Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 10:19 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,860,190 times

Advertisements

The union mentality proves itself to be worthless again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 10:23 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,963,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The Left, unions, dems are utterly clueless when it comes to running a business.
Hear,hear.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:28 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,104,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The Left, unions, dems are utterly clueless when it comes to running a business.
Wow....you need to take a political science class more than Paris Hilton needs to take an acting class.

Steve Jobs IS a democrat. And Bill Gates has voted Democrat before as well. So much for your accusation Dems are clueless in running a biz.

And there are tens-of-thousands of other millionaire business men and captains of industry who are Dems as well. (Google it if you want.)

The Unions came along at a time when they were drastically needed in America; working men and women had virtually no rights and were oft-times basically living a slave-type existence. Many of them wouldnot even be comnpensated if they were injured on the job. Unions helped build America. Sure, there has been corruption, but that comes in any type of inustry or business where there is vast amounts of money involved.

And as far as using the term "the Left"-- it is so ambiguous and groundless that I cannot even address it. There is really no such thing; it is not a monolithic, definable entity. Many, many business men are Independents and vote the issue, not the candidate, and thus sometimes vote for what you would call "lefty" candidated. I myself am included in this demographic. But, again, look-up "liberal successful businessmen in American" on the Net and begin to have a clue.

You should go see if your local community college has a Political Science 101 course; or maybe a basic civics class.

Oh, and to the little cancer princess girl who thought it funny that no Dems responded to the OP?

I'm here, kid, and any time you want to argue politics let me know. We can debate any topic you wish and let the CDers decide the winner.

Peace.

Last edited by DrummerBoy; 09-04-2011 at 10:42 AM..

Old 09-04-2011, 10:33 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,651,130 times
I know Steve Jobs is a democrat. I already knew that.

I also realize that unions were needed to give workers rights and better working conditions. However, like everything else, they got corrupted as time went by. Sure, workers have better pay, better working conditions, breaks, etc., but because unions have made more demands, they're part of the reason that companies are hiring overseas.

Btw did you follow me from the relationship forum?

Old 09-04-2011, 10:35 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,702,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What's ironic is if these companies did as Mr. Hoffa suggests much of the investment would still bypass union dominated states.

Union chief calls Apple 'unpatriotic' for not hiring more workers - TheHill.com
Actually, if the Boeing/South Carolina debacle is any indicator, the NLRB would not let them manufacture anywhere that's right-to-work.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:44 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,918,474 times
Its just the I want some of yours attitude. By the same token he probably see government spending what it doesn't have a patriotic too.By the same token in the senate committtee meeting unions killed anythig to do with bnefits paid by empoyer being counted as income. They also made sure that their memebers have no chocie to actually go to polos if cheaper than their contracted insurance.Of course they see nothing wrong with the GM/Chrysler story of milking the cow dry by unions regardless of the companies condition or unions being put ahead of other bondholders including other pension funds in the GM and chrysler forced bankrupsy terms.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:54 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,382,426 times
How much does Mr Hoffa have in his checking account. What about the union?

Old 09-04-2011, 03:12 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,189,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Jim Hoffa denounces Apple as unpatriotic for having $70+ Billion in its checking account
Hoffa is as dumb as they come.

If they stock market were to crash, or if Apple's stocks nose-dived for any reason, it would be possible for a corporate raider, a foreign corporation or other party to force a hostile take-over or leveraged buyout.

The result would most likely be the loss of jobs.

By keep cold hard cash on hand, Apple can fend off any potential hostile take-over. The way Apple would do that is in part by buying its own stock, driving the price up and preventing a hostile take-over and the loss of jobs.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:47 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,651,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
I know Steve Jobs is a democrat. I already knew that. But it's now irrelevant since he announced that he's stepping down as CEO of Apple.

I also realize that unions were needed to give workers rights and better working conditions. However, like everything else, they got corrupted as time went by. Sure, workers have better pay, better working conditions, breaks, etc., but because unions have made more demands, they're part of the reason that companies are hiring overseas.

Btw did you follow me from the relationship forum?
I added something

Old 09-04-2011, 08:35 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,996,581 times
Apple is actually a "Chinese" compnay because virtually all of its products including iPhone, iPad and iPod the are manufactured there. Even the high tech displays and high tech electronics are made by subcontractors in China or Taiwan like Foxcomm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies