Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:47 AM

545 posts, read 400,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post

so you found some info on America having "issues"....well, no surprise there and that's nice and all, but this is about Europe, the place that is suppose to be better then America, ....you know the "enlighten happiest place in the world" because it doesn't have those problems America does... at least that is what I am always being told by the left
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 08:50 AM

545 posts, read 400,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Because I would bet that those "societal functions" are a big cause of it.

impossible, those "societal functions" are suppose to make them "happy"....come on, you had to have heard that one?...that the reason they are sooooo "happy" over there is because of all that welfare..I hate that talking point...

Old 09-06-2011, 08:51 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,238,152 times
Quote:
Off topic. Sorry that it hurt you to read something about a group of countries that you wish the US was like.
No, it's not off-topic, because you are trying to portray Europe in a lesser light than the USA, without acknowledging the situation is similar or worse here.

If you say things aren't better in Europe, at least be honest about what you're comparing Europe to.

Sorry the truth hurt you.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:53 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,238,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
so you found some info on America having "issues"....well, no surprise there and that's nice and all, but this is about Europe, the place that is suppose to be better then America, ....you know the "enlighten happiest place in the world" because it doesn't have those problems America does... at least that is what I am always being told by the left
Missing the point. The links show that if, as the OP contends, Europe isn't "better" in this regard, it is no worse than the USA.

And it's a straw man argument to claim that liberals say Europe is trouble-free.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:54 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,857,105 times
Quote:
Because I would bet that those "societal functions" are a big cause of it.
Then what do you make of this?

September 5, 2011 6:10 PM EDT
Quote:
Nearly half of Americans will develop at least one mental illness during their lifetime, according to a recently published report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Quote:
About one in four Americans are currently suffering from mental illness, and the hardest hit are those living in the Southeast. Mississippi has the highest rate of depression among all the U.S. states, with 13.7 percent diagnosed. Over nine percent of Tennessee residents suffer from some form of serious psychological distress, which can often lead to suicide.
Southerners More Likely to Suffer From Mental Illness: REPORT

Old 09-06-2011, 08:56 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,201,546 times
America still leads the world in consumption of drugs for anxiety and depression. I wonder where the US stands on alcoholism?

Old 09-06-2011, 08:57 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,471,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
No, it's not off-topic, because you are trying to portray Europe in a lesser light than the USA, without acknowledging the situation is similar or worse here.

If you say things aren't better in Europe, at least be honest about what you're comparing Europe to.

Sorry the truth hurt you.
Still off topic. I wasn't making a comparison, I was making a point to show all you Europe lovers, that they have the same problems we do. It hit a sore spot I see.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:59 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,471,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
America still leads the world in consumption of drugs for anxiety and depression. I wonder where the US stands on alcoholism?
I'm sure many European countries beat us by a mile in alcoholism. It's tradition in a few. As far as your consumption statement, that's the problem in Europe, only 1/3 are being treated and afforded medication. I'd rather be in the US getting the treatment instead of in Europe thinking about killing myself.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:59 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,165,287 times
There was a time, not so long ago, where people valued experiencing emotions. People routinely were anxious, bored, stressed, angry, worried, and a host of other feelings that created a rich canvas of humanity.

Now days, however, it is mental illness if you are worried, anxious, stressed, depressed, bored, or angry.

Today, the everyone is supposed to feel the same all the time, which is usually dull, anesthetized, unfeeling.

Because cold, dull, anesthetized, unfeeling people never ask questions of their government. And they never protest. They just go along, watching television, going to work, going shopping, eating at McDonalds.

Drug companies have effectively pumped billions of dollars worth of medication into humanity to keep them from even caring. I'm sure the leaders of Europe would love to do the same thing.

I'll keep my mental illnesses, thank you.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-06-2011, 09:01 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,857,105 times
Quote:
Still off topic. I wasn't making a comparison, I was making a point to show all you Europe lovers, that they have the same problems we do. It hit a sore spot I see.
Well the US is certainly no better, but even worse off, than Europe. So what exactly is your point again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies