Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 11:46 PM

107 posts, read 67,794 times

Advertisements

I love how so many are armchair experts about everything nowadays. The scandalous drama of the week.
Get ready folks, I'm sure the networks have another one in the pipeline ready for you to get hot and bothered about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 11:50 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet,SeriousBusiness! View Post
I love how so many are armchair experts about everything nowadays. The scandalous drama of the week.
Get ready folks, I'm sure the networks have another one in the pipeline ready for you to get hot and bothered about.
You've been plenty active in same threads, are you including yourself as an '"armchair" expert?

Old 09-22-2011, 12:25 AM

954 posts, read 1,280,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
All professionals have made decisions that had to be right to stay employed. I'd have a higher level of confidence regarding death penalty (mindful 1/2 IL death row was proven via DNA at one point to not possibly be guilty of crime involved) if DAs had skin in the game. I'd favor 2 strikes and you are out; if higher court finds no reasonable evidence supporting conviction twice, the prosecuting law team is permanently BARRED from practicing law. That would do for them what SOX did to get the major accounting firms to not 'wink, wink, nod, nod" and go with the pc flow.
If there's no reasonable evidence, I find it hard to believe there would even be a case, since any defense attorney with an ounce of competence would have the case dismissed, and barring that, take it to trial - provided that a D.A with more cases than they have time would take it to trial.

There's also this thing called malicious prosecution... And of course, exactly how would you define no reasonable evidence? There could certainly be reasonable evidence that doesn't lead to a conviction, after all.

Quote:
First question, NOOOO! They arranged a deal, its called compromise, in which nEITHER party gets all it wants.

Second question, yes, I'd fire them if twice a equally violent crime is committed.

Third question, NO. Juries are NOT supposed to be professionals. DAs are professionals, and just as Arthur Anderson partners paid the ultimate price economically with careers destroyed, their failure merits equal justice. 2 failures putting INNOCENT people to death should = END of law career. Go flip burgers.
D.A's don't put anyone to death, they don't decide the punishment.

What happens if a person turns out to be innocent, but the facts of the case at the time of trial supported a conviction?

Old 09-22-2011, 12:27 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,965,821 times
It would need definition, but Il DA(s) were little more just than barbarians in totlitarian states. You can't miss 50% w/o trying to.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:36 AM

954 posts, read 1,280,644 times
Quote:
It would need definition, but Il DA(s) were little more just than barbarians in totlitarian states. You can't miss 50% w/o trying to.
Miss 50%? There were 13 death sentences that were overturned, and the governor commuted the remaining 167 death sentences to life. I'm not sure when those 13 death sentences were overturned, so there may in fact have been more than 167 people on death row during the period of time in which the 13 sentences were overturned.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:41 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,965,821 times
He commuted them based on investigations which raised suspicions amongst 50%. Good move by the gov, who ADMITTED a scandal existed. The entire group of DA offices involved should have been dismissed.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:46 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I agree. But I think this should apply to all cases that were fraudulently prosecuted, and mandatory minimum sentences imposed for police and prosecution deliberately tampering with evidence and fabricating it. No more of this slap on the wrist crap that almost always involves administrative leave with pay for a few weeks

In cases where police or prosecutors fabricate or withhold evidence they should be subject to criminal penalties equal to the person the framed. This should include the death penalty.

However, it is possible for a mistake to be make. I'm sure most of us have all seen the Shawshank Redemption or the Fugitive.

There is a big difference between fabrication and making a mistake.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:50 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The only injustice was to those Davis murdered and their surviving families.
What about the countless cases where the DA and the police are in cohoots? What about those have spent years in prison or on deathrow to found innocent or evidence supressed? Truthfully I don't know if he did it or not and will not take sides.

Just to change the subject, I found it interesting that the family of Mr Byrd forgave a man that planned the murder of their father, while in the davis case they could'nt wait for him to be executed. I guess some folks are more forgiving than others

Old 09-22-2011, 09:53 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,317,542 times
I really believe why some prosecutors are against letting excons vote. Think about it, most of us has never had to face a lawyer with your life/freedom on the line. Ex convicts have seen the uglyness of the system and would be able to vote accordingly in large blocks

Old 09-22-2011, 10:05 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,371 times
Hmm, when it comes to the death penalty, there should be no doubt whatsoever that the defendant is guilty.

I propose that, should an man get killed, and come to find out later that he was innocent, all those involved in the prosecution, should either loose their job, or be executed themselves.

This would provide the LEO, Lawyers etc all on the prosecution side, enough incentive to make DAM sure their not executing an innocent man.

Executing innocent people is a serious matter and should not be taken lightly.

Edit:

On second thought, scratch that.

Our system is completely rotten to the core and the only thing that would happen in this case, is the state and corrupt officials would make sure that even if an innocent man was killed, the facts and evidence supporting his innocence would never make it to the courts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies