Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 12:51 AM

491 posts, read 1,652,281 times

Advertisements

I'm with Perry on this one. The vaccine will save a lot of lives. Whether Merck made out like bandits is another story, but hey they developed it and they should be compensated for their research effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 01:07 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
I'm with Perry on this one. The vaccine will save a lot of lives. Whether Merck made out like bandits is another story, but hey they developed it and they should be compensated for their research effort.
No they shouldn't.

They should be held responsible for the adverse effects of their products.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:36 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
No they shouldn't.

note the indications and warning that come with it, that each doctor informs their patients of before getting the vaccine.

Fewer than a thousand cases amongst millions who have already been administered the vaccine.

Its better to innoculate millions and have a few that have reactions that to vaccinate none, and see a climb in HPV infection, Cervical cancer, and even death in young women.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:07 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
"A 17 year old was vaccinated with Gardasil when she was about one week pregnant. A subsequent ultrasound revealed that the fetus was positive for neural tube defect (a serious birth defect of the brain and spinal cord). A 20 year old female was vaccinated with her first dose of Gardasil during pregnancy and had a spontaneous abortion 10 days later." Vaccine Safety Manual by Neil Z. Miller. p375
There is no evidence that Gardasil causes birth defects or miscarriage. Millions of doses of the vaccine have been given. Merck has a pregnancy registry. They are continuing to monitor pregnancy related issues.

By the way, taking folic acid before and during pregnancy reduces the risk of neural tube defects.

Quote:
"The first problem is that there are over 100 strains of HPV, only 30 of which are even theoretically linked with cervical cancer. In addition, HPV is present in at least half the normal population, almost never causing any disease or problems whatsoever. Indeed, HPV has never been proven as a pathogen for any disease.
No, HPV does not cause disease in everyone who is infected. It does cause warts and it does cause cancer.

Quote:
....All that has ever been shown is that HPV is sometimes present in cervical cancer tissue, but as we know it's also present in half the normal population. There is a total lack of evidence that cervical cancer appears in women with HPV more often than in women without it. And yet this will be the focus of the vaccine: to pretend to eliminate this ubiquitous virus from the body.
The DNA of carcinogenic HPV types is actually found in the DNA of cancer cells. Women who do not get HPV do not get cervical cancer, for example women who have never had sexual intercourse.

Quote:
The second enormous impediment to credibility is that the average age for cervical cancer is 50 years. But the plan is to mandate Gardasil to 12 years olds. And the manufacturer is only claiming efficacy for 5 years. So using their own statistics, this makes the vaccine worthless in the long run, because by the time most females need immunity, it will have worn off long ago.
There is already evidence that the vaccine provides protection longer than 5 years. If boosters are needed, then they can be provided, just as we take boosters for tetanus and whooping cough. The need for a booster --- which may never happen -- requires monitoring over time. The vaccine is only ten years old, so it is impossible to know that protection will last longer than that. The ten year information should be available within the next year.

And cervical cancer does not just suddenly appear. It is preceded by a series of precancerous conditions and takes years to develop. That is the reason that Pap smears work. Pap smears pick up the precancers before they become cancers. Treating the precursors prevents the cancers. But the beauty of the HPV vaccine is that by preventing the HPV infection, you no longer develop the precancers. No abnormal Pap smears. No colposcopies. No painful biopsies. No treatments that may impair fertility or increase the risk of miscarriage.
Quote:

....The original phrase used by Merck to link HPV with cervical cancer was "there is a strong connection." How that phrase got transformed to 'is the cause of' in the past two years is more a matter of marketing than of science.
Gardasil's not been evaluated for carcinogenicity or impairment of fertility. That's great. They want to vaccinate all American 12 year olds with a vaccine for cancer and they don't even know for sure whether or not it causes cancer, or makes the recipients infertile. Yeah, sign my kid up for that one." HPV - The First Cancer Vaccine Dr Tim O'Shea
Merck has not specifically done studies on carcinogenicity or fertility. That does not mean there is no information on carcinogenicity or effects on fertility. There is no evidence that HPV vaccines cause cancer or impair fertility.

O'Shea is a chiropractor. He sells stuff on the internet. He is not an HPV researcher.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:20 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Here are the simple facts.

1. In Texas, to get the insurance companies to pay for a vaccine, it has to be "state mandated".
2. The mandate that Perry signed for the purpose of making this a drug paid by insurance companies included the same "opt out" that every other mandated vaccine in Texas has.
3. The cost of the vaccine is very high. somewhere between $100 and $300 per shot and it takes 3 shots over a course of a few months.

What Perry did was make this drug accessable to the most vulnerable citizens of Texas and he did it in such a way as to provide protection while not stomping on parental rights.

The issue was picked up and turned into something it really wasnt by people who wanted an "issue" to use against Perry.

Not one single person in Texas, when the EO was signed was forced to take this drug. NOT ONE. But hundreds of thousands of kids who otherwise would not have had access were given that access.

THESE are the facts.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:15 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

By the way, taking folic acid before and during pregnancy reduces the risk of neural tube defects.
Yeah, I knew that in 1969 from reading a novel.

In 1974 no medical doctor anywhere in the U.S. was allowed to PRESCRIBE it to women with childbearing capability.

The reason?

They were "taught" that taking it would mask the symptoms of anemia.

With the help of a country doctor, my wife got an illegal supply by getting a veterinarian to prescribe it to my dog.

Every doctor in Helena, Montana refused to prescribe it to my wife.

Our GP, Dr. James W Crichton MD, wrote in my medical report, "the patient has strong feelings about vitamin supplements so I recommended he see a psychiatrist".

A year later, my health insurance carrier, Blue Cross - Blue Shield refused to sell me health insurance, and then, so did all the other carriers.

I finally traced it back to the doctor's notation that, I needed a psychiatrist for becoming "upset" at the doctor's preclusion of supplemental vitamins.

Well suh, I've been without health insurance since 1976, and I'm the healthier for it.

From 1971-1972, I was a personal care attendant for a 21 year old male with spinal bifida.

His mother was a barmaid before, during and after his birth, and a heavy drinker.

It was well known in 1969 that alcohol destroys folic acid.

He told me that one of his doctors told him that each baby born with spinal bifida averaged $300,000 as medical income to the "medical community".

Kaynesian economics at its best!

Old 10-04-2011, 10:55 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Default Cancer spike, mainly in men, tied to HPV from oral sex

Cancer spike in men tied to HPV from oral sex - Health - Men's health - msnbc.com

Now they are saying boys need the shot as well.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:58 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

Good. The more people get vaccinated the better.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:01 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:

In 1974 no medical doctor anywhere in the U.S. was allowed to PRESCRIBE it to women with childbearing capability.

The reason?

With the help of a country doctor, my wife got an illegal supply by getting a veterinarian to prescribe it to my dog.

Our GP, Dr. James W Crichton MD, wrote in my medical report, "the patient has strong feelings about vitamin supplements so I recommended he see a psychiatrist".

A year later, my health insurance carrier, Blue Cross - Blue Shield refused to sell me health insurance, and then, so did all the other carriers.

I finally traced it back to the doctor's notation that, I needed a psychiatrist for becoming "upset" at the doctor's preclusion of supplemental vitamins.

Well suh, I've been without health insurance since 1976, and I'm the healthier for it.

From 1971-1972, I was a personal care attendant for a 21 year old male with spinal bifida.

His mother was a barmaid before, during and after his birth, and a heavy drinker.

He told me that one of his doctors told him that each baby born with spinal bifida averaged $300,000 as medical income to the "medical community".

Very interesting, since the connection between neural tube defects and folic acid was not established in 1969. Title of the novel from which you got your information, please?

http://www.vitamin-basics.com/index.php?id=60 (broken link)

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 10-04-2011 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: to add link

Old 10-04-2011, 11:02 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
No they shouldn't.

All products have potential adverse effects. Shall we ban cars because people get into auto accidents?

Quote:

The reason?

None of this babbling has anything to do with the gardasil vaccine.

The vaccine has been tested and found to work. It is amazing to me that people can actually argue against known cancer prevention methods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies