Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 02:49 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,331,170 times

Advertisements

(BAY MINETTE, Ala.) - A Baldwin County city is turning to churches instead as an option to keep criminals out of jail.

"It's not a crime prevention program,' Bay Minette Police Chief Mike Rowland said, "It's a crime intervention program."

Pastor Bruce Hooks says he's ready to give it a try.

"Oh, yeah! I'm excited, man. I'm eager, anticipating!"

The chief and the pastor are talking about a new initiative that, with the help of a judge, would allow some first time offenders to wind up in church rather than jail.

Fifty-six churches have agreed to take part in Operation ROC: Restore Our Community.

"What we wanted to do is target that group of people who most likely would have a chance to be more productive in our community," Rowland said.
Advertise | AdChoices

Judges who currently sentence offenders to jail time or community service would have another option to offer qualifying first time, non-violent offenders. Instead of going to jail for a year, that offender could choose to avoid a cell entirely and go to Sunday church services for a year.

"We're hoping that," Rowland explained, "through this program for the next year, we will take a substancial number who are sentenced and turn them around and let them become productive people in the community."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44619557#.TnzWJl3aGSo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 04:07 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,285,615 times
As long as it wasn't one of those Obama Rev. Wright racist churches it should be good.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:08 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,059,627 times
I think I would choose jail then a fundy loon group of churches.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:13 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
I need some yardwork done...

Old 09-24-2011, 04:15 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
This action is insane, as having grown up in an RCC I refuse to set foot in again, thousands of priests belonged in jail, not church. Fitting it is being done in rural, unsophisticated America.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:23 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,053,429 times
This is blatantly unconstitutional. It allows someone to pay a civil "debt" by virtue of participating in religious ceremonies. It also forces, by government sanction, offenders to choose between a loss of freedom and affiliation with one of the participating churches.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
As it is a choice, I am not quite sure how this is unconstitutional.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:02 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,888 times
I'd choose church over jail. I'm conversant with the Bible and can discuss it even if not believing it. I'd choose community service over either jail or church.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:08 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I wouldn't like this option since the churches will no doubt be leaning heavily on the person to convert and act in a supervisory capactiy to ensure they go each Sunday. I suppose if the option truly IS a year in jail it might seem better, but I'm actually doubting that would be the case. If someone could get away with church on Sunday then I'm guessing they would have a short sentence anyway and not an entire year in lockup. Jails are crowded ya kno. And it means their crime was hardly worth considering anyway. Church won't make anyone a better person or keep them out of jail.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:13 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
(BAY MINETTE, Ala.) - A Baldwin County city is turning to churches instead as an option to keep criminals out of jail.

"It's not a crime prevention program,' Bay Minette Police Chief Mike Rowland said, "It's a crime intervention program."

Pastor Bruce Hooks says he's ready to give it a try.

"Oh, yeah! I'm excited, man. I'm eager, anticipating!"

The chief and the pastor are talking about a new initiative that, with the help of a judge, would allow some first time offenders to wind up in church rather than jail.

Fifty-six churches have agreed to take part in Operation ROC: Restore Our Community.

"What we wanted to do is target that group of people who most likely would have a chance to be more productive in our community," Rowland said.
Advertise | AdChoices

Judges who currently sentence offenders to jail time or community service would have another option to offer qualifying first time, non-violent offenders. Instead of going to jail for a year, that offender could choose to avoid a cell entirely and go to Sunday church services for a year.

"We're hoping that," Rowland explained, "through this program for the next year, we will take a substancial number who are sentenced and turn them around and let them become productive people in the community."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44619557#.TnzWJl3aGSo

Hmmm, no mosques? No temples?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies