Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:52 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times

Advertisements

Which Tea Party are we talking about?

The one MSM portrays or the one that stands for fiscal responsibility by the government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 11:06 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
As a nation we haven't come this far without grand compromise.

I'll start:

TP'ers and Progressives want ALL CHILDREN TO RECEIVE THE BEST EDUCATION IN THE WORLD.
It's not what we both want, it's how we get there, where the differences lie.

Liberals want all problems solved thru massive, taxpayer funded, government programs, and to do this they want to empower the federal government to rule over the nation and supplant state's rights and if need be, to deny any individual rights and freedoms that may stand in their way.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:07 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
IF the Tea Party was as it was when first formed the answer is yes, todays Tea Party, No.
Today's Tea Party is the same as it was when it started. The Tea Party of today you refer to is a straw man of propaganda. /shrug

Quote:
I also disagree with your first assumption, if it were true the right (Tea Party) would not be so interested in removing the Department of Education, cutting education funds, breaking the teachers unions, or abandoning Millions of chidren to sub-par educations through the voucher idea.
The devil is Always in the details.
Casper
Actually, not true. That is a false premise. Cutting those things does not imply a reduction in education quality, that is the fallacy of the progressives claims.

We have increased government control on the educational system, spend more money than we ever have on it in history, have unionized it and placed it directly in bed with progressive control and agenda and the result has been an ever declining educated base. The level of education of these days, even at the college level is severely lacking compared to past like educational results.

The goal is to remove the bureaucracy, political indoctrination, cost ineffective union burden and place it into private systems to which require results in order to profit. That means, as children succeed, so do those businesses and those that do not produce such, lose customers and go bankrupt.

You are right, the devil is in the details.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:19 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
You want to get everybody together for a compromise? Here is a good direction - but those in education will fight every inch of the way against this change.

If it was up to me (it isn’t) I would streamline our whole educational system from the national level. I would have nationally accredited, free, online courses available to anybody at any time. I would team up our best computer game programmers with our educational online programmers and create courses that captured the attention of all that wanted to learn.

I would not eliminate our traditional educational system. I do think that it has a place. It could validate the online grades. I could also provide the tools for those that did not have access. I could provide a place for social and physical education. However; the net effect would be to downsize the whole system.

We are not keeping up with our competition. We throw money away at a bad system. We need to look outside the box.

The problem is that we need leaders that are capable of leading us out of the bureaucratic hole that we have dug ourselves into. We need change and not just leaders that use the word with no meaning.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:24 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
There are none.

One is for Constitutional responsibility and personal responsibility, the other is for government intrusion into every aspect of life, damn the Constitution.

There can be no compromise.

The left must be beaten back again, as they were in the 20's, 40's and 70's.
Congratulations! You're one of the people making any real progress on the country's problems impossible.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Congratulations! You're one of the people making any real progress on the country's problems impossible.
If by "progress" you mean stopping the federal government from granting itself more power, authority and control over us, then I hope we can prevail against the left, or we will be doomed as a nation to live under tyranny.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You want to get everybody together for a compromise? Here is a good direction - but those in education will fight every inch of the way against this change.

If it was up to me (it isn’t) I would streamline our whole educational system from the national level. I would have nationally accredited, free, online courses available to anybody at any time. I would team up our best computer game programmers with our educational online programmers and create courses that captured the attention of all that wanted to learn.

I would not eliminate our traditional educational system. I do think that it has a place. It could validate the online grades. I could also provide the tools for those that did not have access. I could provide a place for social and physical education. However; the net effect would be to downsize the whole system.

We are not keeping up with our competition. We throw money away at a bad system. We need to look outside the box.

The problem is that we need leaders that are capable of leading us out of the bureaucratic hole that we have dug ourselves into. We need change and not just leaders that use the word with no meaning.
So start a private company that is involved in education, and bring your ideas to the public, and if your ideas are good, you will be successful, and be a great contribution to the nation's future.

Just stop trying to use the power of the federal government, and my hard earned money, to force your ideas down all our throats.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:37 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
I also disagree with your first assumption, if it were true the right (Tea Party) would not be so interested in removing the Department of Education, cutting education funds, breaking the teachers unions, or abandoning Millions of chidren to sub-par educations through the voucher idea.
Dept of Education: The quality of education has gone down since its formation. Mandatory standardized tests with funding tied to the results fosters an environment in schools where teachers are forced to "teach to the test," instead of focusing on a well-rounded and thorough education.

Cutting funds: Throwing money at the problem hasn't helped to improve the education that the kids are receiving, so why continue? Regardless, if states and municipalities want to throw money at the problem, that's their business, but the feds shouldn't be spending a dime on it.

Teachers' unions: If quality education is your primary concern when it comes to the public school system, I don't see how you can possibly support teachers' unions. Teachers (and administrators, for that matter) should be paid, promoted, retained and/or fired based on their performance. Period. Union contracts should have no place in deciding whether or not a teacher is given a raise or a pink slip.

Vouchers: Same argument as above, with regard to unions. It's the pay-for-performance idea.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:53 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
If by "progress" you mean stopping the federal government from granting itself more power, authority and control over us, then I hope we can prevail against the left, or we will be doomed as a nation to live under tyranny.
I mean compromise. Nothing ever gets done in politics without compromise.

Your shrill, paranoid and neurotic ideologic rant is a great example of how compromise, and thus effective government, has become difficult to impossible.

Our country should be run on good data, logic, common sense and compromise, not slavish adherence to ideology in spite of any circumstance.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:05 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I mean compromise. Nothing ever gets done in politics without compromise.

Your shrill, paranoid and neurotic ideologic rant is a great example of how compromise, and thus effective government, has become difficult to impossible.

Our country should be run on good data, logic, common sense and compromise, not slavish adherence to ideology in spite of any circumstance.

There is no compromise between diametrically opposing positions. There is only allowing one to infringe on the position of the other.

Our country should be ran based on its founding and spirit of intent through the affirmation of the liberties of its people, anything else is just a scam to promote self interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies