Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 03:02 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
They should give him exactly what he wants, and when it fails, it's all on him. He'll have no choice but to take ownership for absolutely nothing.
Didn't we already give him everything he wanted for the first two years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It was not the "worst recession since the depression." Your economy hiccuped a mere 3.3% It isn't like you lost 25% of your GDP or something.

In any event, his actions, and lack of actions only made things worse, and he's leaving the next president and your future in very bad shape.
Yep, those were 0bama's words shortly after he was sworn in, "This is the worst economy since the Great Depression". Now that the economy has only gotten much, much worse since then, this economy must now be as bad as, or worse then the Great Depression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 06:02 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Then how can you explain why this president keeps going back to the same failed policies, time and time again?
Which specific policies of Obama's failed? How did they fail?

I'm not necessarily convinced that his policies have "failed". The GDP has actually grown during the majority of Obama's term in office. In fact, after contracting nearly 7 percent in December and January of 2009, the economic decline slowed sharply and by mid year 2009 we had economic growth again, and we've had economic growth ever since that time.

Technically speaking, that's not a failure, especially in light of the fact that he came in at a time when the economy was shedding about 600,000 jobs a month in December of 2008 and 700,000 in January 2009, the month he took office. Obama passed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act in February in 2009, an act which immediately put Americans back to work. Again, at the end of April 2011, we had jobs added to the economy in 13 of the previous 18 months. In the most recent month, non-farm private sector payrolls remained relatively unchanged. I don't know if I would call that a grand slam success, but I wouldn't call it a failure, and in light of the disaster that he took over, I think it's a moral victory.

I know you're just itching to see him fail, though, but I guess I'm just wondering why? What do you personally get out of it by seeing a center-left pragmatist president fail? Lower taxes? Okay, I get that. But how much lower do you think they're going to be lowered? They've already been lowered quite a bit at the fed level, my friend. And what does it matter if taxes are lowered, really? Taxes have been lowered and now we have the worst economy in decades. Taxes increase as individuals become more economically successful, not to prevent them from being successful.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:17 PM

27,143 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Defense of Obama using words such as "technically speaking" is not a strong defense at all.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:25 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
I am also, in general, disppointed in the President----lack of leadership, direction, focus, and purpose.

That being said, to be fair, the man inherited one pile of doggie d when he came into office. The international financial system bordered on the verge of a meltdown----the housing bubble collapsed----markets crashed----unemployment skyrocketed----and the worst recession since the depression ensued. Yes, although I am upset with Obama, all this happened under the guidance and control of a Republican administration.

This useless bickering needs to stop. I agree we cant spend our way out of every crisis------but rather than denigrate and castigate every effort to put people back to work remember-----how this crisis happenned and when it happenned.

There needs to be a point when we get back to the central objective of what is good for the country---not just good for the party. I get the sick feeling a lot of you feel that point will come about solely when Obama is defeated----and in the interim if another massive recession occurs and another million or two lose their jobs so be it-----this is just plain sad.
I dont look at it like he inherited it. He's part of the reason its there. He was one of the many voting for the stuff to pass. Just as McCain is part of the problem with the TARP thing too.

As Americans, we have to learn to live within our means. What I dont understand is how the Gov't cant do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies