Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 08:37 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times

Advertisements

Do not waterboard, play loud music or otherwise make captured terrorists uncomfortable.

Shoot them in the face and whack them with missiles in the field.

The lefties became unhinged when we waterboarded the #2 terrorist.

Then they applauded the invading of a sovereign nation and shooting the #1 guy in the face, even going as far as to say that that mission guaranteed obama's reelection.

Do you lefties have any standards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 09:01 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Given the propensity of our government to label anyone who disagrees with it's policies a "terrorist", I think it's best they prove their case in a court of law for all to see.

FYI not a lefty.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:13 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Do you have evidence that only "lefties" are cheering this? Right wingers are the warmongers.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:16 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Do not waterboard, play loud music or otherwise make captured terrorists uncomfortable.

Then they applauded the invading of a sovereign nation and shooting the #1 guy in the face, even going as far as to say that that mission guaranteed obama's reelection.

Having trouble coping with the fact that Obama is winning the war on terror?

Al Qaeda’s second in command killed in drone strike: US

Anwar Awlaki killed by U.S. drone in Yemen

Old 10-01-2011, 09:18 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
Bush had the right idea, he just didn't know what he was doing.

Obama is going to finish what Bush started except he isn't going to screw it up.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:30 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Waterboarding bad....assassination good.

Assassination eliminates the need to continue vigilance against the enemy. Waterboarding just leaves the terrorist as a whining victim... a universal hero of the left.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:36 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
I think you have quite a problem on your hands there. Firstly I have to say that I'm all infavour of taking a guy like this out. He was a clear and present danger to the republic, no doubt about that at all. However, I believe that according to the Constitution of the USA such action is illegal. The only thing really that sets countries like Canada and the USA apart from most of the world is that we are counties that are under "The rule of law". It's a very slippery slope you embark upon when you begin to act outside of the law of the land.

Why could this man not have been tried in absentia and even sentenced to death for treason before killing him with no legal framework at all to justify the action.
Does this mean that from now on any American citizen can be killed just by a unilateral declaration by the executive branch of the government? I would say that this is a very very dangerous action that could have very serious repercussions for civiil liberties.

This action illustrates very well that "THE LAW" is not absolute in the country but is relative. If for instance both houses of congress had been republican controlled? Would the president have ordered this action? I doubt it very much because it's clearly an action that breaks his oath of office and it surely must be an impeachable crime on that basis.

I really don't think we should allow our free democratic societies to sink to the level of those we are at war with.

I have alway really disliked all of those Hollywood productions that picture the American government as this horrible, evil, all powerful entity that opperates however it wants to, outside of the law and any constraints at all. Killing those who oppose it and just generally acting like what we would expect from a country like the USSR.
I never believed that to be in any way a reality but sadly today I'm thinking, maybe I have been wrong all these years.

Last edited by lucknow; 10-01-2011 at 09:54 AM..

Old 10-01-2011, 09:38 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

You should go on over to the other thread on this topic where you will find "lefties" such as myself agruing with "cons" such as yourself over this. Many of the cons are in favor of this action, and many of us lefties are against it. Why does everything have to be my team, your team rah rah rah with you? It's not helpful.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:39 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Given the propensity of our government to label anyone who disagrees with it's policies a "terrorist", I think it's best they prove their case in a court of law for all to see.

FYI not a lefty.
Courts of law are for trying criminals, not terrorists...

Old 10-01-2011, 09:45 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Do you have evidence that only "lefties" are cheering this? Right wingers are the warmongers.
You keep telling yourself that. how many countries did Clinton decide to send in our military? Obama even started a new war, and did not even bother to discuss it with the congress or the people first.

I think if you go thru all the armed conflicts and wars the US has engaged in, you'll find the lion's share of them were started by democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies