Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 01:29 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
So, my friend, let's see what the Congress can do to work TOGETHER for the benefit of the American people -- and not just their deep-pocketed lobbyists and special interest groups.
I can't believe there are still people who think our government exists to serve the American people.

Everything our government does proves the exact opposite. Big Government serves Big Business--specifically, the ultra-rich who own/run Big Business.

If you want a change, vote Libertarian, though I doubt you'll get much chance to do so considering the total lock the powers-that-be have on our political system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 01:37 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Heard Debbie Wasserman-whatever on the news this am. I got SO excited when she said they were going to force people to pay their "fair share" in taxes. Then continued to spew the same-old "tax the rich" crap.

When will be finally have people pay their "fair share"? You know, those half of americans that pay NO TAX.
Well, they're only paying one "fair share" now. They have to pay another "fair share" so we can have a "balanced" deficit reduction plan. Then they have to pay another "fair share" to pay for obama's new spending programs. Fortunately there's no end to the number of "fair shares" the libs have at their disposal to achieve their agenda...

Old 09-12-2011, 01:42 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Don't let the article headline fool you. The funding mechanism is TAX INCREASES, not "savings" or cuts in other government spending (come on, Obama couldn't cut government spending if his life depended on it): "The primary piece would be to limit itemized deductions for individuals making over $200,000-a-year and families making over $250,000 -- which Lew said would raise $400 billion over 10 years. Another pay-for would be to treat carried interest as ordinary income rather than capital gains, which Lew said would raise $18 billion." White House Outlines $467 Billion In Savings To Pay For Jobs Act

So the primary funding mechanism would raise $400 billion--but over a 10 year period. That's only $40 billion a year (at Obama's always ridiculously optimistic estimates), while price tag of this "jobs bills" is half a trillion spent NOW. When all is said and done, either the debt skyrockets even faster (complete with interest), or the feds will be looking for MORE tax increases on the only people it can squeeze for money: the working Middle Class.

Yes, I'll appreciate the tiny reduction in payroll tax. But guaranteed it will be offset by a huge tax increase I won't even see until the CPA and I start working on the equivalent of a luxury-SUV my family sends to Washington each year. Too bad we can only afford 10-year old, 100,000 mile vehicles that now have constant repairs, to drive ourselves to work.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:57 PM
C.C

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Don't let the article headline fool you. The funding mechanism is TAX INCREASES, not "savings" or cuts in other government spending (come on, Obama couldn't cut government spending if his life depended on it): "The primary piece would be to limit itemized deductions for individuals making over $200,000-a-year and families making over $250,000 -- which Lew said would raise $400 billion over 10 years. Another pay-for would be to treat carried interest as ordinary income rather than capital gains, which Lew said would raise $18 billion." White House Outlines $467 Billion In Savings To Pay For Jobs Act

So the primary funding mechanism would raise $400 billion--but over a 10 year period. That's only $40 billion a year (at Obama's always ridiculously optimistic estimates), while price tag of this "jobs bills" is half a trillion spent NOW. When all is said and done, either the debt skyrockets even faster (complete with interest), or the feds will be looking for MORE tax increases on the only people it can squeeze for money: the working Middle Class.

Yes, I'll appreciate the tiny reduction in payroll tax. But guaranteed it will be offset by a huge tax increase I won't even see until the CPA and I start working on the equivalent of a luxury-SUV my family sends to Washington each year. Too bad we can only afford 10-year old, 100,000 mile vehicles that now have constant repairs, to drive ourselves to work.
So let me get this straight - you have an actual job, but you don't want to give your money to people who would rather sit around in their underwear drinking beer and playing video games??? What kind of mean-spirited bastard are you???

Old 09-12-2011, 03:51 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
The absolutely clueless obama PAYS for his 2nd stimulus, AKA the AJA, with tax hikes.

Obama Seeks to End Tax Breaks to Pay for Jobs Plan - WSJ.com

Quote:
WASHINGTON—President Barack Obama would pay for his $447 billion jobs plan by ending a series of tax breaks for oil and gas companies, hedge-fund managers and people making more than $200,000, the White House said Monday.

In total, Mr. Obama's plan would end about $467 billion of tax breaks over 10 years, said White House Office of Management and Budget Director Jack Lew. The president has previously proposed ending the tax breaks, but has faced stiff resistance from Republicans.
When will he learn his lesson?

Of course, the GOP says no, which is probably what obama was hoping for.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...bill-spending/

Quote:
"Anything that is akin to the stimulus bill is not going to be acceptable to the American people," House Majority Leader Eric Cantor said.

The number-two House Republican argued that the 2009 stimulus that aimed money at boosting public sector jobs didn't work and instead the GOP wants to target aid to small businesses.

"I sure hope that the president is not suggesting that we pay for his proposals with a massive tax increase at the end of 2012 on the job creators that we're actually counting on to reduce unemployment," Cantor said at his weekly session with reporters on Capitol Hill Monday.
Of course he is. He can't seem to swallow that he extended the Bush tax rates in Dec of 2010. Live with it champ.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:55 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The absolutely clueless obama PAYS for his 2nd stimulus, AKA the AJA, with tax hikes.

Obama is doing just what he wants to do.

Grow the federal government.

Make people more dependent on the government.

Remember......"fundamentally change".

Old 09-12-2011, 03:58 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
I am shocked, shocked I tell you!

After proposing that his jobs bill would encompass reducing taxes as a method to stimulate jobs and the economy, 0-bama has come out and actually proposed paying for his boondoggle by actually raising taxes.

Back to his primary purpose...raising taxes.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:30 PM
C.C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Of course, the GOP says no, which is probably what obama was hoping for.

Cantor says no to jobs bill spending – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Of course he is. He can't seem to swallow that he extended the Bush tax rates in Dec of 2010. Live with it champ.
The repubs have lots of options.

First, it remains to be seen whether the public even takes the proposal seriously. Obama can't possibly sell a package so similar to the first stimulus without first somehow overcoming the public's negative perception of the first stimulus. He's been trying to do that for 2 1/2 years and has so far failed miserably.

Second, the repubs on the deficit committee could co-opt the tax increases for their $1.5T, forcing obama to come up with actual spending cuts to pay for his new boondoggle.

Third, the repubs could reasonably demand near-term offsets rather than obama's distant-future ones.

Fourth, repubs could pass all or part of the spending, but pay for it with offsets obama can't swallow - maybe some obamacare de-funding.

Fifth, repubs could pass all or part of it, but with triggers and other provisions to minimize the damage.

Sixth, we've had 3 years of 99-week UE benefits, and the public is getting fed up. There's no way repubs or the public want the 99-week UE extended through 12/2012 this early. The public would easily go for a cut to 52 weeks, with phase-out as soon as the UE rate drops to a certain level. The irresponsibility of saying in 09/2011 that 99 weeks will definitely be needed for another 15+ months is clear to everyone. Not to mention that it's a pure "plan to fail" provision - if this plan is so great, why would we still need 99 weeks a year from now?

Old 09-12-2011, 05:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
And you know that money will go to friends and family first don't you ?

Old 09-12-2011, 05:48 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

GOP: Raise Taxes On Elderly, Disabled & Cut Corporate Rates - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies