Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 01:59 PM

624 posts, read 1,072,217 times

Advertisements

Dean: Employers will drop coverage under Obamacare | Campaign 2012 (http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/dean-employers-will-drop-coverage-under-obamacare - broken link)

Quote:
Dean told Morning Joe, "The fact is it is very good for small business. There was a McKinsey study, which the Democrats don't like, but I do, and I think its true. Most small businesses are not going to be in the health insurance business anymore after this thing goes into effect."
Of course, this is what the conservatives predicted would happen. I feel sad for the many Americans who will end up spending more of their money on their healthcare.

But... what can we do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 02:02 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
In the long run I think you want employers out of the health insurance game so that people are not tied to a job just to keep their health insurance, and so individuals can make better financial decisions on their own...unfortunately I don't think this is the best path to removing employers from the equation though.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:11 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,624,513 times
did anyone actually believe that we could reform healthcare, and allow everyone to keep their coverage?

Old 09-20-2011, 02:14 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,325,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Dean: Employers will drop coverage under Obamacare | Campaign 2012 (http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/dean-employers-will-drop-coverage-under-obamacare - broken link)

Of course, this is what the conservatives predicted would happen. I feel sad for the many Americans who will end up spending more of their money on their healthcare.

But... what can we do?
How else do you add the thirty million uninsured (that's the figure the left always states) and pay for them? Obamacare has always been about destroying the insurance market used by the middle class to midwife socialized medicine.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:43 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,595,106 times
BUT..BUT...BUT..BUT..BUT Obama said I could???? Now he wouldn't lie to us..would he???

Old 09-20-2011, 02:45 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
did anyone actually believe that we could reform healthcare, and allow everyone to keep their coverage?
You mean the President didn't actually believe that?

Old 09-20-2011, 02:56 PM

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Somewhere I read that employers pay for 20% of the health insurance in this country. Why should they? Was it a benefit because the company could not give a raise, so they gave health care? Why is healthcare an employers responsibility?

The government pays for 60%. That leaves 20% uninsured. If those uninsured need hospitalization, then some government picks up the tab. It is not a giant leap for business to drop coverage.

The more I look at this stuff the more single payer makes sense.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:29 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Somewhere I read that employers pay for 20% of the health insurance in this country. Why should they? Was it a benefit because the company could not give a raise, so they gave health care? Why is healthcare an employers responsibility?

The government pays for 60%. That leaves 20% uninsured. If those uninsured need hospitalization, then some government picks up the tab. It is not a giant leap for business to drop coverage.

The more I look at this stuff the more single payer makes sense.
Your recollection of what you read is incorrect. I got these numbers from the Census Bureau's Annual Insurance Report. Businesses cover more than half of all insured.

Unisured 16.7%
Employment Based Insurance 55.8%
Govt Health Insurance Programs 30.6%

Old 09-20-2011, 04:48 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,460,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Your recollection of what you read is incorrect. I got these numbers from the Census Bureau's Annual Insurance Report. Businesses cover more than half of all insured.

Unisured 16.7%
Employment Based Insurance 55.8%
Govt Health Insurance Programs 30.6%
These numbers only shows who sponsors the policy not the percentage of premiums paid. Many people may have a plan through their employer and end up getting 1/2 of their personal coverage paid by their employer but the rest of the cost of their coverage and 100% of the cost of the rest of their family members is deducted from their pay check.

In many of these cases the employee would be better of seeking his own individual coverage for himself and his family which can be a lot less expensive than the plan the employer has.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:08 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
My high deductible catastrophic coverage will be eliminated by Obamacare and that was always part of the Obamacare plan. It was a flat out lie, just like all the others Obama has told, that people would be able to keep their coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies