Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:40 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times

Advertisements

I was recently called to jury duty and selected for a panel, but didn't get picked for trial. Long story short, an artist was suing his client for breach of an oral contract. He supposedly provided paintings for this guy under the premise he was to receive tangible goods instead of monetary payment, but with no written record of it. Apparently something went south and the lawsuit took place, etc, etc. Not sure what the verdict was.

During the paneling a detailed discussion about this "artist lifestyle" came up between the attorney and one of the panel members. Painters, sculpters, musicians, photographers, interior/exterior designers and other 'artsy' freelance professionals many times work for tangible goods as payment, not money. (They also said this way of life has been around as long as history.)

I never thought about it much past that, but the discussion came up with an older gentleman and myself. His explanation was working for gifts with no written records instead of money was the way these folks can live high on the hog while evading income taxes. In essence they are collecting a tax-free income while collecting food stamps/govt money/welfare/benefits/etc. And 100% of them will vote liberal to push for better govt benefits for themselves + higher income taxes for everyone else.

So what do you think about this? Is there any truth to this 'mooching tax evader' claim? I couldn't refute it, but it seems to make sense. Being one of these ignorant engineering/math/construction mgmt type of guys I don't really know anything about it, but would love to know more. That is, if it's a topic open for discussion. You know how that goes sometimes......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 10:48 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
I think it's a stretch to assume these people are a) living high on the hog, b) deliberately choosing to evade taxes, and c) liberals hellbent on screwing everybody else by pushing for more freebies.

Seems to me the motivation here is to find another group of people to demonize because they might possibly have found a way to surpass a level of greed and selfishness not imagined before.

Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with bartering services but I seriously doubt there are whole industries and professionals who do it just to upset people.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:49 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Artists don't live "high on the hog" -- all but less than a fraction of one percent of them live in near poverty, unless they have revenue streams that are independent from their art.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:52 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I was recently called to jury duty and selected for a panel, but didn't get picked for trial. Long story short, an artist was suing his client for breach of an oral contract. He supposedly provided paintings for this guy under the premise he was to receive tangible goods instead of monetary payment, but with no written record of it. Apparently something went south and the lawsuit took place, etc, etc. Not sure what the verdict was.

During the paneling a detailed discussion about this "artist lifestyle" came up between the attorney and one of the panel members. Painters, sculpters, musicians, photographers, interior/exterior designers and other 'artsy' freelance professionals many times work for tangible goods as payment, not money. (They also said this way of life has been around as long as history.)

I never thought about it much past that, but the discussion came up with an older gentleman and myself. His explanation was working for gifts with no written records instead of money was the way these folks can live high on the hog while evading income taxes. In essence they are collecting a tax-free income while collecting food stamps/govt money/welfare/benefits/etc. And 100% of them will vote liberal to push for better govt benefits for themselves + higher income taxes for everyone else.

So what do you think about this? Is there any truth to this 'mooching tax evader' claim? I couldn't refute it, but it seems to make sense. Being one of these ignorant engineering/math/construction mgmt type of guys I don't really know anything about it, but would love to know more. That is, if it's a topic open for discussion. You know how that goes sometimes......
The IRS could be the "artists" next problem.

This was taxable income.

Of course, it would likely be a wash with his deductions.

He should have filed.

Maybe he could have got money back.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:53 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post

This IS tax evasion. Trading services that have a monetary value and not reporting the income is cheating. This guy should be audited.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:08 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,004 times
I prefer to substitute "artists" with "farmer," not that it matters.

Heaven help this, and all other countries, when we have gotten so used to reaching into peoples pockets, that a little farmer who tends to his homestead and peacefully trades with other little farmers through a process of barter such that they help each other out by trading in the things each farmer is respectively good at; and for doing this we make these men out to be Al F-ing Capone for having the audacity to not keep extensive, 1000 page/yearly bureaucratic ledger books detailing each and every single time one guy gives another guy some eggs in return for some homemade soap and homemade canned vegetables for storage. Get bent.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:13 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,524 times
I agree with FreedomThroughAnarchism and mhouse2001.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:18 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
I prefer to substitute "artists" with "farmer," not that it matters.

It might, being you can't exactly survive by eating art.

Would it change the story if I said the "tangible good" at the center of this lawsuit was a yacht? What if the artist was dressed in a fancy Italian suit, had a home in Houston and in eastern Europe, and was represented by a high profile attorney? Because that was actually the case...

Old 09-13-2011, 11:20 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
This IS tax evasion. Trading services that have a monetary value and not reporting the income is cheating. This guy should be audited.
Should hookers be audited for tax evasion? Just saying.

PRETTY WOMAN TRAILER - YouTube

Who knew? Al Capone and Julia Roberts. CRIME TEAM.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:24 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Should hookers be audited for tax evasion? Just saying.

PRETTY WOMAN TRAILER - YouTube

Who knew? Al Capone and Julia Roberts. CRIME TEAM.
Tax evasion IS why Capone went to prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies