Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 04:14 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times

Advertisements

Australia, South Africa, Japan, Sweden and New Zealand have already lifted their bans on gays donating blood.

However the United States and Canada are still enforcing the ban.

Britain to lift ban on gay men donating blood | News Blog from 365gay.com

Gay Blood Donors: Homosexual Men Will Be Able To Donate Blood As Restrictions Are Lifted In The UK | UK News | Sky News

Global News | U.K. announces partial lifting of blood donation ban on gay men - is Canada next?

Nurses back lifting of gay blood donation ban - PinkNews.co.uk

UK expected to lift lifetime ban on gay blood donation later today - PinkNews.co.uk

Britain To Lift Gay Men Blood Donation Ban

CBC News - Canada weighs lifting blood donor ban for gay men

Britain to lift ban on gay men donating blood - Health - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44439157/ns/health/ - broken link)

UK Overturns Ban On Gay Blood Donors (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/uk-overturns-ban-on-gay-blood-donors-20110908-ncx - broken link)

Ban On Gay Blood Donors Set To Be Lifted - Yahoo!

Now the blood supply will be more robust and more lives can be saved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 04:17 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Definitely a step in the right direction.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:24 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Of all gay men, how many are HIV positive? Numbers I have read say around 46%.

This source:

The Rainbow Times | The Freshest LGBT News in New England (http://therainbowtimesmass.com/2011/09062011/hiv.html - broken link)

If this is in fact true, then it is a reasonable means of restricting such donation. I mean, if just less than 1/2 of all gay men are HIV positive, don't you think the risk is a bit too much? Or should we let political ideology dictate safety? If not, well... don't complain if it turns bad.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:25 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
How in the hell did we monitor something like that.

Are you gay?

No.

Ok, Stab, glug, glug, glug.

Lets have a parade for repealing some stupid law no one could enforce.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:38 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Definitely a step in the right direction.
why? Is the ability to give blood a basic human right?

Old 09-08-2011, 04:45 PM

329 posts, read 267,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Of all gay men, how many are HIV positive? Numbers I have read say around 46%.

This source:

The Rainbow Times | The Freshest LGBT News in New England (http://therainbowtimesmass.com/2011/09062011/hiv.html - broken link)

If this is in fact true, then it is a reasonable means of restricting such donation. I mean, if just less than 1/2 of all gay men are HIV positive, don't you think the risk is a bit too much? Or should we let political ideology dictate safety? If not, well... don't complain if it turns bad.

You what? Nowhere does it say that 46% of gay men are HIV positive. it talks about the percentage of new diagnoses.

"The rate of HIV infections remains disproportionately high among gay and bisexual men in New England.

According to the Rhode Island Department of Health, there were 54 new cases in the men having sex with men (MSM) population in 2010. That figure represents 51percent of the total of infections. That number has been steadily increasing within the past five years. In 2009, there were 59 cases of HIV infection among gay and bisexual men. The percentage for that year was 47. In 2008, the percentage was 41.

Similar findings have been reported in neighboring states. In Connecticut, 46 percent of HIV/AIDS diagnoses in 2009 were gay and bisexual men. Of that total, 67 percent were white men. 34 percent were black..."

Old 09-08-2011, 04:54 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Blood banks today are quite adept at screening "blood" so if somebody who has HIV/Aids it will be detected & the donor will be informed. It's simply ridiculous to deny a certain segment of society to donate based on a stereotype.
As for the 46% of Gays being infected? Does that number only include those who identify themeselves as "Gay"? How about the tons of bi sexuals who don't "Identify"?

Old 09-08-2011, 04:59 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Hey if their blood is clean of pathogens and things that can hurt me, then I'm ok with it. Pump me full if I need it because I'm going to die without it.

I don't care if the donor is black, white, gay, straight, man, woman, or Chaz Bono. If I need blood, and they match, and its clean, I'll take it.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:57 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboblocke View Post
You what? Nowhere does it say that 46% of gay men are HIV positive. it talks about the percentage of new diagnoses.

"The rate of HIV infections remains disproportionately high among gay and bisexual men in New England.

According to the Rhode Island Department of Health, there were 54 new cases in the men having sex with men (MSM) population in 2010. That figure represents 51percent of the total of infections. That number has been steadily increasing within the past five years. In 2009, there were 59 cases of HIV infection among gay and bisexual men. The percentage for that year was 47. In 2008, the percentage was 41.

Similar findings have been reported in neighboring states. In Connecticut, 46 percent of HIV/AIDS diagnoses in 2009 were gay and bisexual men. Of that total, 67 percent were white men. 34 percent were black..."
Amazing how wearing anti-gay blinders affects someone's ability to actually read an article honestly isn't it?

Let's use Nomander's "logic" and apply it to him:

If 100% of men who rape women are straight, that means 100% of ALL straight men are rapists. Ergo, if Nomander is a straight man, he must be a rapist.
See how that works? (or doesn't)

Old 09-08-2011, 05:59 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
why?
More blood available for transfusions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies