Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 06:39 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,582,287 times

Advertisements

Without Insurance, 24-year-old Dies of Toothache - ABC News

Quote:
24-year-old Cincinnati father died from a tooth infection this week because he couldn't afford his medication,
Quote:
Willis story is not unique. In 2007, 12-year-old Deamonte Driver also died when a tooth infection spread to his brain. The Maryland boy underwent two operations and six weeks of hospital care, totaling $250,000. Doctors said a routine $80 tooth extraction could have saved his life. His family was uninsured and had recently lost its Medicaid benefits, keeping Deamonte from having dental surgery.
These two people would not have died if they received earlier treatment for their tooth infection. They couldn't afford the treatment and they didnt have insurance. Instead, they ended up in the ER and died but this cost the hospital hundreds of thousands of dollars. All they needed was a $100 operation and a prescription of antibiotics.

Of course, the families of these people are not blameless. Why was the 24 year old unemployed? How come he or his family couldn't come up with a couple of hundred for an operation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 06:44 AM

146 posts, read 89,260 times
One does not need insurance to get treatment. What's your point? I was SELF insured for 20 years and paid my own and my family's medical bills. Am I supposed to pay for yours too?

Old 09-03-2011, 06:50 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Without Insurance, 24-year-old Dies of Toothache - ABC News

These two people would not have died if they received earlier treatment for their tooth infection. They couldn't afford the treatment and they didnt have insurance. Instead, they ended up in the ER and died but this cost the hospital hundreds of thousands of dollars. All they needed was a $100 operation and a prescription of antibiotics.

Of course, the families of these people are not blameless. Why was the 24 year old unemployed? How come he or his family couldn't come up with a couple of hundred for an operation?
Your thread title is an understatement. Very sad.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:51 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-cal View Post
One does not need insurance to get treatment. What's your point? I was SELF insured for 20 years and paid my own and my family's medical bills. Am I supposed to pay for yours too?
How could they get insurance when they didn't have any money to pay for it?

The pharmacist doesn't hand you pills if you don't pay, try it some time.

Certainly doesn't save any money when an infection that could be cured with $20 of antibiotics results in $250,000 in hospital bills. How smart is not kicking in a little bit in taxes so you can save a life, and since you care only about money...$250,000 in related costs you need to foot now due to cost shifting?

Old 09-03-2011, 06:52 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,582,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-cal View Post
My point is do we just cover the leechers of society or do we say "sorry you're on your own".

Many of them will end up in the ER and cost the hospital hundreds of thousands of dollars that you and I will have to pay for anyway.

The boy in the story above would have lived if he received an $80 tooth extraction operation. So instead of an cheap operation you are now paying for his $250,000 ER bill.

Do we really save any money in the end?

Old 09-03-2011, 06:53 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
The US has the greatest HC Technology, not the greatest delivery system, yet.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:55 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,414,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
You wouldn't try to tell me, poster, that this 24 year-old practiced oral hygiene?

A daily brushing and flossing would have saved his life, I'm guessing. So, maybe the parents are to blame for not keeping after the guy. This is, by no means, a legitimate rationale for supporting Obumblercare.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:59 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
From your link...
" Willis went to the emergency room, where he received prescriptions for antibiotics and pain medications. Willis couldn't afford both, so he chose the pain medications. "

Not saying this was the case but generally , amipicillin is prescribed for dental infections.
Many grocery stores now fill prescriptions for that and other cheap antibiotics for free.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:00 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
You wouldn't try to tell me, poster, that this 24 year-old practiced oral hygiene?

A daily brushing and flossing would have saved his life, I'm guessing. So, maybe the parents are to blame for not keeping after the guy. This is, by no means, a legitimate rationale for supporting Obumblercare.
It doesn't state much info (and it won't either way due to HIPAA)...but considering a dentist at a teeth cleaning told him the wisdom tooth needed to be pulled I wouldn't consider that the action of some one who didn't practice at least decent oral hygiene.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:07 AM

146 posts, read 89,260 times
Liberal logic (and lack of knowledge of the countless aid programs for the poor) is truly a thing to behold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies