Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 05:31 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,276,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Why do you continue to ignore the REALITY of the games of intimidation that the medical establishment and Big Pharma utilize?!
The intimidation tactics that Government uses, per our schools and those on welfare?
Blah blah blah. you do know that 90% of the vaccines available have been on the market for nearly 60+ years? No "Big Pharma" at work.

Many of the vaccines weren't even developed by "big pharma" but doctors looking to find a cure for their patients, then happening on the vaccine by accident.

Today, viruses and diseases are much stronger, requires longer research, and many people devoted to testing. This costs money. Millions of dollars of research, and hundreds of employees. That's a lot of money being spent to cure one ailment. but in the end, millions of lives can be saved.

Big Pharma doesn't make money in vaccines (no company does). Its Loss leader for them. The money is made in the other stuff they develop; heart medication, cholesterol lower medication, asthma medication, etc etc. Stuff that affects you for the rest of your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 06:03 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,332,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Blah blah blah. you do know that 90% of the vaccines available have been on the market for nearly 60+ years? No "Big Pharma" at work.

Many of the vaccines weren't even developed by "big pharma" but doctors looking to find a cure for their patients, then happening on the vaccine by accident.

Today, viruses and diseases are much stronger, requires longer research, and many people devoted to testing. This costs money. Millions of dollars of research, and hundreds of employees. That's a lot of money being spent to cure one ailment. but in the end, millions of lives can be saved.

Big Pharma doesn't make money in vaccines (no company does). Its Loss leader for them. The money is made in the other stuff they develop; heart medication, cholesterol lower medication, asthma medication, etc etc. Stuff that affects you for the rest of your life.

So . . . Vaccines really just come out of the goodness and kindness of of Big Pharma's heart.

I'm much more relaxed and confident now.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
So . . . Vaccines really just come out of the goodness and kindness of of Big Pharma's heart.
Actually its a PR move more than anything these days. Create a vaccine, create good PR. Good PR make people more acceptable of aLL THE OTHER medications your company is making (and that brings in money, research, and grants)

Old 10-07-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Actually its a PR move more than anything these days. Create a vaccine, create good PR. Good PR make people more acceptable of aLL THE OTHER medications your company is making (and that brings in money, research, and grants)
Oh, yeah, man.

When I buy drugs, I always choose Merck first.

I don't mind paying extra, because of the good things Merck does.

I must have some sort of Mercky sense of the greater good.

Schit, man, I must be a Liberal!

Old 10-07-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Oh, yeah, man.

When I buy drugs, I always choose Merck first.
You probably buy some of the products that Merck makes and not even realize it.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
You probably buy some of the products that Merck makes and not even realize it.
I don't often use drugs, but when I do . . . I always choose Merck.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:19 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,174,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Why is. This subject such an issue during the debate. I also don't understand the cheering of thepublic of Michelle Bachman on her comments towards Rick Perry.

In my family had a huge scare which might have been prevented with Gardasil.

I guess Michelle doesn't know this....I have a lot of respect for her, but not when it comes to this subject.

It was not the vaccine or the merits of the vaccine in question. It was because Rick Perry as the governor of Texas used his executive order to try to enforce that the vaccine be mandatory for all 6th grade girls before they could attend school. The only way to not have the vaccine was to go to court and get a waiver based on religion. The issue is that it did not make it the parent's decision and since this is vaccine for something that is caused from sexual contact, the parent's should have been the ones to decide. The vaccine was very new and had little exposure on the market at the time also. Several children did have adverse side effects from it.

As it turned out, Rick Perry had ties to Merck who makes the Gardasil vaccine. They gave money to his political campaign for several years and even though he said it was $5000.00 it was actually much more. Merck also contributes to the Republican Governor's Association which Perry is very involved in. They contributed $355,000.00 since 2006 to the RGA which is one of Perry's biggest donors and has given his campaign about $4 million dollars in the past 5 years.

Texas governor understated Merck donations | The Columbus Dispatch

Old 10-07-2011, 08:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
It was not the vaccine or the merits of the vaccine in question. It was because Rick Perry as the governor of Texas used his executive order to try to enforce that the vaccine be mandatory for all 6th grade girls before they could attend school. The only way to not have the vaccine was to go to court and get a waiver based on religion. The issue is that it did not make it the parent's decision and since this is vaccine for something that is caused from sexual contact, the parent's should have been the ones to decide. The vaccine was very new and had little exposure on the market at the time also. Several children did have adverse side effects from it.

As it turned out, Rick Perry had ties to Merck who makes the Gardasil vaccine. They gave money to his political campaign for several years and even though he said it was $5000.00 it was actually much more. Merck also contributes to the Republican Governor's Association which Perry is very involved in. They contributed $355,000.00 since 2006 to the RGA which is one of Perry's biggest donors and has given his campaign about $4 million dollars in the past 5 years.

Texas governor understated Merck donations | The Columbus Dispatch
We-ell, considering this thread, I don't think it was "just" Perry's executive order. Michele Bachmann (anyone remember her?) claimed a parent told her the vaccine harmed her child. There's that, too.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post

a few hundred against the millions already issued the Vaccine here in America and in Australia (where its been available longer).

Rick Perry made the legislation because INSURANCE Wasn't covering the cost (at $100 a shot and it requires 3 shots), and so to have Insurance cover it, the vaccine had to be a requirement to take (and only waived if the family didn't want it)

So what if he had ties to Merck. So does nearly every politician have some kind of link to pharmaceutical companies. Doesn't mean they had influence. Remember, laws are made by the state's congress and then passed by the respective house and senate. Blame them.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:14 PM

The warts are spreading.

AB499 Passes in CA Removes Parental Consent from Gardasil Genital Wart Vaccine for Children 12+ - AGE OF AUTISM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies