Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 05:50 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times

Advertisements

I was curious if there was any kind of requirement that a program or film do something to encourage tourism in the Garden State in order to qualify for the credit. Apparently there isn't, the idea is simply to bring this type of business into the state. And there is a brochure describing the tax credit which specifically mentions the Sopranos (*coff coff*) so evidently NJ didn't have a problem promoting a certain kind of image a couple of years ago.

Still I can understand the taxpyer outrage. Seriously, when jobs and state funding of needed programs are on the line, would you want to be the one to sign off on a tax credit for this crap? I'd me mad as hell if it were my taxes paying for it.

N.J. senator wants to expand program that awarded 'Jersey Shore' $420K tax credit | NJ.com

http://www.njfilm.org/PDFs/TaxCreditsForFilmingInNJ.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 06:19 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default a poor attempt at humor?

"the Left" tolerates a wide range of views."

Ahhhh.....

A poor attempt at humor?

A truly rabid partisan comment having nothing to do with reality?

No access to any form of media?

Brainwashed ?

For the record, perhaps a clarification of left vs right might be in order. Could very well be that if 'tolerance of a wide range of views' is important, the 'right' has a dedicated friend who is a bit confused on left/ right terminology.

Stunning comment that should cause everyone to think about who they wish to stand shoulder to shoulder with in the political and social areanas.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:25 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,644 times
First off, the free speech argument is ridiculous. This is not about their freedom to film, it is about whether tax money should help fund it. Free speech does not mean that governments should be forced to subsidize all forms of speech equally.

Secondly, I'm from New Jersey and I can't stand how whenever that fact comes up in conversation, a discussion about Jersey Shore inevitably follows. This has happened 100% of the time that I've had any conversation about New Jersey for the last several years.

All the cast members are from New York, anyway.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:38 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
The saying "you have to spend money to make money" applies to this situation, I think.

New Jersey spent money (in the form of tax breaks) to lure these production companies to the state, in the hope that they would bring more revenue in. However, at some point, when NJ is struggling economically, it is wise to do a little bookkeeping and find out if the revenue from something really outweighs the tax breaks given.

If the tax breaks cost more than the incoming revenue, then it's time to shut it down; maybe start up again in a more profitable year.

Every state is in competition with others; all want businesses that will bring jobs and revenue. Tax breaks are a way to beat the competition, but not when they become a detriment.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:40 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Governor Christie "unprincipled?" But...but...he's the new Republican golden boy, now being eagerly sought to run for President.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:54 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Gov. Christie to Snookie: No tax break for you - Business - US business - msnbc.com

I thought Republicans were supposed to treat everyone equally and support freedom of speech. Guess not.
Actually he IS supporting freedom of speech. Everyone has the right to say what they want, and the State is supporting it's right to not support a TV show.

Since when should the people of New Jersey fund a tv show, that should be funding itself and making it's OWN money. If it cannot survive on it's own merit, then it goes away.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:55 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Gov. Christie hurts the State's image.
He is a small-minded, petty bully. Soon the rest of the country will know what we know here in NJ.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:10 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
New Jersey spent money (in the form of tax breaks) to lure these production companies to the state, in the hope that they would bring more revenue in. However, at some point, when NJ is struggling economically, it is wise to do a little bookkeeping and find out if the revenue from something really outweighs the tax breaks given.

If the tax breaks cost more than the incoming revenue, then it's time to shut it down; maybe start up again in a more profitable year.

Every state is in competition with others; all want businesses that will bring jobs and revenue. Tax breaks are a way to beat the competition, but not when they become a detriment.
True.
But to be fair, they can't single out "Jersey Shore" to NOT get the money if all the other TV and film productions get it.

I can see where giving a tax break to the producers of Jersey Shore might be considered an outrage and provide grist for the mill of people who want to get the budget in line. Can you see the headlines?

"NJ Taxpayers gve Snooki $420,000"

Old 09-27-2011, 08:12 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
He is a small-minded, petty bully. Soon the rest of the country will know what we know here in NJ.
"We" all have different opinions and there are plenty of us in NJ that like what we see from him. I didn't vote for him, however he has been a pleasant surprise.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:19 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
True.
But to be fair, they can't single out "Jersey Shore" to NOT get the money if all the other TV and film productions get it.
Is there a law that says they can't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies