Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
No. But we should not be paying them money either.
Indians should learn that welfare handouts come with big strings attached. The government has the most control over those who accept it's "gifts".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 09:56 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
You know what I'd like to see? I'd like the various first nations in Canada to be given a monoply on the entire tobacco industry in this country. If the amount of money that generated for them did not solve the various problems they have we could conclude. It's not the money that ails native society.
I think though we would see that it would solve a lot of problems that are due to poverty.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:27 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
You're not talking about the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
That may be true, but should I then demand preferential treatment in hiring
since my Irish ancestors were discriminated against when they arrived here in the 19th / 20th centuries?

Even if I should, I won't.
It's water under the bridge; I'm not carrying a chip on my shoulder about it.

As was mentioned upthread, we all have injustices in our backgrounds.
We move on; simple.
You're talking about prejudice.

The "Indians" did not just suffer prejudice.
Their way of life was destroyed, their lands stolen, their support mechanisms destroyed, laws were passed to stop them celebrating their heritage.

They made treaties, and had them repeatedly broken, and folks wonder why they still have a distrust of America ?

If , after 100 years "things can be forgotten", then why are there so many mentions of "Indian wars" on this thread ?
Why so much resentment that they want their own laws and live a different life to you ?

Agreed, what's done can't be undone, but it should be acknowledged that mistakes were made, and something should be done to redress them.

As for allegations of "being full of meth", that's purely an "Indian" problem, is it ?
No other race takes meth ?
No other region has concentrations of poor people and societal outcasts ?
No other race has ghettos ?

Point is, the "Indians" aren't like that by choice. They are like that because their way of life has been destroyed, everything they know is gone. A nation can't just recover from that within a few years.
As evident on this thread, they still face prejudice today.
How can they expect to get a job and live a normal life when everyone sees to have an image of them being sponging drug addicts?

the Americans started what could be an irreversible breakdown in civilisations, and even now, seem to blame those civilisations for it

they can't forget, because you won't let them.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:19 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
I saw this video earlier today and it really explains the situation in much more detail and from the Cherokee perspective:

The Cherokee Nation Tells the Truth About the Freedmen Issue - YouTube

The Cherokee didn't kick out Black people, just Blacks that don't have any Cherokee blood.
Fascinating and these Blacks are specifically entitled to citizenship as per the treaty that the Cherokees signed. There really is no getting around that blood or no blood. It would be like after the Civil War denying US citizenship to freed slaves who had no white blood. Since before the 14th amendment Blacks were not explicitly entitled to citizenship free or slave.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Fascinating and these Blacks are specifically entitled to citizenship as per the treaty that the Cherokees signed. There really is no getting around that blood or no blood. It would be like after the Civil War denying US citizenship to freed slaves who had no white blood. Since before the 14th amendment Blacks were not explicitly entitled to citizenship free or slave.
Why not just let the African-Cherokees have their own tribe and the US can honor the old treaties with it directly?

It's a problem because either the Indian nations can self-determine or they are ruled by the US government.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Seems like many are using the Cherokee situation to pile on NDNs in general and our reservations. I would like to remind all of you who would use this opportunity to further your agenda of removing all funding, land or rights of Native Americans...............

............. that the United States Government, acting on the faith and authorization of Congress and the American People, signed treaties with the Indian Nations recognizing us our sovereignity and justly due whatever renumeration and consideration individual tribes and the United States have negotiated between the parties involved.

This is not victim redress. This is strictly a legal issue predicated on legal treaties. It would take an act of congress signed by the president to recind the treaties that exist between our nations. I understand your consternation. We as First Nations are allowed to live in two worlds and reap the benefits of both. I guess you'll just have stop sniveling and deal with it. The American people have much more crap on your plate than to worry about your NDN cultures.

Getting back to the OPs thread, it looks to me that when you scratch below the surface of the Cherokee issue you find an interim tribal government that needs to elect tribal leaders. It appears that there is a power struggle at the top and whether the Cherokee Freedmen have the right to vote. One faction of the tribe wants to strip them of that vote by denying them tribal status and the Feds say the wording of the treaty as signed trumps all else. I'm sure money, property and power are all involved. A messy situation, all the way around. I hope all parties involved find justice through an equitable solution.
So you want the USA to recognize treaties that are favorable to Native Americans but the Native Americans have no obligation to honor treaties that they don't like? Doesn't work that way the Freedmen stay on.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why not just let the African-Cherokees have their own tribe and the US can honor the old treaties with it directly?

It's a problem because either the Indian nations can self-determine or they are ruled by the US government.
They signed a treaty. End of discussion. Treaties need to be broken by both parties.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:29 AM

810 posts, read 837,099 times
This is just the beginning folks. Eventually things will lead to violence to get rid of the 'dead weight' that exists in the United States. It's not even by racial lines, any socially constructed group that seems to be contributing nothing to communities and instead making it worse will get that kind of treatment. In this case the Cherokee are fed up with another underclass, and in California its Mexicans vs blacks vs whites. When people are aggravated you can just throw all that MLK Jr stuff away because people won't listen or care about equality when their own lives are messed up.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
They signed a treaty. End of discussion. Treaties need to be broken by both parties.
But as a separate nation, is it up to the USA government to be some enforcer of their internal issues? It's also a treaty that the Indian nation is separate.

Isn't it like us getting involved with how other nations determine citizenship?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:11 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I asked this question a few pages back. No answer, as yet. Either no one knows or they don't want to reveal the answer.
It could be more political correctness..........you know the part we don't want to offend anyone by asking what they are doing with taxpayer dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies