Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in the existence of the Social Security trust fund?
Yes 7 22.58%
No 24 77.42%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 09:48 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times

Advertisements

Do you believe the over $2.5 trillion dollars in US treasury bonds held in the Social Security trust fund are worthless? If so, do you believe that all US treasury bonds are worthless?

(If that's the case, please send any and every US treasury bond you have to me. I will even give you some money for these worthless "IOUs." How does half of the face value sound to you? Pretty fair, right? After all, an asset that is only backed by the full faith of the US government, which is generally recognized as the safest investment in the world, is just trash, right?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 09:51 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
SS is a slush fund ofr government projects. Always has been, just like the fund for the Federal Fuel tax. I think everyone is pretty much aware of this.

We have several threads on SS and the fraud that has been perpetuated on Americans since FDR.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
SS is a slush fund ofr government projects. Always has been, just like the fund for the Federal Fuel tax. I think everyone is pretty much aware of this.

We have several threads on SS and the fraud that has been perpetuated on Americans since FDR.
I know we have lots of threads on this. Those threads have made it very clear that many don't quite understand what the Social Security trust fund is. The purpose of this thread is to specifically focus on the trust fund. Words like "slush fund", "Ponzi scheme", etc. sound good, but do you know what assets SS actually has? Please vote on whether or not you think these assets are worthless.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:58 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
They may not be worthless now, but they will be after we go into hyperinflation.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
They may not be worthless now, but they will be after we go into hyperinflation.
If we went into hyperinflation, they'd be worthless. I agree. But then so would dollar bills. So are you using your dollars to start fires now? I'm not. I'm holding onto them on the very outside chance that we dont' go into hyperinflation. For now, I want to protect that very valuable trust fund from raiders. I have to hand it to them. It's very clever of the would be raiders to try to convince people that it's already been raided so they can get at more easily.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:08 AM

513 posts, read 581,194 times
There is no trust fund, there never was. It was a slush fund that the politicians raided for every pet project under the sun. SS is worse than a Ponzi scheme, because at least a Ponzi scheme isn't mandatory, SS is.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
There is no trust fund, there never was. It was a slush fund that the politicians raided for every pet project under the sun. SS is worse than a Ponzi scheme, because at least a Ponzi scheme isn't mandatory, SS is.

Birch, please back up what you're saying with a source. There is a trust fund of over $2.5 trillion dollars of US treasury bonds. You can argue that these are "worthless" and explain your reasoning, but you're not going to find anyone with even a modicum of real knowledge on this topic who says it doesn't exist.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:20 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,521,399 times
There is no "trust fund", the money that was collected by social security taxes and not spent as part of SS operating expenses, has been spent as general revenue. This money was replaced with IOUs in the form of US treasury bonds. These bonds will need to be paid back by the US taxpayer.

I'm thinking I need to start an investment company on this principle. You give me money, that I go spend on whatever I want. Then when you want you're money back, I take more from you, plus interest, to do so.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:26 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Birch, please back up what you're saying with a source. There is a trust fund of over $2.5 trillion dollars of US treasury bonds. You can argue that these are "worthless" and explain your reasoning, but you're not going to find anyone with even a modicum of real knowledge on this topic who says it doesn't exist.
The SS bonds are NOT regular US Saving bonds.

They are for SS alone.

The problem is the Treasury is redeeming then now and the money has to be borrowed because the gov't is broke.

Each time they borrow the U.S. debt INCREASES.

We are on the edge where the revenues are not enough to cover our expenditures.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
There is no "trust fund", the money that was collected by social security taxes and not spent as part of SS operating expenses, has been spent as general revenue. This money was replaced with IOUs in the form of US treasury bonds. These bonds will need to be paid back by the US taxpayer.

I'm thinking I need to start an investment company on this principle. You give me money, that I go spend on whatever I want. Then when you want you're money back, I take more from you, plus interest, to do so.
It's not general revenue. Since 1983, SS has purchased US treasury bonds with the surplus it takes in from payroll taxes. It currently holds just over $2.5 trillion dollars worth.

Yes, a US treasury bond is in some ways an IOU from the US government. IOUs from the US government are globally recognized as the safest investment one can make. That's why China has purchased over $2 trillion worth of IOUs. Apparently they think they have some value.

I take it you want to forfiet yours? Do you happen to own any other US treasury bonds? If you do, would you be so kind as to mail them to me? I will pay you for the postage and your troubles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies