Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 02:12 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times

Advertisements

Senator John Kerry says: "D.O.M.A. was legalized discrimination and an abuse of the Constitution for political reasons".

D.O.M.A. denies more that 1,100 Federal Benefits, including Social Security and Tax Benefits to a segment of society and is therefore unconstitutional and discriminatory.

Kerry: Repeal the Defense of Marriage Act | News Story on 365gay.com

The RESPECT FOR MARRIAGE ACT will repeal key sections of D.O.M.A.; essentially allowing those states that implemented same sex marriage to have federal benefits for married same sex couples and to transfer those same federal benefits to other states if the couple were to move for example.

HRC | Respect for Marriage Act

Respect for Marriage Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Respect for Marriage Act to Repeal DOMA Introduced in U.S. House and Senate | Common Dreams

Democrats Aim For DOMA Repeal

Bill Summary & Status - 112th Congress (2011 - 2012) - H.R.1116 - All Information - THOMAS (Library of Congress)&

Lambda Legal: Lambda Legal: Introduction of Respect for Marriage Act a Watershed Moment

Sounds like a great idea to me with justice finally being implementated. However it is only a step in the right direction and mainly will nullify D.O.M.A., but not grant equal rights on a national level......yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 02:14 PM

45,210 posts, read 26,424,445 times
The federal government needs an "ignore marriage act" and be done with it.
Can't be any more fair than that.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:17 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,166,323 times
Civil unions for all adults of consenting age.
Can't be more fair than that.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Civil unions for all adults of consenting age.
Can't be more fair than that.
Works for me.......where do we sign up.......After more than 28 years together we want to make our marriage legal!. I don't care what you call it......but think about this.....saying that we are "unionized" just is not going to sound right and may give the connotation that we are in business together. But as long as we have equal rights.....I'm willing to compromise.

However would America truly allow gays equal rights just because we change semantics and go from "marriage" to civil unions??????? We'll see.

Straight posters.......what say you.....WILL YOU VOTE FOR GAY CIVIL UNIONS????????

Old 03-18-2011, 02:22 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,368,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Senator John Kerry says: "D.O.M.A. was legalized discrimination and an abuse of the Constitution for political reasons".

D.O.M.A. denies more that 1,100 Federal Benefits, including Social Security and Tax Benefits to a segment of society and is therefore unconstitutional and discriminatory.

The RESPECT FOR MARRIAGE ACT will repeal key sections of D.O.M.A.; essentially allowing those states that implemented same sex marriage to have federal benefits for married same sex couples and to transfer those same federal benefits to other states if the couple were to move for example.

Respect for Marriage Act to Repeal DOMA Introduced in U.S. House and Senate | Common Dreams

Bill Summary & Status - 112th Congress (2011 - 2012) - H.R.1116 - All Information - THOMAS (Library of Congress)&

Lambda Legal: Lambda Legal: Introduction of Respect for Marriage Act a Watershed Moment

Sounds like a great idea to me with justice finally being implemented. However it is only a step in the right direction and mainly will nullify D.O.M.A., but not grant equal rights on a national level......yet!

What a great idea!

That way one state legislature can make laws for all the other states!

That will definitely be more efficient than having individual states write their own laws. In fact, we can close down all the state legislatures except for the one liberals like best since those laws will apply in all other states.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:33 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,396 times
Quote:

Sounds like a great idea to me with justice finally being implementated. However it is only a step in the right direction and mainly will nullify D.O.M.A., but not grant equal rights on a national level......yet!
This is the stupidest thing ever, where government has to be involved in marriage at all. Seriously because religion and marriage are together we even discussing this. I think from now on we need to look at how we view marriage.
Go to the government and ask for the right to give all legal and medical benefits to a person to be named by you as a individual, and if you want to called it a person your married to that is fine but your not marriage in the eyes of the government nor do they care who you want to love and or have "marraige benefits"

If insurance companies don't like it people will find ones that do, for medical and or others issues. "Marriage" between a man or women should have no benefit in society over anything else PERIOD! A single person should get the same treatment and or no treatment period based on your RELATIONSHIP STATUS. You are a individual period and if you want to be with one person the rest of your life and have a ceremony that is great the government shouldn't care their way and doesn't need to give you anything to prove your with that person any legal way.
Go to any lawyer and ask to have some medical and or legal rights with your partner, straight, gay whatever. All forms of taxes and or government should not be asking your relationship status it is in some way complete basis against groups of people.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:34 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,166,323 times
Quote:
Works for me.......where do we sign up
Wish you could do it at the courthouse, just like I did.

Quote:
.......After more than 28 years together we want to make our marriage legal!.
I just want to tell you, like I've probably done a hundred times, I think it's amazing that you and your spouse (yes, I said SPOUSE, not partner) have stayed together for so long (longer than I've been alive!) despite all the trials and tribulations that society has spat upon you.

You make the hopeless romantic inside of me giggle like a little school girl.

Quote:
I don't care what you call it......but think about this.....saying that we are "unionized" just is not going to sound right and may give the connotation that we are in business together.
It's that whole rose with another name thing. It really would smell as sweet if given to all with all the same freedoms, rights, privileges, and benefits.

Quote:
But as long as we have equal rights.....I'm willing to compromise.

However would America truly allow gays equal rights just because we change semantics and go from "marriage" to civil unions??????? We'll see.

Straight posters.......what say you.....WILL YOU VOTE FOR GAY CIVIL UNIONS????????
Well, I'm more of a "pseudo-androgynous bisexual with a prevailing attraction towards females yet married to a male" poster moreso than a straight one...

But.

I'll definitely be first in line to shred my marriage certificate and/or turn it in for a civil union if that means you can have one, too.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
This is the stupidest thing ever, where government has to be involved in marriage at all. Seriously because religion and marriage are together we even discussing this. I think from now on we need to look at how we view marriage.
Go to the government and ask for the right to give all legal and medical benefits to a person to be named by you as a individual, and if you want to called it a person your married to that is fine but your not marriage in the eyes of the government nor do they care who you want to love and or have "marraige benefits"

If insurance companies don't like it people will find ones that do, for medical and or others issues. "Marriage" between a man or women should have no benefit in society over anything else PERIOD! A single person should get the same treatment and or no treatment period based on your RELATIONSHIP STATUS. You are a individual period and if you want to be with one person the rest of your life and have a ceremony that is great the government shouldn't care their way and doesn't need to give you anything to prove your with that person any legal way.
Go to any lawyer and ask to have some medical and or legal rights with your partner, straight, gay whatever. All forms of taxes and or government should not be asking your relationship status it is in some way complete basis against groups of people.
Don't get your teats in a twist......calm down.....otherwise noone will take your posts seriously!!!!!(like me)..

I hate to burst your bubble but families often contest gay legal contracts and more often than not the families win.....but by all means try again.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Wish you could do it at the courthouse, just like I did.

I just want to tell you, like I've probably done a hundred times, I think it's amazing that you and your spouse (yes, I said SPOUSE, not partner) have stayed together for so long (longer than I've been alive!) despite all the trials and tribulations that society has spat upon you.

You make the hopeless romantic inside of me giggle like a little school girl.

It's that whole rose with another name thing. It really would smell as sweet if given to all with all the same freedoms, rights, privileges, and benefits.

Well, I'm more of a "pseudo-androgynous bisexual with a prevailing attraction towards females yet married to a male" poster moreso than a straight one...

But.

I'll definitely be first in line to shred my marriage certificate and/or turn it in for a civil union if that means you can have one, too.
Thanx for the great post and your honesty.....I appreciate it.

I really don't care what people want to call gay marriage as long as we have equal rights and equal access to marital benefits. They can use whatever reasoning they like.

However, in my heart of hearts I know we will be married!

Yes it is much more difficult for gay guys to remain together. Look at the straight divorce rate of 50%. Then consider we have no societal or family or religious institutions in place to help gay couples remain together........while straight couples do.

So yes I am proud of our relationship of 28 years and I am proud that my spouse.....LOL.... served 8 years in the Army defending our country.

Thankyou for your last sentence....That means a lot to me.......

I just don't understand why some people think gay folks are some kind of threat to them........we just want to be respected like everyone else and live in peace..

Old 03-18-2011, 03:30 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,934,385 times
You know, it's funny. Obama and the dems had the WH, a huge majority in the House, a super majority in the Senate...and they couldn't get it done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies