Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:04 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,199,324 times

Advertisements

Not politicians, but individuals. For example, if you're a social and fiscal conservative, how do you view social and fiscal liberals (I know, it's all encompassing, but it's just an example)?

Do you see your counterpart as less American than you? Do you feel the difference in values is an actual threat to America?

I think we essentially want the same thing (I would hope), but just want to go about it in different ways. But some people think anyone that doesn't follow their way is wrong, or unamerican etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 08:06 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
I don't think liberals have souls.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:10 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Not politicians, but individuals. For example, if you're a social and fiscal conservative, how do you view social and fiscal liberals (I know, it's all encompassing, but it's just an example)?

Do you see your counterpart as less American than you? Do you feel the difference in values is an actual threat to America?

I think we essentially want the same thing (I would hope), but just want to go about it in different ways. But some people think anyone that doesn't follow their way is wrong, or unamerican etc.
Unamerican???

No sure...

I do see anyone one wanting to take my money as the enemy.

I also see them as foolish cause that ain't gon'a happen.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:16 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times
"Unrealistic" comes to mind in that liberals all too often have little tolerance for those who do not share their views on hot button issues, such as gay marriage and what constitutes "racism".

Old 09-12-2011, 08:20 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,879,148 times
Quote:

I actually am much less caustic in person
and have a high degree of empathy (I know most of you don't believe this)

I can interact in most circles and usually can understand the point of the person I'm interacting with. Sometimes I think the worst disagreements arise when we operate from conflicting axioms without recognizing this difference.

People completely do not understand how another can say, think, believe as they do because they don't understand that the other persons "self evident truths" they operate from are different than their own.

Understanding does not necessarily equate to agreement.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:20 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,057,446 times
No, I do not view social conservatives as less patriotic than I am, and I would hope they would return the sentiment.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:34 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:

I am most conservative, in that I do not want the federal government to be given the power to run my life for me, and controlling every single, solitary thing in my life, and making all my choices for me.

I don't see liberals as unAmerican, I just think they are perpetually worried and wringing their hands, because they see life as complicated, and they do not trust people to be able to decide what is best for them on their own. They believe if we empower government with limitless power, then government can decide what is in our best interest, and then we can all live in a world, that is as close to perfect as possible.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:37 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
The only people I see as less American are those on the left who have a soft spot for one-world government (what's wrong with one government?) or a North American Union.

Everyone else that I politically disagree with I consider to be asleep or people in a zombie-like state, not an enemy.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:37 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,389,799 times
I view liberals as naive leeches.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:39 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
I don't care about the politics of others. I generally mind my own business, and i don't discuss my politics with other people unless they insist on knowing. Even then, i keep most of my views close to the vest. In fact, i don't even discuss politics with my wife if i can help it. Even after 23 years, i don't really know where she stands on a lot of issues....and i really don't care to know.

I don't judge people by their politics at all. I'd prefer NOT to know their politics if possible. I do have to admit that a lot of people that i've met who are super right wing conservatives have been jerks, but then, in the field i presently work in, most people happen to be politically to the right so it's probably not fair to generalize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies