Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:44 AM

38,133 posts, read 22,253,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I don't think liberals have souls.
They would if government mandated that they have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 08:46 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,834,841 times
Brainwashed. They simply repeat whatever fox news and the other right wing outlets program them to think/say. They don't think for themselves. It doesn't matter what is told to them, no matter how distorted or a flat out lie, they will believe it no matter what. There seems to be a very strong following to the GOP and especially the tea party from the most uneducated and easily mislead in this nation.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:55 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,067,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't care about the politics of others. I generally mind my own business, and i don't discuss my politics with other people unless they insist on knowing. Even then, i keep most of my views close to the vest. In fact, i don't even discuss politics with my wife if i can help it. Even after 23 years, i don't really know where she stands on a lot of issues....and i really don't care to know.
I can't even begin to imagine not knowing how my spouse feels about social and political issues. A good portion of our dating was spent talking and sometimes arguing about such things. We are both very opinionated, and I think both of us found that quality attractive in each other. There's nothing like a good fight to keep the spark alive in a marriage, as long as its done in a spirit of love and mutual respect.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:57 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,482,706 times
I view people on the "other" side of the spectrum as Americans just like me. Just because they have differing opinions in what I believe doesn't make them any less or more American than me. That is a part of what makes America great.

Yes, racists, homophobes, atheist, religious nuts, rwnjs, lwnjs, Ron Paul groupies and everything in between are all true Americans to me even though I have disdain for their general views about things. Hell, I'll defend each and every one of them if I were in a different country and they were talking mess about them.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:58 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,108,965 times
For the longest time, I used to consider conservatives as misguided and not having complete or whole story information. I viewed them as fellow American's, with base values and concerns as the rest of America with just a different starting point on how to get to those results that we all wanted as American's.

There are several points where conservatives (nationally) and I will agree tangentially (e.g. I am a liberal Texan, which in some parts of "liberal-land" is still ultra conservative), however for the most part I don't trust them. I despise their base viewpoints and their values for America as they have been exposed in the last 15 years. Some I question their patriotism and their actual allegiance to the Constitution and the United States of America.

Lately in the last 3 years, I have for the most part (which is sad, and endemic of what America is experiencing) cut them out of my life and that of my family.

In short. I don't trust them or those who associate with them. I label them AINO's - American's in Name Only.

But here's the great thing. They're still American's and still despite their attempts to destroy the country are protected by the Constitution and it's law's derived from it. And I will defend THAT, until the day I die.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:59 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,335,950 times
As a general tendency, conservatives see liberals as wrong headed. Liberals see conservatives as Eevull.

As a right-of-center libertarian type, I see liberals as much more emotional than rational. That said, I believe libs and conservatives want pretty much the same things for their country but differ on the preferred means of getting them.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:01 AM

24,051 posts, read 15,161,142 times
As people with a different point of view.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:03 AM

38,133 posts, read 22,253,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Brainwashed. They simply repeat whatever fox news and the other right wing outlets program them to think/say. They don't think for themselves. It doesn't matter what is told to them, no matter how distorted or a flat out lie, they will believe it no matter what. There seems to be a very strong following to the GOP and especially the tea party from the most uneducated and easily mislead in this nation.
Just because a person arrives at a different viewpoint on an issue then you did, does not mean they don't think for themselves.

Lets look at an example. A person does not need Fox News or Limbaugh to influence their conclusion that the idea of the federal government controlling a universal health care system would involve just as much fraud, waste and abuse as in other federally run programs.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:05 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,279,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I can't even begin to imagine not knowing how my spouse feels about social and political issues. A good portion of our dating was spent talking and sometimes arguing about such things. We are both very opinionated, and I think both of us found that quality attractive in each other. There's nothing like a good fight to keep the spark alive in a marriage, as long as its done in a spirit of love and mutual respect.
Politics is one topic, which means that there are a bazillion other topics to discuss. I know enough to know that she's a good person regardless of her political views. She's apolitical for the most part anyway although she does vote and has a fairly good grasp of issues.

Besides, i don't really like arguing....especially with my own wife. If i wanna argue about politics, i can come to C-D or a host of other sites to do that. At home, i want peace. I hate people who are obsessed with politics 24/7.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:08 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,254,539 times
People with different political viewpoints are just as American as me. There is no problem if you mind your own business. Don't worry whether I pray or not. I have no problem as long as I'm treated respectfully. I will do the same for you. If someone does not treat me respectufully that is what you will receive from me unless I choose to ignore you. And I do defend those who may have less than me in some way. I do not tolerate, nor have I ever tolerated bullies. I see lots of loud mouthed, (limbaugh style) bullies from the right, but I not one of those passive liberals. I can tango pretty well.

I don't like the government in my life.

Someone mentioned the government 'taking their money'. There is always somebody with their hands in your pocket trying to take your money. In a capitalistic economy like the one in America there is always someone trying to cheat you out of your money in exchange for a product that does not perform as promised. Almost always the product does not live up to the claims in the advertisements. That's American capitalism!! Ever watched any of the paid advertisements on weekend mornings? That is a good example.

Ever bought a car? That is an industry where it has become standard practice to outright lie, coerce, and cheat people. It's so common that we have simply accepted it as standard. So, it isn't always the 'government' who has their hands in your pocket. Most of the time, it's the private industry that is trying to part you with your money.

Last edited by Ecovlke; 09-12-2011 at 10:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies