Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the above proposal?
I am heterosexual and I support the proposal 19 27.94%
I am homosexual and I support the proposal 9 13.24%
I am heterosexual and I do not support the proposal 28 41.18%
I am homosexual and I do not support the proposal 4 5.88%
None of the above options is appropriate for me 8 11.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:32 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,186,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I can see the logic in this. I could probably be swayed if religious marriage had no legal standing and all benefits would be dependant upon filing for a civil union.
Right now, religious marriage by itself has no legal standing. The only time it does, is when the religious leader of said marriage has been licensed by the state to perform the legal marriage.

"By the power vested in me by the state of _________, I now pronounce you ________________________"

So, if a couple wanted to, they could get a religious marriage performed without having it be legal. Why they would want to, is beyond me, but they could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
What of the 1400 benefits can they not get via a lawyer drawing up a contract?
FMLA for spouse.

No contract or document in the world could provide the benefit that one has in using FMLA to care for a spouse without fear of losing one's job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 10:57 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,124,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Based on what logic? Marriage is not a religious institution, same sex marriage already exists around the world, and has throughout history, and the modern day version, is just that, modern. Traditional marriage was pretty awful, especially for women.
Actually it is, it's a Sacrament.

Same sex marriage may exist in some countries around the world, as it exists in some states in the US. That does not mean it is broadly accepted as normal and equal to heterosexual marriage.

Traditional marriage was not awful in any way, and not "especially for women." Women were put here to carry children, care for them and serve their husband. That does not mean it's awful or that they're slaves. My duty as a wife is to support my husband in whatever way he needs. He usually needs me to just keep the house clean and make dinner. Make sure the bills get paid. Do errands that might need done. Other than that, I can do whatever I want. My duty as a mother is to take care of our daughter, I take the primary caretaker role. The husband's duty is to make sure that we're okay financially (i.e., to ensure that we are cared for, have a roof over our head, gas in the car, food on the table, whatever). Traditional marriage still exists today and is the ideal arrangement for procreation and perpetuation of the species.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:02 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,062,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Actually it is, it's a Sacrament.

Same sex marriage may exist in some countries around the world, as it exists in some states in the US. That does not mean it is broadly accepted as normal and equal to heterosexual marriage.

Traditional marriage was not awful in any way, and not "especially for women." Women were put here to carry children, care for them and serve their husband. That does not mean it's awful or that they're slaves. My duty as a wife is to support my husband in whatever way he needs. He usually needs me to just keep the house clean and make dinner. Make sure the bills get paid. Do errands that might need done. Other than that, I can do whatever I want. My duty as a mother is to take care of our daughter, I take the primary caretaker role. The husband's duty is to make sure that we're okay financially (i.e., to ensure that we are cared for, have a roof over our head, gas in the car, food on the table, whatever). Traditional marriage still exists today and is the ideal arrangement for procreation and perpetuation of the species.
People really still believe that today...I am speechless.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
religious talibanists
Disgusting use of terminology.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:28 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,335,011 times
Quote:
Women were put here to carry children, care for them and serve their husband. That does not mean it's awful or that they're slaves.
Sounds pretty awful to me. As a heterosexual man, a woman who believed this would hold my attention for about a quarter of a second after that information came to light.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
People really still believe that today...I am speechless.
You're overthinking it. We were all put here to perpetuate the species. The role of the woman in that scenario is to care for children and support the husband. The role of the husband is to make sure the family has what it needs to survive. I'm not saying in modern times that women don't have other things they can do. I'm saying that when it comes down to it, women are the ones who raise the children while men provide for the family. Even if the father is the stay at home parent, there is a bond and relationship between mother and child that the father can never have. I have a four-week old in the house, it is abundantly clear that the relationship between father and child is vastly different than mother and child, no matter who is the primary caretaker.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Sounds pretty awful to me. As a heterosexual man, a woman who believed this would hold my attention for about a quarter of a second after that information came to light.
And someone who believed the opposite might hold a traditional man's attention for a millisecond after she said she didn't want kids, would never leave work to be a mother, put partying with her friends over her marriage and kids, etc.

ETA: What is so awful about it, anyway? Be specific, please.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
ETA: What is so awful about it, anyway? Be specific, please.
What is awful about is the grouping and lack of choice represented in this line of thought.

If YOU think that YOU were put here to make babies and serve your husband, ok, but all women don't think like you.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
You're overthinking it. We were all put here to perpetuate the species.
We weren't 'put here' at all.

Quote:
The role of the woman in that scenario is to care for children and support the husband. The role of the husband is to make sure the family has what it needs to survive.
Unless the role of the woman is to make sure the family has what it needs to survive and the role of the husband is to care for the children and support the wife.

OR

The role of the woman is to make sure the family has what it needs to survive and the role of the other woman is to care for the children.

OR

The role of the man is to make sure the family has what it needs to survive and the role of the other man is to care for the children.

OR

Gasp! The roles of both partners is to care for the children and make sure the family has what it needs to survive.

Quote:
I'm not saying in modern times that women don't have other things they can do. I'm saying that when it comes down to it, women are the ones who raise the children while men provide for the family. Even if the father is the stay at home parent, there is a bond and relationship between mother and child that the father can never have. I have a four-week old in the house, it is abundantly clear that the relationship between father and child is vastly different than mother and child, no matter who is the primary caretaker.
Do you realize that your situation doesn't represent every situation?

Old 09-19-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
What is awful about is the grouping and lack of choice represented in this line of thought.

If YOU think that YOU were put here to make babies and serve your husband, ok, but all women don't think like you.
What lack of choice? I'll use myself as the example again.

My main responsibilities in life are to my husband and my child. Would you not agree that a wife's main priorities in life are to her husband and children? If you disagree, please explain why.

As I said, I am free to do whatever I please, as long as we're not living in squalor, eating junk for dinner and our child is loved, clean and fed. Again, I think that's pretty typical of a marriage. If you don't see it that way, what kind of marriage would you prefer?

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter what these women think, b/c that's what it all boils down to in the end. I'm just practical enough to acknowledge it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies