Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 12:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,885,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
Well, it does matter because there is a difference between the two.

I'm not disputing the fact that the man was perfectly within his rights to open carry but for christ sakes....$600,000 for a couple of skinned knees?

I will say again, he HAD to know that strolling down the street carrying a .45 would attract some attention and he got EXACTLY what he was looking for.
no more like $600,000 for violating the mans civil rights. if the guy was legally allowed to own a firearm, and there is no law against open carry, then why are the police even bothering the man? and even if they had a "concerned citizen" make a 911 call, the officers did not have to force the man to the ground at gun point to find out that he was a law abiding citizen exercising his constitutional rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Shocker!

Look who's advocating for the police state.

Give this a read sometime.

The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net
uhm, where was i advocating for a police state? what i was saying take all the people who claim the US is sime kind of heavy handed police state, and have them live in russia for a couple of years, and then come back home and note the differences. remember in russia there is NO freedom of speech, and NO right to keep and bear arms. instead of trying to spin what i say into your own fantasy, try some reading comprehension once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 12:15 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,142,088 times
He's not going to win a damn dime. Key words here- "He was in an area where there have been recent reports of suspicious activity", which encompasses just about 99.9% of American streets. Due process is as fable.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:22 PM

22 posts, read 11,043 times
Quote:
No it isn't!

It is enforcement of a law which doesn't exist anywhere except in the empty space between these cops ears.
Police have a responsibility to uphold the law.
I believe it is reasonable to interact and question people in the performance of this duty.
I'm not concerned the police responded to a call or calls and questioned this man concerning carrying a firearm -
I am concerned and saddened by how the police carried out this task and feel they may have violated his rights.

If the police respectfully requested the man's identification and ran a check on him to verify he did indeed have the constitutional right to carry a firearm - which is suspended in the case of felons or those convicted of other crimes related to domestic abuse, I would not have a problem with this.

I believe police in this country walk a fine line between duty and abuse but I place the majority of blame for this on our government and the training they receive.

I do not think the other posters comment is unreasonable.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:26 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,506,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
no more like $600,000 for violating the mans civil rights. if the guy was legally allowed to own a firearm, and there is no law against open carry, then why are the police even bothering the man? and even if they had a "concerned citizen" make a 911 call, the officers did not have to force the man to the ground at gun point to find out that he was a law abiding citizen exercising his constitutional rights.
Why were they bothering the guy? Really?

Seriously, where are you guys from that a person with a holstered .45 walks down the street on a regular occurance? I really want to know. I find it VERY hard to believe that all of you would just assume that someone carrying a gun down the street is just minding his own business.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,933,857 times
Bet this peaces source for the journalist was a lawyer .

Old 09-17-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Why were they bothering the guy? Really?

Seriously, where are you guys from that a person with a holstered .45 walks down the street on a regular occurance? I really want to know. I find it VERY hard to believe that all of you would just assume that someone carrying a gun down the street is just minding his own business.
well first ask yourself, if someone is carrying openly, is it more or less likely that they will commit a crime? it has already been shown from FBI statistics that criminals will conceal any weapons they have to gain the advantage of surprise, especially if they are NOT legally allowed to own a firearm.

here in arizona it used to be a regular occurrence that someone would open carry a firearm as it is legal here, as is concealed carry, AS LONG AS you are legally allowed to own a firearm.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:11 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,506,406 times
Quote:
well first ask yourself, if someone is carrying openly, is it more or less likely that they will commit a crime?
I haven't got the foggiest clue. Your question is impossible to answer. All I know is that there is a person in front of me with a gun on their hip that isn't a uniformed police officer. Their intentions, criminal or otherwise, will not be abundantly clear at the offset. In that case I am going to use common sense and assume that the person with the gun means to do harm to me or someone else.

It's like if I see a snake in the woods. I know some are non-venomous but upon inital discovery I am going to react as if it's a venomous one. You know that old saying....."Better safe than sorry"

Quote:
it has already been shown from FBI statistics that criminals will conceal any weapons they have to gain the advantage of surprise, especially if they are NOT legally allowed to own a firearm.
To use a term from my childhood....NO DUH. It's also completely possible that a rather wiley criminal will begin to open carry if it's widely know that open carriers are not "hassled by the man", as you and so many other have suggested need to take place.

Quote:
here in arizona it used to be a regular occurrence that someone would open carry a firearm as it is legal here, as is concealed carry, AS LONG AS you are legally allowed to own a firearm.
Use to be as in Old West times? Like when Billy the Kid roamed the streets?

Old 09-17-2011, 03:02 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,415,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshRox01 View Post
Police have a responsibility to uphold the law.
I believe it is reasonable to interact and question people in the performance of this duty.
I'm not concerned the police responded to a call or calls and questioned this man concerning carrying a firearm -
I am concerned and saddened by how the police carried out this task and feel they may have violated his rights.

If the police respectfully requested the man's identification and ran a check on him to verify he did indeed have the constitutional right to carry a firearm - which is suspended in the case of felons or those convicted of other crimes related to domestic abuse, I would not have a problem with this.

I believe police in this country walk a fine line between duty and abuse but I place the majority of blame for this on our government and the training they receive.

I do not think the other posters comment is unreasonable.

Police are not allowed to investigate crime without probable cause.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:06 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,962,174 times
Quote:
Police are not allowed to investigate crime without probable cause.
Not quite. They need probable cause to make an arrest. Reasonable Suspicion is enough to investigate.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I haven't got the foggiest clue. Your question is impossible to answer. All I know is that there is a person in front of me with a gun on their hip that isn't a uniformed police officer. Their intentions, criminal or otherwise, will not be abundantly clear at the offset. In that case I am going to use common sense and assume that the person with the gun means to do harm to me or someone else.
prejudiced in other areas of your life also?

Quote:
It's like if I see a snake in the woods. I know some are non-venomous but upon inital discovery I am going to react as if it's a venomous one. You know that old saying....."Better safe than sorry"
in other words rather than take the time to educate yourself, you would rather jump to conclusions regardless of the situation. gotcha.

Quote:
To use a term from my childhood....NO DUH. It's also completely possible that a rather wiley criminal will begin to open carry if it's widely know that open carriers are not "hassled by the man", as you and so many other have suggested need to take place.
really? you think that criminals will start to open carry their weapons, despite the fact that if they are caught illegally carrying a weapon, especially a firearm, that they are looking at 5 years in prison just for having the weapon? do you really think they are that stupid?

Quote:
Use to be as in Old West times? Like when Billy the Kid roamed the streets?
yeah, and as little as 15 years ago as well. try educating yourself instead of getting hysterical just because you see someone openly carrying a firearm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies