Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 07:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Sorry.
I went to public school in Philadelphia. There were A LOT of very smart, successful black students in my class. Our valedictorian was black.

So, now what?

The ones that do get themselves wrapped up in drugs/crime are still victims? That's absolutely ridiculous. People make their own choices.
Yes, they are victims of their own stupidity. And stupidity doesn't care what race you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 07:50 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
....and? Racism is gone, right?

I also find it funny how some people who jumped at saying "he's HALF black" are now just saying black. Either way, it just means we've evolved past where we are in thinking only old, white males could be president. Other than that, we still have racism.

Again, this is NOT about politics. This isn't about Obama. It's about people not wanting to face what's in front of them.
EVERY race has it's share of racists - Asians don't like blacks, blacks don't like hispanics...we could go on and on.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:59 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
I have been outside this country once, I know about the bigotry in other nations, BUT I say "this country, especially" because we're supposed to be the land of the FREE, the melting pot, ...."give us your poor, you're tired, your huddled masses longing to be free."

If we're supposed to be a world leader and open and accepting to ALL, we sometimes have a poor showing of that.
I've been to almost twenty countries and have seen horrors.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:07 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I really don't get the point behind these rants and whining. Personally I thing America has changed a lot. Was a black president conceivable 5 years ago, not to mention a generation back? But that is only my humble opinion and opposite ideas are as legitimate.
What I really don't get is the repeated beating of this dead horse discussion. If you really feel America will never change, posting every day (about the hopeless situation) helps? Will the racists say: Wait a minute, someone said so on City-Data...hmm...from tomorrow I will stop being a racist!
But America has changed,...it's now gangs of blacks attacking whites instead of the other way around.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:13 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
I like that YouTube of those folks who rallied to lift a burning car off a motorcyclist trapped underneath it.

Racism sure played a part there alrighty. Eveyone who showed up crabbed a piece of that car, white, black, females, males, blue collar, suits, they all saw what was needed and grabbed on.

Like to think that'll be the case if and when.

O/P: it's easy to focus on events that support a cynical and pessimistic viewpoint but spend a little more time scouring for examples of enlightend behaviour and your rewards will perhaps dispell that gloom and doom.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:29 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
I say this because people here are either:

TOO sensitive
TOO ignorant
TOO proud
TOO stupid
TOO confused
TOO unwilling
TOO bitter
TOO biased
TOO careless
TOO upity
& TOO afraid to accept the fact that there are "different" people here and face that fact head on. Those who seriously are racist are the biggest morons on the planet, sure. But a lot of us (mainly people born before 1980) aren't really trying to change since so many hold on to past events.

Maybe one day this world (but this country, especially) can get past that. But until then.... at least could some of posters THINK before you type what you're saying in?

That would be a small, but noticable step.
As long as Progressives continue to play identity politics no, we never will get past anything other than more divisivness in this country.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:28 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I dare ask: what would your definitions of a non-race influenced society be?

Can you describe this utopia in less than 4 milliion words?

When you make this characterization of the country as a whole; are you including ALL races or just the two that jump into your mind firstly?

I could go at this forever but if you say it is so, then for you at least, you're quite correct.
Yes, this includes EVERYONE.

The current generation (my generation) isn't nearly as bad as say, the JFK era. Hell, races relations are better than they were even in the early 90's.

But there will always be those who keep an ignorant mind, and they have kids who sometimes DON'T develop their own views. That keeps us all behind.

I would hope to see us ALL embrace who we are, but who knows how that'll work.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
LOL what a dumb thread, race is a factor in every country.
Yeah, no s***, dude. Apparently you didn't read or can't read, but I mentioned the WORLD a couple times now.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
hmmm, i was born before 1960, does that mean you think i am a racist? even though you have absolutely NO CLUE about my attitude towards people?

well let me clue you in then. first i dont give a damn about skin color, all that is, is the amount of melanin in the skin that makes it darker or lighter depending on how much is there. martin luther king said he looked forward to the day where people were judged by the content of their character and not the color of their skin(yes i know it isnt the exact quote, sue me i paraphrased). and i took that to heart.
I was speaking in general as past generations are obviously different in terms of race, sexual orientation, religon... pretty much half of what you'll mark on a Census seemed to be a bigger deal.

Good that you specifically aren't racist, but there's no denying race relations (and other social and civil issues) were worse than they are now.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:39 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
I was speaking in general as past generations are obviously different in terms of race, sexual orientation, religon... pretty much half of what you'll mark on a Census seemed to be a bigger deal.

Good that you specifically aren't racist, but there's no denying race relations (and other social and civil issues) were worse than they are now.
I was born in the '60s. Race relations are at a worse point now than they have been in my lifetime. Liberal policies of identity politics and dividing this country into "special interest" groups are largely to blame, IMO. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies