Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2007, 09:09 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,680,506 times

Advertisements

LI clearly fell prey to the cheap money lie.
(Good news for Muttontown... bad news for Levittown)

What do you make of GWB's MortgageAid, is it just "too little too late" lip service or is it the beginning of some very overdue lending reform?

Bush to outline subprime mortgage initiative - Yahoo! News (broken link)

"Hardy-har-har suckers!!!!!" could be heard as the 2% laughed all the way to the bank"

C

PS

When the S4it hits the fan....Duck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 09:32 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,580,974 times
The government should focus on predatory lending firms and let the rest shake itself out.

When I was laid off in 2003 it was at the onset of our war in Iraq. President Bush announced that it would take $70 billion to rebuild their infrastructure and congress approved the plan. It was one of the worst job markets in my lifetime, people here were starting a slide into financial oblivion and we were sending tax dollars to foreign soil. And even under those circumstances I didn't believe the government was responsible for fixing my problem (though I thought it wrong that they'd help the Iraqi people before their own citizens).

No one put a gun to anyone's head and made people apply for bad mortgages. When I bought my Long Island downfall in 2002 I did so only because I could put down nearly 1/3 of the price and use a conventional (non-jumbo) mortgage to finance the rest. I never, ever, ever would've taken out a no-money down loan or an interest only deal.

It killed me to use our equity to pay our monthly bills but in the moment it was the only sane choice when it came to my family and my children. I don't regret my decision; I only wish I'd managed the aftermath better. We should've sacrificed more when the money started flowing again to shed our excess debt. It might not have prevented us from needing to relocate but it would've bought us more time, maybe enough to get our children through high school.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:22 PM

8,818 posts, read 21,294,000 times
I'm not sure I understand. If I worked hard and paid off my whole mortgage by myself & my neighbor wasted his money on cars and vacations and is now in default, then my taxes pay to bail him out ? Is that how it is? Clamboy?

Old 09-01-2007, 06:43 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,680,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I'm not sure I understand. If I worked hard and paid off my whole mortgage by myself & my neighbor wasted his money on cars and vacations and is now in default, then my taxes pay to bail him out ? Is that how it is? Clamboy?

Lets hope not....I dont agree with it either.
We lived beneath our means..why should we be penalized?

However I do believe that the Mortgage industry needs a sweeping overhaul.
They definitely drove the wrong behavior at the expense of others for their own personal gain.
Those SOBs are worse than the Fund Managers who hoodwinked pre Enron America.

Its time to put the skunk on the table.

Karmas a beeeotch....and so is Hillary.

Stay tuned...more will be revealed.

C

Old 09-01-2007, 07:10 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,407,908 times
add insurance to the list of needed reforms.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:32 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,182,532 times
I believe some people were victims of predatory lenders... The people I include in this category are those who could have qualified for a fixed rate mortgage but were put in some "exotic" mortgage instead -- and I believe those people should be helped, if possible. (These would be the people who could actually afford the homes they chose to buy under the traditional rules for getting a mortgage.) My idea of "rescue" would involve things like waiving the prepayment penalty and allowing them to refinance at a fixed rate... But those are the only people I believe we should be helping.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:35 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,493,607 times
Not to burst anyone's bubbles, but none of the reforms is out to help people. They are out to help the financial industry. Which, as it happens, needs doing...

Old 09-01-2007, 11:52 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,950,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Not to burst anyone's bubbles, but none of the reforms is out to help people. They are out to help the financial industry. Which, as it happens, needs doing...
I'll take your word on the idea that the industry needs help as I don't know enough about those particulars.

What kind of help though? Bailouts? Tighter lending controls and rules of doing business?

I'm leery of shoving money at businesses that did a poor job of managing their business or wrecklessly gambled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies