Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 04:02 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,562,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Agree & disagree.
I've hired many of the top law firms in the world over the past 30 years, and whether I'd hire a Harvard or similar school grad, or prefer a grad from a lower tier law school would depend on the nature of the job. If I wanted someone to be involved in basic litigation (Thus Charts & Graphs), I'd definitely prefer a second or third tier grad. I believe Harvard is great for preparing law professors, judges, etc., but to have someone in court to argue a case to a trial judge and a jury, a Harvard pedigree is probably a disadvantage.
If however, this was a major antitrust or complex economic case, and it was unlikely any jury would ever hear the case, I'd go with the Harvard person, all other things being equal.

One time I hired a Harvard Law grad to do commercial litigation. He was AWFUL!!!! Ended up hiring a MN Law grad to fix the damage this guy did. The Harvard guy ended up a Judge I believe, and I recall his politics were far to the right of almost any Conservative I've encountered. I can recall how he thought Reagan was a Liberal!

Agree with your view that a President of the Harvard Law Degree does not need to tell anyone what his grades are - that position makes him among the best & brightest, if not THE brightest, of the students in law school at that point in time.
Sure, makes a lot of sense but I'm not looking at this from the retainer/engagement perspective, but what type of candidates get hired by biglaw and get most of the prestigous public sector legal jobs. We just have our junior associates (or contract attorneys) deal with the charts & graphs or other grunt work to save the client money...anyway, I was just saying that Ivy League (or the almost-Ivy League tier like Northwestern, Georgetown, NYU, etc.) usually have a much better career path than grads on the next tier down. I rarely see the firm hire anyone who didn't go to one of the top let's say 30 or so law schools in the country. This is all a digression though...the bottom line is that Obama clearly had an outstanding academic career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 04:05 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,700,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Rick Perry graduated from Texas A&M in 1972 with a 2.2 GPA. He graduated with a bachelor's degree in Animal Science. There are 2 A's, 19 B's, 27 C's, and 8 D's. And one of those D's is in Principles of Economics.

Daily Kos: Rick Perry's college grades released.
Was is laziness or lack of intelligence? Sometimes even the lazy ace their grades if they are smart enough. I would like to hear Perry explain this.

Why do I get a feeling he worked his butt off, but only managed C's and D's.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-10-2011 at 04:27 PM..

Old 09-10-2011, 04:06 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,944,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
Didn't work? Are you one of the "voters" who voted Bush in because he seemed like a president you could enjoy a beer with? I honestly think any presidential candidate looking to run our country needs to show some kind of smarts. This shows mediocrity. You couldn't get into any kind of decent internship with those grades.
Let me ask you. Are you the same man you were 30 years ago? Do we not grow as we mature? Is the measure of a man or woman based on what we accomplish to the age of 23 and then everything we accomplish beyond that insignificant? I'm not a supporter of governor Perry at this time, but I can honestly say that I would vote for him over the current resident of the White House without batting an eye. I have worked around some of the "best and brightest" and not all of them have performed so well in the real world while I have seen some who struggled (or partied) in school, go on to achieve greatness. I really don't think the measure should be who you were in your twenties, but from that what have you grown into.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:13 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,986,888 times
Trust me, I'm not a fan of that big government globalist Rick Perry, but come on, who cares about college? I refuse to believe the actions of an 18-22 year old should dictate the rest of their life.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
He's the poster child for education in the U.S. He'd make a great president!!
According to many on CD, he's over-educated. Many people on this forum think college is unnecessary if you have "common sense".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Rick Perry's grades in college far outstrip Obama's grades in office.
Point being?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
And most of the Obama lovers are just takers and don't give back a thing. Your point is? At least perry probably got his grades honestly by not cheating, which is something that Obama can't say at all.
This has already been addressed, but what evidence do you have to support this statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
Since Obama has hid his grades and info about his records it shows that he is the one who has much to hide. The libs have nothing except to start trouble, violence and LIE like they are in this thread. They are losers and have nothing except to go after someone they know nothing about. They didn't care about Obama, even though it had been proven that Obama hung around terrorists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Hmmmm obamas are so bad he wont release them at all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Well compared to obummer....ooops that's right.....we don't know because the liar and loser in chief will not release his transcripts. Kinda like his birth certificate. Demwits are extremely pathetic.
Re: the three above posts-All of you are most certainly aware that
a. Perry's transcripts were leaked; he did not "release" them
b. Obama has not "hidden" his transcripts; they are protected by the same privacy laws that protect yours and mine (assuming some of you went ot college)

Quote:
Hmmmm

When he was at Columbia he did not do well enough to justify admission into Harvard Law. He had a major in Political Science I believe and no honors. In a relatively easy major like political science he would have had to under perform to avoid minimal honors. He avoids talking about this maybe because of his association with Bill Ayers as he was attending the Bank street college of Ed.

Khalid al-Mansour is how obama got into Harvard.

he is supposedly an attorney for Bill Ayers group the Weather Underground as well as the Black Panthers
You know this how? Note use of word "supposedly".

Old 09-10-2011, 07:02 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,214,723 times
Quote:
Rick Perry graduated from Texas A&M in 1972 with a 2.2 GPA. He graduated with a bachelor's degree in Animal Science. There are 2 A's, 19 B's, 27 C's, and 8 D's. And one of those D's is in Principles of Economics.

Please tell me why this is important??
who really gives a rats butt what his scores are?
I am sick of it just like I am sick of the ones that yell that we have not seen Obama's
I do not need to see Obama's scores, I know he is a hack~
I do not need to see Perry's to know if he is on the ticket, he has my vote
let it go....please

Old 09-10-2011, 07:15 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,463,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
According to many on CD, he's over-educated. Many people on this forum think college is unnecessary if you have "common sense".

Point being?

This has already been addressed, but what evidence do you have to support this statement?

Re: the three above posts-All of you are most certainly aware that
a. Perry's transcripts were leaked; he did not "release" them
b. Obama has not "hidden" his transcripts; they are protected by the same privacy laws that protect yours and mine (assuming some of you went ot college)

You know this how? Note use of word "supposedly".
Google it! You would be surprised what is out there if you only look.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:16 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,354,659 times
Perry, schmerry. The performance of the A-student we've got in place needs to be crtically examined -- not how much he impressed some college prof thirty years ago.

If Obama's brilliance is reflected in the state of the nation's economy, maybe brilliance needs to be rejected in favor of something else. We need a change in the direction this country is headed. Anyone who denies that is either willfully ignorant, or culturally suicidal.

For Obama, Halloween has come early. And he's wearing a Jimmy Carter costume.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Google it! You would be surprised what is out there if you only look.
In other words, you have no evidence. As I suspected.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:09 PM

30,087 posts, read 18,701,618 times
Quote:

Great! Let's see Obama's transcript now.

Keep in mind that the two presidents with the highest IQs in the 20th century were Nixon and Carter. No one will ever know about Obama's IQ or college GPA, as it will never be released. It is a part of the Obama "transparency" promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies