who has been looking on and off for a job since 18. I did my part and still do. I apply, I follow up, I ask people around. I may only have a G.E.D., but the jobs I am going for shouldn't require much more then a pulse.

Why is it that we never hear much about people with disabilities who want to work? Most of the time, all we hear about is disabled people being poor bums who need others to take care of them. This leads me to believe that there is some kind of deliberate agenda to persecute people with different disabilities. Then the eugenic Nazi types like yourself create these ridiculous belief systems that hold no weight in reality.

If you are so concerned, maybe you should stop judging people and start solving the problem. Start up a business and hire only disabled people. Don't say disabled people "don't want to work". I have aspergers, and I WANT to work. I don't want to live off the government. If you care so much, help disabled people who have ambitions to find a job. There's 2 kinds of help. You can help people be a crutch or you can help people become self sufficient. Which one do you choose. Instead of helping a disabled person become self sufficient you would rather have them live off the government and then call them losers.

People like yourself are a dime a dozen. I ask myself when I hear your complaints, if I showed up to your grocery store or place of business, would you offer me a job so I could get off my SSI? Or would you throw my application out and then call me a loser for having no choice but to be on SSI. You create your own problem, really!

Who's the real loser, the disabled person who wants to work, or employers who get a kick out of discriminating? Some people have no choice but to be on social security.

85% of aspergers people are unemployed, even in a good economy. It's mostly because of discrimination. Such as this case:

Randstad US Sued by EEOC for Disability Discrimination

For me, I will probably never get to live a normal life, because I've come into a screwed up world. Vocational Rehabilitation is my last option, I will know this week if I can finally start making a change for the good. If not, I am just going to be going out, and getting depressed wondering how I'm supposed to beat a society that throws me into a catch 22 situation.

Thankfully stuff like vocrehab and local employment agencies for people with disabilities exist, because dear god a disabled person wants to work, oh nooooooooooo we can't have that, you're supposed to be on the dole and wear your bum badge proudly cause you don't want to work, who cares if you get discriminated for a stocking job at the local supermarket, that's your fault.

Look in the mirror guys.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:44 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
I am just saying, the US government policies are not helpful. Its not a question of rights, its a question of what is good for everyone. Is it better to have disabled people sitting draining family financial resources, losing their youth merely "existing", or is it better to find ways to empower disabled people to have self-sufficiency, even if it costs you some money in the short term? If you think you will never be disabled, you are fooling yourself. Disability can happen to anyone.
That's just it. People are against disabled people becoming self-sufficient and working, and people are against safety nets. Hence, the problem exists!

So.....what do people want? Which one?

What's said person supposed to do? You want them to work? You are against that, remember?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
The day that a disabled person has the same chance getting a job as an able-bodied person is the day that we can reserve benefits for people that physically cannot work. Until then, those that can work but can't get hired need a way to survive as well.
That's THE problem. Of course you are going to have the neo-nazi's who blame you both ways.

Disabled? Can't find a job because everyone discriminates? Your fault.

Have no other way to survive but government assistance? You're a slimy scum of the earth, who should die off. I can't speak for everyone, but I'd like to be self-sufficient.

For people like me, it's a catch 22. I am only 21 and my life is being taken from me by the day. I never asked for this. Everyday I become more and more miserable, more and more dissapointed with myself. I never even got a chance to go through a door, let alone failing.

If you own a business, and you don't hire people with disabilities because of some bias you have.....then turn around and slam those same people who have no choice BUT to be on assistance.....then you ought to look in the mirror. What you have essentially done, is contribute to the very thing you claim to be against.

If your society doesn't want me to be self-sufficient, and I am going to get persecuted for being forced to take an alternative route, then I will gladly lay down and die. Just do it already.

My life is destroyed anyways.

Last edited by silenthelpreturns; 06-19-2012 at 05:03 PM..

Old 06-19-2012, 05:55 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
How can a person not take it personally when someone else is supporting and helping to drive the movement in congress to take more and more of the money I earn from the sweat of my brow and give it to someone else? That's pretty darn personal.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:56 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
To all the rightwing posters on the forum, i have a message.

Your policies hurt me. I am 35 years old and I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome a year ago, but was told I have optic nerve hypoplasia at a young age. Two months ago I was told I have a brain tumor. I have hormone imbalances. My family takes care of me but the medical bills are piling up. I applied for Social Security almost a year ago due to disability from having Asperger's, depression, and mental health issues. I've been waiting a year ,denied multiple times, and now forced to seek a lawyer and administrative hearing. In other countries I would have received disability payments by this time, but not in the US.". Some time in my life I'd like to be able to move out and at least share an appartment but I'm broke- the only government program I receive is food stamps. The victims of your policies are not just abstract faceless figures, they are real human beings like me who have hopes and dreams for our life. Social Security needs more funding, not less. More administrative judges. I have a friend online who had to wait 3 years, and she has MS. This is cruel, and shouldn't be tolerated in a so-called civilized nation.
You said you have Optic Nerve Hypoplasia. Are you visually impaired? I'm Asperger's but I got SSI for my blindness...much easier than applying based on Asperger's. Just food for thought. If you're not VI, maybe you should try applying based on the brain tumor rather than the Asperger's/mental health issues. They tend to take physical disabilities more easily because they're easier to prove. Mental illnesses can be faked by people who are good at acting and therefore the SSA is usually more reluctant to approve those applications. Hope it works out for you.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:43 PM

629 posts, read 771,941 times
It doesnt sound like the OP has enough credits (quarters of working and paying into the sytem) to qualify for SSDI. I was recently diagnosed with Ewings sarcoma which will be put on the compassionate afflictions list in August. I still cant find a way to make SSDI work for me. I have a family to raise and bills to pay so I drag my sick arse to work as much as possible and do what I can to take care of myself and beat this thing.

I dont think conservatives want to take anything from anyone. We sure as heck dont want to continue to pay for the expansion of the FED at the rate we have over the las 50 years. The safety net is there and it is more than adequate enough is enough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies