Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:32 PM

338 posts, read 897,598 times

Advertisements

Many people in the US and around the world believe that America's foreign policy is driven by Israel -- not Washington. For example, when Israel drops cluster bombs on the Lebanese all nations at the UN vote to condemn it except for America.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 09:58 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,417,747 times
No, why would we care what the UN thinks? This is the same UN that has never actually successfully completed any mission.

They condemned because the UN is against cluster bombs, America is obviously not against them as is Russia.

Maybe the UN could do something about the rockets getting fired into Israel all the time but tis obvious they don't. The UN is a big waste of money and time and I do not see why we are even in it.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:50 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times
The US is certainly pro-Israel, which is unfortunate given that Israel is illegally occupying land that doesn't belong to them. I personally cannot stand the fact that Israel isn't being marginalized by the West.

It only dictates the amount of America's foreign policy that America allows it too. There are obvious political reasons for the US to support Israel, as unfortunate as that may be.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:26 AM

78,438 posts, read 60,640,522 times
I often consider that US support for Israel keeps them from reacting to their neighbors in a vastly more severe fashion.

The US is definitely pro-Israel but in my mind this rather balances out with the EU. (polls and recent history tell us how Europe feels about Jews) The Arab nations and all of the nations that have large enough muslim populaitons see Israel as the aggressor and fail to recognize the shades of grey. Hard to blame either side if you look at it objectively...but I guess if the tables were turned and Israel were conquered by Palestine we wouldn't be having this conversation as all the Jews in Israel would be dead.

Personally, I think Israel is actually quite good for the leaders of countries like Syria. They have >30% unemployment, massive corruption and oppressive controls. They blame all problems on Israel and send their most passionate young men to annihilation in Iraq, Palestine etc. where otherwise they might foment revolution at home.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:00 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,028,157 times
As someone who has actually lived in those regions, and in the US, I would have to say no.

There is far more influence wielded behind the scenes by the Sunni world (led by Saudi Arabia) as the oil suppliers to the US than the "Israel dictates" theory wants to accept. The Saudis, and other nations, are in direct competition with the Shiite Arab nations, led by Iran. As for the UN - the fact that they won't condemn Sudan for its atrocities or China for its abuse of Tibet seems to indicate a less that even handed treatment of Human Rights in the World.

And I'd agree with Mathguy that Israel is as much a handy diversion for some pretty corrupt states. I would like to see the Palestinians sort themselves out and get independance though.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:10 PM

564 posts, read 1,727,349 times
America's foreign policy isn't necessarily driven by Israel, but heavenly influenced by them. There is no reason why the cluster bombs shouldn't be banned, especially because Israel used them so barbarically in Lebanon. I've visited Lebanon, these clusterbombs are in forms of toys and cans, so any toddler on the street can pick one up out of curiosity and be killed (and it's happened to dozens). I'm sure Israel had much more on their mind than fighting Hezbollah in 2006.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:32 PM

681 posts, read 2,913,771 times
IMO the answer to the OP is "No". I do think that since the Brits so badly lied to and turned their backs on them decades ago - sorry, read your history - that in the interest of fairness someone has to pay attention to their pov. Even now, when their government is so feeble and emasculated.

The rest of this is simply meaningless. Banning various armaments and calling on various groups to "do" things is just an exercise in feeling 'good'. It has not other effect. Unfortunately.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
America's foreign policy isn't necessarily driven by Israel, but heavenly influenced by them. There is no reason why the cluster bombs shouldn't be banned, especially because Israel used them so barbarically in Lebanon. I've visited Lebanon, these clusterbombs are in forms of toys and cans, so any toddler on the street can pick one up out of curiosity and be killed (and it's happened to dozens). I'm sure Israel had much more on their mind than fighting Hezbollah in 2006.
I would like to see a link to where Israel clusterbombed with devices in the shape of toys. (Please don't link to a Hamas newsletter though)

Old 06-24-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
IMO the answer to the OP is "No". I do think that since the Brits so badly lied to and turned their backs on them decades ago - sorry, read your history - that in the interest of fairness someone has to pay attention to their pov. Even now, when their government is so feeble and emasculated.

The rest of this is simply meaningless. Banning various armaments and calling on various groups to "do" things is just an exercise in feeling 'good'. It has not other effect. Unfortunately.
True. Sadly things are *that* bad between Israel and it's neighbors....at least not bad enough to get them to actually negotiate. Look at Pakistan and India, I recall they have about 10x as many casualties a year in their fued but its not front page stuff.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:49 PM

564 posts, read 1,727,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I would like to see a link to where Israel clusterbombed with devices in the shape of toys. (Please don't link to a Hamas newsletter though)
I hate Hamas just as much as you do, bro.

I saw it with my own eyes when I went down to Lebanon. And Lebanese news stations report about it whenever it happens (tends to be monthly a person is blown up). Obviously, not all the bombs are toys but many are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies